fixing a 97 583 summit has bogging issues

dieselboy

Reaction score
Its good on the trail no bogging and its good in the deep when you have her wound out but once you slow down in the deep snow and hit it again it bogs and bogs and once the rpms get back up again its ok,

cleaned the carbs spotless,

turned the clickers to 6 and the secondary as tight as it will go

BUT it has 100 psi compression hot on both sides, so im thinkin this is a little low (120 to 130 would be perfect guessing) dont know what this motor should be.

would this cuase the bog on the low end in the deep snow or does it sound like a fuel pump or back shifting issue?

thanks

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like a clutching or belt issue to me. what are your plugs like. mine ran like a pos this weekend wouldn't rev over 4000 like the dess cord was pooched. tested tried another off another sled same issue. changed plugs would run but no power and only rev to 7000 rpm. changed plugs again when i finally got poed enough to nearly light the pos on fire. and it ran like a top the rest off the day. original plugs of the day where new this fall and second set was brand new, and third set was new as well. major headache for such a small part. oh yeah and all plugs appeared in ok condition when pulled out and color was good.:confused:deal.

dieselboy

Reaction score
haha ya im about to the fire stage too.

ya i put new plugs in too golden brown color so never really thought to change them again, but i will try it!

thanks for the info!

100 psi on this motor correct?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds a little low but should still do ok. freshen in the summer when you cant ride.

dieselboy

Reaction score
took it for a ride and its weird hit the deep snow wide open its screamin good and all the sudden it starts boggin like 5 seconds later like its flooded

not enough compression cant burn the fuel at WOT ??? its not to rich becuase on the trail do a good pull check the plugs and they are a nice brown

packed snow is fine, heavy load flooding out?

would moving the needles help you think?

dont want to jump into the motor without knowing for sure cuase the sled isnt worth a whole lot

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha ya im about to the fire stage too.

ya i put new plugs in too golden brown color so never really thought to change them again, but i will try it!

thanks for the info!

100 psi on this motor correct?

100 psi is low. Don't need to wait til summer, top end job is only a two day affair unless you need to bore over, then its a 3 day affair. :D

Obviously over fueling, extra load on the motor is bogging it out, moving needles might hel but without being there and feeling the sled can't really tell. You could swap main jets because running at WOT is a main jet fuel circuit, you might want to look at the HAC and see if any lines have popped off or if the bellows are cracked.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your driven clutch is not back shift properly check your bushing and replace your spring replace the nylons on the helix will greatly improve your sled

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a similar issue with my brother-in-laws ZR 580. We faught with it for 2 years. It would work great on the flats but as soon as wou got in and deep stuff it would start to bog. After a few Gibbies on night we had a look under the sled and discovered the exhaust outlet had a slight forward bend to it. In the deep stuff it was actucally filling the pipe with snow! We cut the outlet a bit and build a larger snow deflector and the problem was solved. After 2 years of looking at fuel, electrical, TSS, clutching, and a lot of liquor it was a simple fix!

Top Bottom