first ride on a xm, with their new skid

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i was on the xm for the first time this last weekend, and comming from a 08, 880 with the bakers skid and titanium front end, it should of felt lighter, but was blown away how easy that sled handled, almost to easy... after a hr or so of being on it i still found to be darty

we took the limiter up to holes and stiffend front spring, also set rear to number 5 the stiffest, it was much better for ski lifting in the steeper and better handling, the owner at 170lbs just loves it and could not be happier.... the running boards are perfect, i had to be always cleaning mine in the deep snow and his were clean

the new track is sweet for a stock sled, and gets the sled on top very quick and engine performance is very strong, not much bad to say about the sled, other than over all weight when your stuck, and flimseey winsheild

we had a new cat and new poo with us and driving all three i had thought they were all sweet with the poo being the lightest to ride(my 14 year old daughter could drive that and sidehill)

we took the xm hood off at the truck and it took quite a while for us being first timers, i think that could of been re thought with quicker fasteners and a few less things to disconnect, see aftermarket jumping on that

for me the new xm skid felt a bit to darty, wish there was a way to reduce skid flex travel, that or replace track with non flex one...

overall good job brp

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by 'darty'.
The skis dart on the trail?, the sled doesn't hold a straight line when you want it to?, it always feels like it's about to tip over? What conditions?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It takes a few days to get used to coming off any older sled but wow once you get the feel for it there's no going back. Small inputs in the handlebars will keep you heading where you want to go rather than jumping side to side like you would on an older sled. After 2 days on it I was putting it in even stupider places than my old sled because I could do so much easier lol.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It takes a few days to get used to coming off any older sled but wow once you get the feel for it there's no going back. Small inputs in the handlebars will keep you heading where you want to go rather than jumping side to side like you would on an older sled. After 2 days on it I was putting it in even stupider places than my old sled because I could do so much easier lol.

Very true Maxwell. I have gotten this sled to place I have never been to before and it is sometimes scary when I look back and see how far up into the trees I have come!

Now to keep the purse from snagging the trees……..:rollinglaugh:
:danceMsn:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seat is too soft in my opinion, and that's comine from a 175lb rider. And I am still a fan of the pilot 6.9 skies over the ds. Other than that no complaints.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think it darts at all. It's a narrow sled and has pretty good trail handlingfor a mountain sled. I can rip the trails on it surprisingly faster than I thought I would. In the alpine there is really no learning curve. Ripping through the trees first day and I find my xm very easy and predictable to ride. I was riding with poo and cat guys and they all tried my sled and nothing bad to say. We rode 3 days hard and I can't wait to get on it again. Again I will say I have never liked doo's and wouldn't even borrow one if I had to. I guess I'm eating crow now.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put 113 k on mine this wknd. I found even coming off of my 12 it was a little tippy. Having said that I realized that I was riding it exactly like I rode the 12. Hopping back and forth. This isn't necessary like Maxwell said just a little persuasion through the bars and it'll go wherever you want, I just need a little more " seat" time on the XM and a LOT more time on the treadmill. 😁😁😁😁

Thegeneral

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put 113 k on mine this wknd. I found even coming off of my 12 it was a little tippy. Having said that I realized that I was riding it exactly like I rode the 12. Hopping back and forth. This isn't necessary like Maxwell said just a little persuasion through the bars and it'll go wherever you want, I just need a little more " seat" time on the XM and a LOT more time on the treadmill. 

Thegeneral

AMEN! that was quite the workout this weekend.

keep in mind guys you were at the top of your game when you got off your sleds last season and now your starting fresh with something totally new on your first ride. its like riding a bike but it does take some seat time to get back on your game after a long summer.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had to shovel a bin out today and thought it would never end, stiff as a horse now but kids dont see that way, and let the wrestling begin

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like these reviews ! When I hear one or two Doo riders calling it a little tippy, it means I should be able to jump off my Pro and onto an XM and be comfortable in minutes. I absolutely can't wait for a test ride.

Done fishing. Let's go sledding !!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like these reviews ! When I hear one or two Doo riders calling it a little tippy, it means I should be able to jump off my Pro and onto an XM and be comfortable in minutes. I absolutely can't wait for a test ride.

Done fishing. Let's go sledding !!

your welcome to try mine whenever you like.

im a fan of wide stances. i love being able to hit chit at mach 1 and have the wide suspension take care of the chit storm. but these narrow sleds are just so effortless and at the end of the day i will stick with the narrow sled its just so much more enjoyable and your alot less tired.

dho2010summitx

Reaction score
Rode my 163 XM this weekend for the first time in Revy. All I can say is this thing is crazy fun and awesome. Gas milege is going to be a huge savings in itself. Can't wait for the break in to be over to experience the full power of this machine. I was leary of getting the 163 but glad I did. Takes me so far up into the trees instead of having to turn out. I am very happy with my new sled :d.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very impressed with the new sled ..wouldnt call it dartey at all.I over steer it cause i use too much effort to turn it.went into trees cause i was to tired a few times!!very impressed with the power and how the track hooks up!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure you guys are around clicker 4 thats what seems to be working for us around 6000-8000

ya I needed to click up as well.....

the sled worked great overall no hick ups but I did leave the stock can on.... I also find it much easier to toss around and it will cut a hook on a dime for sure. The front end does pop up nicely when needed. Love the boards for snow clearing I just hope they dont bend over time they seem flimsy.

I also left the stabalizer bar in but I am pretty sure I will be pulling that out so less fight when its on its side.

Maxwell did you pull yours out or try it unhooked? I guess its not a bar just conections now.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that the description as "Darty" is a misnomer. With the front end of the rails being able to move independently from each other, the crutch that a lot of us used to use to correct our balance is to some degree gone. Previously with the rails bound together, if your weight was thrown forward and to one side, you could simply wait a millisecond for the available flex in the skid to be used up, and then simply pull yourself upright with a sideways tug on the bars. Not so much anymore! If you are pitched forward and to the side, when you expect that push back from the skid, it is there, but significantly reduced, so much so that when you tug on the bars to right yourself, it imparts even more flex on the weighted side of the skid, which in soft stuff is gonna make the sled carve that way. This will make the sled feel as though it is reacting in an unpredictable fashion, when just the opposite is true. The sled is more able to receive inputs from you, I believe that we are just going to need a bit of time to learn how to temper or eliminate those unwanted inputs. Gonna require us to learn how to balance a bit differently using different muscles is all. Couple of weeks and it'll be just like your first rider forward sled. Not sure at first, and then couldn't give it up for anything.

Top Bottom