Flat deck or sled deck?

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at upgrading to a one ton longbox, and I'm not sure which would've the better route. I don't care too much about looks especially since it won't be a daily driver. I like how easy it is to load a low flatdeck, and how easy it is to reach everything, but I like all the dry storage you get under a sled deck too. I don't pull a fifth wheel often (only when I borrow the father in laws equipment) but it would be nice to not have to pull the sled deck off every time. what's everyone else's thoughts?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my one tonne dually, removed the stock box and put a 9' flat deck on, I love it.

pizalm

Reaction score
If my truck was a dually I would have put a flat bed on it by now. Be nicer at work to and people wouldn't be denting bed sides reaching over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my one tonne dually, removed the stock box and put a 9' flat deck on, I love it.

I really only need a single rear wheel, but it is easier to find dually long boxes than single long boxes. Thats another thing is I think generic flatbeds are too narrow for two sleds so I might have to have it custom built? If you dont mind me asking what did it cost for the flat deck?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a dodge 3500 1 tonne crew cab long box, tougher to find yes....... I have a sled deck on it, as if I went flat deck there's no where really to store fuel, oil, etc for your sleds. I mean you can get the boxes under the deck but they only hold so much.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ferniesnow has nice set up. Single axle one ton with flat deck with sides that fold down for 2 sleds. One of nicest setups I've seen.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a dodge 3500 1 tonne crew cab long box, tougher to find yes....... I have a sled deck on it, as if I went flat deck there's no where really to store fuel, oil, etc for your sleds. I mean you can get the boxes under the deck but they only hold so much.

Yeah that was part of my concern too. I wonder if it might be possible to have a combo headache/roof rack added to a flat deck to have a spot to hold fuel? I'd have to talk to a deck builder I guess. It might be difficult to make something strong enough.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ferniesnow has nice set up. Single axle one ton with flat deck with sides that fold down for 2 sleds. One of nicest setups I've seen.

I know plio and fernie snow have flatdecks, but I think fernie uses an american company? makes sense since its pretty close for him but I'm quite a ways from the states. I'm hoping they chime in here though with there experiences.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah that was part of my concern too. I wonder if it might be possible to have a combo headache/roof rack added to a flat deck to have a spot to hold fuel? I'd have to talk to a deck builder I guess. It might be difficult to make something strong enough.

Silverlake Manufacturing makes some beauties..... US company so with the dollar being so gross right now it may not be worth the trip, but definitely worth a call.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I know plio and fernie snow have flatdecks, but I think fernie uses an american company? makes sense since its pretty close for him but I'm quite a ways from the states. I'm hoping they chime in here though with there experiences.

Plio's truck is Fernie's old one :)

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looked at the SLM site and I see they do offer an overhead rack. I think I'd be perfectly happy if I could get something like that from somewhere closer to home.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull teh box and modify a sled deck to bolt direct to frame. Then you can add storage in the open space around the wheels.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I still have time to decide because I don't actually have a truck for it yet lol but I'm thinking I'll try to get a deck custom built around here with flip down sides, a roof rack, flip up 5th wheel, and as many under deck boxes as will fit. When I do get a truck I'm planning to keep it for quite a while so I'm sure it will be worth it to get exactly what I want. In the meantime any other opinions are still welcome

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M line in grande prairie does flat decks and sled decks but very $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG00030.jpg IMG00032.jpg this is my deck on my GMC....love it....my sides slid out to 8.6 and I can haul 2 sleds or 2 quads.....once had 3 quads on it but the kids on sat on the ramp that slides in the back.....Im going to build a head ach rack that will have a cargo box above the roof.....I love loading so close to the ground and the only thing I would have changed was to make the exhaust come out the back of the deck instead of lower by the hitch.....they get beat up down there......oh and I cut an access panel above my gas tank to replace the fuel pump now so it is a 10 minute fix rather than having to drop the tank to replace.....man I miss my alum welder.....lol

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 183909View attachment 183910this is my deck on my GMC....love it....my sides slid out to 8.6 and I can haul 2 sleds or 2 quads.....once had 3 quads on it but the kids on sat on the ramp that slides in the back.....Im going to build a head ach rack that will have a cargo box above the roof.....I love loading so close to the ground and the only thing I would have changed was to make the exhaust come out the back of the deck instead of lower by the hitch.....they get beat up down there......oh and I cut an access panel above my gas tank to replace the fuel pump now so it is a 10 minute fix rather than having to drop the tank to replace.....man I miss my alum welder.....lol
Wish I had fab skills but I'm lacking in that department lol

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a flat deck built for 2 sleds and hated it. There wasn't anywhere to put any gear. My old sled deck was great because all the supplies went underneath.
Sticking with a small 2 place trailer now
BTW my flat deck is for sale and is one year old. It fits a single wheel long box chevy

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Silverlake Manufacturing makes some beauties..... US company so with the dollar being so gross right now it may not be worth the trip, but definitely worth a call.
Yep. Check out silverlake. They actually build one with an integrated roof rack, the floor if which may contain an optional fuel tank. Really nice looking stuff!

Top Bottom