flap or no flap.... that is the question!

jonniebud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your rich no prob just put anothe motor in when you cook the one rode with cause you thought the flap was not needed

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if ur worried about flying debris or roost just make sure ur lead dog or sit back,,,probably keep it if uride trails but mountain riding ditch it

my thoughts as well, i don't have a flap on my 151, had no issues last weekend in smithers. i was the last guy in the group mostly because the other guys were worried about debris, until they figured out that its much nicer to ride more than 20 feet from my bumper anyways. imo if your close enough to be hit by the roost then you are to close:eek:, back off a bit;), but heck- what do i know- :d:beer::rolleyes:

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
if your rich no prob just put anothe motor in when you cook the one rode with cause you thought the flap was not needed

Never ran a flap on my 07 rev two seasons. Never ran a flap on my turbo M8 two seasons. No over heating issues. Some of the guys I ride with don't run flaps and there is no tailgating. If your engine is over heating it is more likely due to other factors more serious than a mud flap. Just my opinion and my experience.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran without one for a few trips last season in the late spring, trails were low snow and i don't have scratchers, the warning light came on a few times and I had to stop and cool it down. I replaced the flap but used one that was too floppy and on the way into kakwa i must have overheated 10 times, and everytime it happened the flap had sucked into the track, deflecting the snow away from the tunnel. finally jammed a few sticks in between the flap and the tail light to hold it away and it was good. until the sticks would break, the flap sucked in, and overheat again.

just my experience....your opinion may vary.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how about this,,,ditch the flap, get scratchers,,,problem solved! besides the highway 5 group that thinks they can pass me on MY trail, ice ballz on ur face anyone? powderslut? jayew118? elephant rider?

Last edited:

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
how about this,,,ditch the flap, get scratchers,,,problem solved! besides the highway 5 group that thinks they can pass me on MY trail, ice ballz on ur face anyone? powderslut? jayew118? elephant rider?

And here I thought it was snowing so hard,... I was just behind you! lol Yes ice balls,.. but I wear good goggles.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yeah, ice ballz exactly.

Dude #1 I rode with got to melt his sliders because I got a fat lip from an ice ball he hucked into my helmet when I was trying to pass him and tell him his plastic was melting, it was April and the trail was brick hard.

Dude #2 got to re-ride 8 kms of bumpy azz trail (twice) to get his gas can because he didn't have a flap and I couldn't get past his stupid azz ice ball spray to tell him it fell off. I picked it up and tried to ride with it between my knees and pass him but couldn't stand through the whoops and keep it on the seat. Already had my gas can on the back or I would have just strapped it on. Dropped it off the trail and caught him in the parking lot just turning around to go back and get it.

Only disadvantage to flaps is they all get in the way once you are trenched in.

Keep your flap on as a courtesy to others on the trail, nothing sucks more than trying to pass some slow ass rider with no flap on the trail and getting pelted with spray. Some peeps think it's funny to hold others up, see how much they laugh when they're stuck and you ride past. ;)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
man i'm checking my flap to make sure it is still there.:d although i have usually been upside down a few times by then. i hear cats usually have worn there snowflaps off by at least half way up the trail, somethig about tail stands i heard.:d
ice chunks do hurt.

friggin ice chunks

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
yeah, ice ballz exactly.

Dude #1 I rode with got to melt his sliders because I got a fat lip from an ice ball he hucked into my helmet when I was trying to pass him and tell him his plastic was melting, it was April and the trail was brick hard.

Dude #2 got to re-ride 8 kms of bumpy azz trail (twice) to get his gas can because he didn't have a flap and I couldn't get past his stupid azz ice ball spray to tell him it fell off. I picked it up and tried to ride with it between my knees and pass him but couldn't stand through the whoops and keep it on the seat. Already had my gas can on the back or I would have just strapped it on. Dropped it off the trail and caught him in the parking lot just turning around to go back and get it.

Only disadvantage to flaps is they all get in the way once you are trenched in.

Keep your flap on as a courtesy to others on the trail, nothing sucks more than trying to pass some slow ass rider with no flap on the trail and getting pelted with spray. Some peeps think it's funny to hold others up, see how much they laugh when they're stuck and you ride past. ;)

Guess that would make you Dude #3. What a bad experience you've had. Did this happen "ditch banging" on Deerfoot tr. jk. Common curiosity has more to do with how you ride. I guess I just don't let it bother me if a little piece of ice hits me and I am pretty careful not to pin it when some one is to close behind, a bit of courtesy.

friggin ice chunks

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess that would make you Dude #3. What a bad experience you've had. Did this happen "ditch banging" on Deerfoot tr. jk. Common curiosity has more to do with how you ride. I guess I just don't let it bother me if a little piece of ice hits me and I am pretty careful not to pin it when some one is to close behind, a bit of courtesy.

friggin ice chunks
with no flap you don't have to "pin it" to throw chunks of ice and snow. I rode with a buddy that removed his flap....he rode a '98 T-cat with a 136" x 2" track. lemme tell ya, on the throttle or cruising that thing would throw chunks of anything it was on top of. we used to race thru the trails down in the river hills but in them days I wore a full face with a shield so it didn't hurt, but man the stuff that would smack off my shield and sled would have knocked out teeth.

the flying debris still doesn't bother me that much, it just makes me want to scare the FAWK outta the guy when I pass....:fear:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you don't run a flap and someone catches up to you on the trail it makes it very dangerous to pass you doo riders. :d

Seriously though, people need to remember there are others out there on the trails and not running a flap can be dangerous to others, even to those travelling the opposite direction. Can't say I have ever heard anyone that I ride with see a guy flying down the trail flapless and say " hey thats awesome, I'm going to remove mine too".

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

friggin ice chunks

haha, little piece of ice.......let's hook up in April on a hard spring morning and I'll unbolt my flap, you can follow my 2.5" at 50 mph. :D yeah I was dude #3....but when my pack zipper broke one day coming down the mountain, my buddy was able to pass me and tell me that all my sh!t was falling out. Thank god for ground length snow flaps. ;)

run what ya want, just answering the guys question with my experience. as stated, courtesy goes both ways and if I get the chance to pass someone with no flap while they are driving miss daisy.......hope they don't leave a big stain in their pants as I go by.

renegade144

Reaction score
i was gonna take off my snow flap and run without one, because i find the stock one super annoying... but then me and my buddy's found these at the snowmobile show, i think its sick.

Attachments

• nuts.jpg
    nuts.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was gonna take off my snow flap and run without one, because i find the stock one super annoying... but then me and my buddy's found these at the snowmobile show, i think its sick.
seriously? I realize it's supposed to look like nutz, but it looks like 2 saggy old woman boobs. to each his own I guess....lol

NotoriousNRB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm pulling mine off the new ride. havent used a snow flap in probably 4 or 5 years. i even pulled the bumpers off my wedge cuz it looks cool.

but yeah, thats just me. if you dont like getting hit by my snow roost, then back off.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to a 174"track on my Apex this year and didn't do a tunnel extension so I will be going without a flap this season.
Next season though I will have a new CR tunnel and will be addding a flap on that one.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in '05 i melted down in the aluminum bowl in Hassler and had to be pulled out of the bowl by a turbo apex. The flap didnt do a damn thing he hit boost and blew me off my sled, had to steer around a couple trees for the straight shot lol felt kinda cool. Then to get back to the truck i was pulled by a M7 with the track on backwards i tryed riding on my dead sled through the flats HOLY flying chunks of ice!!! The flap didnt do a damn thing either bent my hand gaurds into my fingers broke the bill off my helmet before i had time to bail lol good times!!
Good ole flying ice chunks!!!

Top Bottom