VERY IMPORTANT--READ--- Special Public Avalanche Warning January 15-17, 2010

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
The Canadian Avalanche Centre will issue a Special Public Avalanche Warning for the period of Friday, January 15 to Sunday, January 17.

We apologize for the short notice on this action. Our decision to issue a warning evolved rapidly based on an unfavourable weather forecast that delays cooling beyond the weekend as well as continued reports of avalanche activity related to persistent weak layers in the snowpack. These reports came from many sources. Here are our key thoughts on the need for this warning:

SPAW

January 14, 2010

What’s the problem?

We’re waiting for the freeze and it’s not coming

There is a main persistent weak layer and a couple of secondary ones with more loading expected. Cooler weather will greatly improve this situation but the forecast is not promising

Warm temperatures, rain at low elevations, heavy snow at higher elevations, and strong winds is producing cycles of avalanche activity involving both the old, deeply buried weak layers and storm snow layers.

Snow and wind are expected to slow down or stop during the weekend but warm temperatures are forecast to continue. Things are not expected to improve significantly until sometime next week after several days of cooler weather.

Even though fewer avalanches are occurring, those that are being triggered are larger and more destructive. This is a common recipe for avalanche fatalities: downward trending avalanche activity with upward trending consequences.

Where is the problem most pronounced?

The magnitude of the problem does not decrease at lower elevations as it often does: although the root causes are different, significant hazard exists at Treeline and Below Treeline as well as in Alpine elevations.

All aspects.

The Northern Rocky Mountains, the Cariboo Mountains, the eastern Monashee Mountains, the Selkirk Mountains, and the Purcell Mountains.

This includes riding areas accessed from and around:

Tumbler Ridge

Grande Prairie

Prince George

Grande Cache

Dawson Creek/Ft. St. John

Revelstoke

Golden

McBride

Valemount

Blue River

Wells

Williams Lake

Clearwater

Invermere

Nakusp

New Denver

Kaslo

How to manage risk:

Check the CAC forecasts at Welcome to avalanche.ca for the most current and up to date information to help you plan your trip.

Wait until several days of cool weather have stabilized the snowpack.

Increase your margins of safety even if you do not observe any avalanche activity.

Travel Recommendations:

Stick to flat terrain not threatened from above

One at a time when crossing avalanche paths.

Regroup in heavy timber or in obvious non-avalanche terrain

Boondocking in very low angle terrain with no large open slopes above.

Highmarking is not recommended.

Your feedback on this action is welcome as always. Normally we attempt to issue a pre-warning with sufficient advance time so that you can offer us your insights as well as prepare for any additional workload. Once again I apologize for the quick turn around this time.

Best Regards,

John Kelly,

Operations Manager,

Canadian Avalanche Centre,

Revelstoke, BC

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
Here are a couple videos checking the snow pack south of Valemount last week... there is a weak layer there waiting to go with some warm weather/heavy snow... play carefully out there guys!

The second video is where the scary slide would break!!! Huge solid chunks woud be set free it it broke at this weak layer!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgqqorMhVl8[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6a3pbmiXc&feature=related[/media]

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
be safe everyone it is extreamly unsafe out there.

thanks for the vids!

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
i think when weather and condtions are like that that the areas should be closed for saftey, and if you wanna ride that your basically riding in a closed area for the time being. be safe everyone it is extreamly unsafe out there. its worth posponing a trip for now.

thanks for the vids!

Not to get into a p*ssing match but I don't agree with closing an area because of elevated avalanche concerns. I might be in agreement with closing some of the trails but not a whole area. There are unsafe trails in high avalanche danger and there are trails with no avalanche danger at all within kilometers of each other.

To shut down areas or to shut down the back-country because of elevated avalanche risk is too much IMHO. As riders we have to be responsible, manage the risk, and ride where it is safe.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just cancelled my plans - going to stay home and make sure I get to sled another day.

Be safe folks.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As true as this (we SHOULD be able to control our own actions), sadly enough I gaurantee people will be climbing at EVERY location.

I just hope everybody comes home safe.

