Fire on the water

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting fact, they aren't actually fighting the fire per se. The water they are pumping is simply to protect themselves. They actually have unmanned submarine vehicles trying to stop the flow in order to extinguish the fire. With a class B fire like this, if you try putting it out without cutting the fuel source, it will almost certainly either reignite immediately or cause an explosion.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting fact, they aren't actually fighting the fire per se. The water they are pumping is simply to protect themselves. They actually have unmanned submarine vehicles trying to stop the flow in order to extinguish the fire. With a class B fire like this, if you try putting it out without cutting the fuel source, it will almost certainly either reignite immediately or cause an explosion.
Makes sense as they are not really near the flames. Not that I blame them.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I worked for pemex and I can say with most certainty that this takes place down there every day.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I worked for pemex and I can say with most certainty that this takes place down there every day.
Roflt aint that the truth; When we took a kick down there a mexican local would have to light a diesel soaked rag and toss it over the flare while we all watched on the side of location lol. Sometimes it wouldnt lite and he would have to run and throw it again haha.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big difference between lighting a kick and a pipeline being on fire. Land rig in 2nd and 3rd world countries is more cowboyish but offshore is very strict and hard to hide any spills.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big difference between lighting a kick and a pipeline being on fire. Land rig in 2nd and 3rd world countries is more cowboyish but offshore is very strict and hard to hide any spills.

One time rig took a kick so hard it blew pipe out of the ground; never in my life have I ever seen that happen other than youtube video.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One time rig took a kick so hard it blew pipe out of the ground; never in my life have I ever seen that happen other than youtube video.

My last rig took and kick and had to clean the derrick top to bottom (offshore derricks are big). Blew the power slips 30' in the air they said. Thankfully I was off the rig and no one was hurt, but ch!t can go sideways fast.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are saying there are gas leaks and fires everyday offshore in the Gulf?
Let's just say from what I witnessed from taking kicks and actually seeing a rig burn down there and how the Mexicans deal with situations, seeing this video doesn't surprise me. I tried to implement changes and make things better but was told to be quite and collect my cheques. The amount of oil spilled in the gulf everyday would surprise anyone

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last rig took and kick and had to clean the derrick top to bottom (offshore derricks are big). Blew the power slips 30' in the air they said. Thankfully I was off the rig and no one was hurt, but ch!t can go sideways fast.

IF only the general population knew ethical oil does not come from a 3rd world with no climate action plans :(

Top Bottom