Finally Got Out For A Nice Fall Ride!

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How you doing Scotty i see your in the hot water over the helmet issue i posted some pics of a great ride we had this summer as you have done alot of people gave me the gears about the helmets nothing was said about the great day we had they assomed we didnt wear our helmet i thought i would post the pics of the differnt area we ride maybe they would ask where it was so maybe they would want to try another area looks like every one had a great day and thanks for moving that darn rock you never know i might have been going down that trail

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey
Your out on the cricket lake pipeline and then had a fire by the pond on the north end of Long lake ?? I am correct ??? I beleive I drove by your fire pit last Saturday. We had one up on the top of the ridge on the sand . HOLLY BEAR CRAP up there

Cricket Lake Pipeline....Yes. Where the Firepit was (in the pic) was at Loon Lake (North of Long Lake). That pic was actually from last fall tho...

Will get some new pics this weekend out there, and NEXT weekend from Rocky!!

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great pictures guys. I to am a helmet fan. I agree with others that riding without a helmet is a no no, but its still the right of the person riding to do so. I now knowing what you guys were doing look past the no helmet issue hoping that the ones with out helmets will in the very near futher start to. I also see that this was about quality family time together.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start something, I just know what can happen and it's not always in our control. You can be going slow and someone comes around a corner going fast and hit's you or you can be going slow and get into a hole or a small hill and the machine comes over and you get a handle bar in the head or hit your head on a rock. I do wear my helmet everywhere, kid's are very impressionable and don't always do as their told. Kids will say to them selves, heck I don't need a helmet, I know Dad said I had to wear it, but he doesn't and he's the coolest guy in the world so when he can't see me I'm not wearing it. Not saying this is your particular situation but we need to lead our kids by example. I had a friend hurt bad. He was just going for a short, slow ride to warm up his machine so he didn't wear his helmet. Dirt riders magazine won't even post a pic of a moving machine if the rider has no helmet on. Sorry for the rant but I've been doing this for a while and seen a lot of injuries. Just a couple of weeks ago a 9 year old was killed with no helmet on. Not rying to dis you Scotty I'm just trying to make a point for the young riders coming up in our sport.

I agree with everything you said. :) Better to be safe then sorry. And yes... the little ones watch and see everything we do :eek: Thanks for your imput... good stuff.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How you doing Scotty i see your in the hot water over the helmet issue i posted some pics of a great ride we had this summer as you have done alot of people gave me the gears about the helmets nothing was said about the great day we had they assomed we didnt wear our helmet i thought i would post the pics of the differnt area we ride maybe they would ask where it was so maybe they would want to try another area looks like every one had a great day and thanks for moving that darn rock you never know i might have been going down that trail

Bigred800.... Yah, seems I have been put in my place! :) I hear yah... Just like you, my intensions were to share a good time had with family with all the S&M members! However, the helmut issue has been raised and that is a good thing. Even if it cost me a bit of humility :d

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i with you guys on this one....tell helmets are law...we are responsible for our own welfare out there...its not like i'm doing 90k with no helmet in the bush... nice easy riding on a trail at a comfortable pace

to each there own!!!!!!!

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Next time I post any shots of our my latest quading adventure I will be sure to be wearing a helmut! :d Even if it is only for the picture. :) Just kidding ofcourse. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is I carry an epi pen when quadding. I am WAY more concerned with the chance I may be stung by a wasp while riding then banging my head. If I get stung I'm in big trouble, espeacially way back in the bush :confused: Major allergies to wasps and bees :eek:. I could Die. My biggist fear is getting an angry wasp stuck inbetween my open face helmet and my face... If I get stung anywhere around my airways (swelling) I'm in big trouble. I've heard of it happening to people, getting a stinging wasp in the face due to it being trapped in the helmut. Last weekend I had a few wasps bounce off my face as we rode down the cutlines and logging rodes. They're nasty in northern AB right now.

Misfit

Reaction score
Right on Scotty, awesome pics and i totally agree with you on the helmet issue. As long as we teach the kids from day one to wear a helmet, they will understand why on rides like the one you just shared with us daddy does'nt wear one. I'm sure when the kids get a little older and your goin a little faster you will wear one. I also understand the concern people have but if every time we post a picture and not wearing a helmut we get a guilt trip, people are gonna stop posting pics. Again, great to see you guys out with the kids.

Or people might start wearing helmets more often. Just because your kids wear helmets, that has no effect of another person seeing a photo with a rider with no helmet and think that its ok to not wear one. It seemed that atv related injurys and deaths were all over the place this year and most were a result of insufficient riding gear. Every time I ride, I put the lid on. I'd rather inconvience my self then try and beat the odds. If you make sure that your kid wears a helmet but your buddy's kid doesnt then its your responsibility as his friend to inform him of what could happen.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder what would have happened if you would have hit that rock with no helmet on? Were supposed to be teaching our kids to be resposible. Sorry for the rant, I just had a friend that got hurt real bad because he wouldn't wear a helmet, I just wish everybody would wear them. I've heard of alot of injuries this year alone because of no helmet.

Well you've missed an important "responsible" lesson yourself. By removing that rock, and a few other big rocks form the trails that day and possibly saving a perfect stranger from major injury or worse, I feel pretty good :). I very rarely pass a "Trail hazard" without stopping and removing it. If it takes me and my buddies 10 minutes to yank a rock or log off the trail so the next guy coming does'nt get into a wreck then it's worth it.

My Kids got a better education by seeing us looking out for our fellow riders saftey than the helmut issue. My opinion anyways.

So to answer your question "Wonder what would have happened if you hit that rock with no helmut on?" I'd have to say "Ouch... I wish the guy with the hemut on that last passed by that dang rock would have stopped and pulled it off the fricken trail" :rolleyes:

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice pics Scotty, and thanks for making the trails safe for the rest of us. :specool:

Headin out to Calling again next weekend with about 8 guys. We'll be yankin every rock, boulder, fallen tree and log off the trails that we see, so nobody this winter hits something and might get hurt or will ruin their weekend or worse?

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My parents have a cottage on Calling Lake.It's pretty quading there just make sure you lock your quads up at night or they may not be there in the morning.I know from experience.:beer:

Top Bottom