I too have decided to stay home this weekend and wrench on the sled for another weekend. Just not worth it.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad there can't be a commercial that shows a sledder riding in unsafe conditions, that does make it out of an avalanche, then show his family crying at home with the words coming across the screen. "sledding in extremely high risk avalanche conditions could be lethal, WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO LOSE" just like the drunk driving commercials. Something needs to be done to make more families alert to when their father, husband, brother, sister, mother etc, are going out in bad conditions. I know my brothers wife will not let him go when it's high risk. I call him a pansy because we don't go, but hey were still here. I know I want go sledding in a terrible way when I am done my shift of work on Tuesday but I will definitely check the conditions. Maybe I just might have time to find an avalanche course. Cheers.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have forwarded the "Special Public Avalanche Warning". To the 2 main local radio stations here in Grande Prairie. Just heard them announce the warning on both stations.
Think there is anything else a guy should be doing?????
Maybe CFRN News??????

KOBY

Good job Koby, I actually heard that on the radio. I forgot. I have been up here in GP since the 2nd. Ya that was awesome, not sure how to do that kind of thing. Just phone it in or what. Will they just play a warning like that for anybody or do you have to be a VIP because I know you guys are like old owls...er...I mean gold. Calgary should be doing it too on their stations. Good thinking.

BonBon

Reaction score
Does anyone have any predictions for the Valemount/Blueriver area for the last weekend of January? We've planned a trip for the 29th and 30th and were wondering what the predictions for safe riding would be? :confused:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any predictions for the Valemount/Blueriver area for the last weekend of January? We've planned a trip for the 29th and 30th and were wondering what the predictions for safe riding would be? :confused:

that's to far off for anyone to know, things can change daily.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Phone the station.....Asked how its done.....Honey on the phone said e-mail the stuff over.....Did that and included CAC website for authenticty.....Done.

What ya working on in these parts there bucko?

Finishing some completions just north of TeePee Creek.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good job Koby, I actually heard that on the radio. I forgot. I have been up here in GP since the 2nd. Ya that was awesome, not sure how to do that kind of thing. Just phone it in or what. Will they just play a warning like that for anybody or do you have to be a VIP because I know you guys are like old owls...er...I mean gold. Calgary should be doing it too on their stations. Good thinking.

I know while driving to work today Candis from X92.9 mentioned it in her news report that there has been an avalanche warning report issued for most of B.C.

Will that stop people? No.

Some blame it on not looking or knowing, but this is something ALL (I mean EVERY sledder) should check before heading out. Even during making plans to go out. The next step is to let it sink in and control your actions by knowing the conditions. It's up to us to stay safe.

I know I signed up for the reports on my blackberry so I take 5-10 minutes every day to check and review them and keep an eye on what's going on. I knew this weekend would be bad last weekend.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You won't see me anywhere near the slopes for the next week. Life is too short. As much as I love the sport, I'd give it up in a heart beat to get to see my son's grow to give me grandchildren. Something tells me you're still gonna see the Heros, wearing their capes trying to hit the highmark out there this weekend.

powderpusher

Reaction score
i hope everbody reads this post and follows the recomendations set out in it,we all enjoy high marking and playing in the powder but lets all ride safe until snow conditions change ,as im sure everyone would like to see all the riders go home safe and sound after the weekend

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know while driving to work today Candis from X92.9 mentioned it in her news report that there has been an avalanche warning report issued for most of B.C.

Will that stop people? No.

Some blame it on not looking or knowing, but this is something ALL (I mean EVERY sledder) should check before heading out. Even during making plans to go out. The next step is to let it sink in and control your actions by knowing the conditions. It's up to us to stay safe.

I know I signed up for the reports on my blackberry so I take 5-10 minutes every day to check and review them and keep an eye on what's going on. I knew this weekend would be bad last weekend.

Just the idiots, why stop 'em.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be riding on monday,tue,wen but I will be riding areas with less risk and staying in
the trees. slides can happen even when being cautious so always stay alert.
I pray that all the guys out this weekend play safe and make it home.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Headed to Sicamous next week (19th to 23rd): any thoughts on the safety issues there? Anyone been lately?

Jay K

Reaction score
Yeah, we were up Allen 14th, slabbing pretty good, stayed in more responsible areas. Tried to get into westridge 15th, felt snow settling in the trees (first tough climb on the trail in). Decided descretion, went for nice ride up the road in 2' fresh, then took the trail back to town, first tracks, still had a great time, a bit short, but all home.
Heavy climbing? NO. Highmarking? No. First tracks? YES!, Good time? YES! Home alive? Yep. Good trip? You bet.
Stay safe, do it again.

Top Bottom