Fifth wheel hitch... School me

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My mom bought an older small fifth wheel and needs a hitch and install into her F150... I know half ton yadda yadda but its 6'6" box and 5.0. anyways

Anyone have a used hitch?

What's the advantage of tilting vs tilting sliding?

Who should I get to install it?

Thanks

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about hitches. But with the rails that you put in the bed, get the ones that run length ways down the bed not across. I have the ones that goes across and it’s impossible to wash out the inside of the box, or slide stuff in and out. I hate them

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might have to phone around to find an installer who will install product they don't sell. My hitch was also second hand, but it was clearly marked with Hitch House on it and they were more than happy to install it in my old truck, and redo the install in my new truck.
My hitch is a basic DSP 2 way tilt. Its more than enough for my 32' trailer. There are a few of them kicking around used, as DSP is closed now.
Basic 5th wheel 101:
There are 2 types of hitch heads, jaws, or bars. Mine is a bar. I prefer the bar, it's a positive and obvious close. Practically impossible to 'high hitch' with it (high hitching is when the jaws/bar close with the pin ON TOP of the jaws/bar). When you drive away, the trailer may, or may not slide off the head and cause lots of headaches. More so if it happens when you hit that first bump on the road!
Next think to look at is the heads ability to tilt, 4 ways are best, your trailer may be level, but sometimes to get there, your truck may not be. Having maximum flexibility at hook up is important.
After that, looking at a hitch that slides for easy maneuverability is the next big thing. My truck has the same size box as yours, I've never had to move my hitch. My BIL has a Kurt slider in a Dodge, again, he bought it for that purpose, but has only used it once. In a small set up you described, probably not worth the extra investment. Along those lines are all the other bells and whistles you can add, air bags on the king pin for example. IMO worth it on longer and larger trailers.
One thing to keep in mind when coupling new truck to old trailers. old trailers are usually pretty low. you will likely have to lift the trailer to get it level. That might be as simple as putting the springs on top of the axle, or actually lifting it. When hooked up, the trailer should be level, and you should have a 8" gap between the truck rails and the bottom of the trailer front section. Make sure the hitch head is adjustable, if its used, buy new bolts. That's cheap insurance.
Happy trailering!

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
They are straight forward to install. They come with a template and just grab a good bit to drill. You will need 2 people to install. My was a biotch because of the 135L tank. Sliding are good for the trailers that don’t have front corners chopped off giving you a better turning radius.

Take the hitch out in the fall to prevent rust and seizing up

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
abc muffler and hitch on 50 st sells and installs. they sell the ones with the rails length ways in box. or at least they use to. hitch house also, both places seem good to deal with

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooo... I don't know if I'm missing the capacity? What can this thing tow?

Attachments

• ford1.jpg
    ford1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 287

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is it 675kg or 1490 lbs? including passengers? that's the tongue capacity for the fifth wheel correct? I know this is getting almost as bad as the sled deck 1/2 ton thread lol

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) that would specify the max weight of the combined truck and trailer. Maybe on another nameplate or in the manual? The nameplate in the photo just tells you the total vehicle weight cannot exceed 7350lb (GVWR) and also the front axle can't exceed 3900lb and the rear axle can't exceed 3850lb.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) that would specify the max weight of the combined truck and trailer. Maybe on another nameplate or in the manual? The nameplate in the photo just tells you the total vehicle weight cannot exceed 7350lb (GVWR) and also the front axle can't exceed 3900lb and the rear axle can't exceed 3850lb.

Below in the other tag it shows 675kg or 1490 lbs as cargo and occupants weight. is that the same? I'm not near the truck...

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No the 1490 lbs cargo and occupants is kind of their best guess to provide guidance so you don't exceed the GVWR or either GAWR rating.

The bottom line is you cannot exceed GVWR total weight or GAWR on either axle as verified on a scale. With a trailer connected you're going to add considerable weight to the rear axle and likely pull some off the front. So you may not exceed the total GVWR of the truck, but the limiting factor will likely be the rear axle GAWR rating (especially with the 1/2 ton rear axle only rated for 3850 lb).

Do you have any info on the trailer make/model? If you know the trailer pin weight you can scale the truck and approximate how much spare capacity you have on the rear axle.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may want the consider going to LT rated tires also, I see yours are P rated.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a look at this, page 15, it gives the max tow ratings for that truck, a 2014 I believe by the VIN. What it shows is that truck is good for 7500lbs towing if it has the 3.55 rear end, or 9100lbs if it has the 3.73 rear end, it won't be the 9200lb ratiing as that requires the max tow package which has LT tires.

You really need to see what the fifth wheel weighs, typically pin weight is 20% of total trailer weight, so I would think much more than a 6000lb trailer and you would be overweight on the rear axle of the truck.

https://www.ford.ca/resources/ford/..._2014_rv_trailer_and_towing_guide_english.pdf

Here is the hitch that I have, nothing fancy but I believe we only paid $450 for it. I'm not a believer in the slider hitches, I think they are far to much of a pain to slide back and forth to be worth while.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5th wheel trailers can vary in tongue weight also check the specs as they are not all the same even though they might be the same size of trailer

a few years back my brother in law and I had similar 5th wheel trailers....both in that 28' range...both weighed about the same GVW.....while my brother in laws trailer had a tongue weight of nearly 1500 lbs, mine was less than 500 lbs....significant when trying to keep from overloading the rear axle of the truck.

I also had a sliding 5th wheel hitch which gave me peace of mind with my shortbox when making tight turns in the campsite or when parking....a regular hitch can sometime allow the trailer to hit the back window when making sharp turns....glass don't bend.....

Last edited:

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pullrite hitch is the only hitch to buy hands down its the Snap on of hitches when you turn more then 10 degrees it automatic starts to slide back so it wont take out your cab corners I pull my 46 foot Race Trailer with one love it wouldn't buy anything elese

Attachments

• hitch.png
    hitch.png
    575.4 KB · Views: 281

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pullrite hitch is the only hitch to buy hands down its the Snap on of hitches when you turn more then 10 degrees it automatic starts to slide back so it wont take out your cab corners I pull my 46 foot Race Trailer with one love it wouldn't buy anything elese

Seen a few of your toys on here I like your taste my friend!

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont know if you have purchased a hitch yet, but have a complete assemble, rails,mounting brackets,hitch,all in great shape, it is dsp if you are interested, removed from truck couple weeks ago after truck was written off and purchased another truck and it had a hitch in it so i dont need 2 complete units. if interested message me open to offers at this time for i havent looked at what they are worth, and snow and mud member will get discount

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
more to the story. here's the tag from the trailer

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 183
Top Bottom