Flatlander Warning - Grain Bags

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a warning to all our flatland riders this winter to watch out for our Grain Bags. There has been a big crop produced and there are many of these bags in the fields.

Firstly, your safety is the utmost important, a direct hit at high speeds could cause drastic consequences.

Secondly, if you hit one and open the bag, please report to the nearest producer so measures can be taken to clean up the grain. It is our livelihood, most would welcome the notice.

Take care and caution and watch for the flatland landmines.....

Attachments

• Grain Bag.jpg
    Grain Bag.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 552

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may see them out in the field from the highway and think "Who's the dummy who wouldn't notice those??"

But they are hard to see, as the bags themselves are white and all are drifted in now. Be careful!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you stick a ski into one you will be going azz over tea kettle big time.

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Them bags are dangerous they should at least be a different colour but im sure they must be made somewhere that they dont have snow

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A hazard yes. A liability maybe.

As a groomer operator, because of people's inattentiveness, I have to stake hazards, both on private land and on Crown Land. Like dangerous bridge crossings and large rocks that may have been placed by a flood. I also have to warn people of possible stumps on the trail with signage.

Logging companies are always looking at ways to lessen the liability on their land or the land that they manage. Is it a good thing in the interest of liability that when these are place in a known snowmobile area that they be somehow marked?

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing like hitting a 5 foot high sand bag at 80mph. I missed a buck by about 4 feet on my sled this morning luckly i wasen't going to fast but still no time to stop.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing like hitting a 5 foot high sand bag at 80mph. I missed a buck by about 4 feet on my sled this morning luckly i wasen't going to fast but still no time to stop.

Unlike the buck, the grain bags won't jump into - or onto - you :D

I seem to recall silage bags and bale wraps being white too. As always, we all just have to be aware of our surroundings and keep the speed down in unfamiliar territory. In addition to eff'n up your sled and costing the farmer money is lost/damaged product, you might kill yourself. Worse still you might live as a quadriplegic and just be a burden to your family. :underweathemsn:

Ah hell - I am lecturing like the father that I am. Sorry 'bout that everyone. Turn sharp and PUNCH IT
:beerchug:
These icon are weird

Thedoityouselfguy

Reaction score
Yes please even just ramping over the end of the bag can actually cause it to tear or split all the way down the top. The bag costs over a grand......if there is commodity in the bag....like canola seed........around $150 000.00 per bag......please be careful!

And I couldn't agree more with marking your bags....a good indicator are jugs on poles and other crazy farmer contraptions for keeping wildlife away!

Last edited:

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard that someone ran a sled up on top of a few tubes in Wetaskawin. They ran full length and split them open the whole way. No one was found.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard that someone ran a sled up on top of a few tubes in Wetaskawin. They ran full length and split them open the whole way. No one was found.

God, that's a Dick move!! Betcha the body would never be found if that producer knew who did it!!

Top Bottom