Fifth wheel hitch... School me

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
more to the story. here's the tag from the trailer

At full load that fifth wheel will overload the truck. The L9 axle code of the truck denotes 3.55 Electric locker rear end, meaning the truck can tow up to 7500lbs. The GVWR of that trailer is 4045kg or 8900lbs. According to that trailer sticker the empty weight of it should be 3008kg or 6617lbs. To stay legal that gives less than 900lbs of water and cargo in the trailer, filling the fresh water tank and hot water heater takes up 464lbs of that, leaving 419lbs for all cargo.

All this negates what the actual pin weight of that trailer is, none of the information provided shows us that, that would need to be measured, but my guess is it would likely put the truck over the GAWR of the rear axle.

Also the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of this truck is 13,500lbs, so for the truck to tow a maximum of 7500lbs it must weigh 5000lbs or less with driver and all cargo, which it likely won't be when geared up for camping.

Moral of the story is I think the truck is too light to legally pull that trailer in camping ready form.

Last edited:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think ABMax is correct, you are going to be overloaded with a 1/2 ton. Travelaire made good trailers in their day but if I remember correctly, the pin weight on them was fairly high.

Is that a model W264? It has one slide?

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards it being a no go for her... I will keep you guys posted on the next step. Thanks for all your help!

Top Bottom