First Top End Rebuild 08 800xp

dsenych

Reaction score
I have just over 3000km on my sled and I want to rebuild my top end since I've heard right around that 3500km mark guys start running into trouble. I have almost everything disconnected except for the yellow wires in magneto coil plug. Is there any way to get them out without cutting them? While I have my engine out does anyone have any other maintenance suggestions?

SHREK

Reaction score
i did my top end on my 2008 , and 1 ride later the crank bearing let go and and i had to put a new motor in anyway. it is cheaper to put in a new crate motor with 1 year warrenty and say yourself a world of pain

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take motor out and send it to a builder, they know what to look for and replace the right stuff the first time, i have a 800r has been sent away a few times and refreshed, and works like a charm

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The magneto wires get un plugged, the red and black wires with them, I cut and spliced. Heard somebody say that you don't have to, but I lost patience and cut 'em.

dsenych

Reaction score
I unpluged the connector (lastnight) but the red and black take off into another wiring harness while the 3 yellows go with the engine. Do you trace the red and black back and maybe disconnect them upstream?

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wires do come out of the connector you just have to really take a look at the connector to see how the blade is removed. It is a little tricky. this is the reason most guys will just cut and splice it because they don't have the patience to do it properly.
Make Dam sure you get the wire colors correct when you put it back together as one pull on the rope with the black and red reversed could cost you a reg.

Would highly recommend you do the bottom end as well. Your are correct this is about the time its going to cost you some money.
rather it cost you when its sitting on the bench than on the hill.

good luck

jackinthebox

Reaction score
really that low of mileage and these motors need rebuilt?This cant be right.There goes looking at a used sled that's sitting around the 3k mark...hmmm.

dsenych

Reaction score
I was able to remove the magneto wires without cutting. If I had not heard from so many people that it could be done I would have cut them. Here are some pics incase anyone has to do it in the future

Attachments

• DSCF0097.jpg
    DSCF0097.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 333
  • DSCF0098.jpg
    DSCF0098.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCF0099.jpg
    DSCF0099.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCF0104.jpg
    DSCF0104.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 332
  • DSCF0106.jpg
    DSCF0106.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 340

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Change out that throttle/oil pump cable. It's bound to be shredded. If not do it anyways/.

dsenych

Reaction score
You hit that one on the head. I doubt that cable would have lasted another year!

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the reeds, the etec are having some issues (mine at 2500 kms) and I don't know if the p-tek uses the same??

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they don't have the patience to do it properly.

You said that right! :beer: I dont have the patience! Doo should have made it unplug! That would have been the "proper" way. I cut mine and put a water proof connector in so its the right way now. Paid off the motors been out 3 times so far. :rant:rocks.

dsenych

Reaction score
You said that right! :beer: I dont have the patience! Doo should have made it unplug! That would have been the "proper" way. I cut mine and put a water proof connector in so its the right way now. Paid off the motors been out 3 times so far. :rant:rocks.

If you've had your motor out 3 times then maybe you can help me. Kinda screwed myself here and took poor pics of the back of the motor before i took all the hoses off. There are 2 hoses on the back that both fit just as well on either connection. One comes from the fuel pump (its attached to the frame below the carbs.. think its a fuel pump) and one comes from the RAVE solenoids. Out of those 2 hoses do you know which one connects closest to the magneto?

newfiebullet

Reaction score
Why are all u guys pulling engine to do top end??? wayyyy easier to do it still in the sled. Then u dont have to prime the oil pump and coolent and stuff....not hard to while in the sled and no fooling with hoses and wires, just my opinion

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you've had your motor out 3 times then maybe you can help me. Kinda screwed myself here and took poor pics of the back of the motor before i took all the hoses off. There are 2 hoses on the back that both fit just as well on either connection. One comes from the fuel pump (its attached to the frame below the carbs.. think its a fuel pump) and one comes from the RAVE solenoids. Out of those 2 hoses do you know which one connects closest to the magneto?

Below the carbs is the fuel pump that is the one to the carbs. But there is a pulse line that also goes to the fuel pump is this what your talking about?
Anyway you could take a pic? I keep re-reading and not sure what you saying?
I dont want to steer you wrong!

dsenych

Reaction score
I figured it out. I was looking at the hoses that go to the RAVE solenoinds. I was wondering about the fuel pump vacuum and the suction from the RAVE (so i have been told) I have it all back together now and just got back from Renshaw. It ran well with no problems

Top Bottom