Fernie Winter 2016-2017

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We also had a great time last week, tons of fresh. However the trails were never groomed and the parking lots were a s#%t show. I have been a yearly member for many years now. I pay my dues as we all should to keep these areas open. The problem I have is when we have families that have spent there tourist dollars buy a trail pass to enjoy a nice ride with the wife and kids on there school break. They are treated to poor management of the area. One poor guy was stuck in the parking lot for two hours, only to be thrashed on our trail system afterwords. Where is the money going? I can ride a bumpy trail all day if I have to get somewhere, great, but other people get choked when a family of five spends 125.00 for a day and are subjected to those conditions. Just my two cents.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We also had a great time last week, tons of fresh. However the trails were never groomed and the parking lots were a s#%t show. I have been a yearly member for many years now. I pay my dues as we all should to keep these areas open. The problem I have is when we have families that have spent there tourist dollars buy a trail pass to enjoy a nice ride with the wife and kids on there school break. They are treated to poor management of the area. One poor guy was stuck in the parking lot for two hours, only to be thrashed on our trail system afterwords. Where is the money going? I can ride a bumpy trail all day if I have to get somewhere, great, but other people get choked when a family of five spends 125.00 for a day and are subjected to those conditions. Just my two cents.
Great post and I agree. Rode 5 days the last week and not sure what's going on. Trails are the ****s and we seen the groomer out last Sunday on coalcreek going into the Doug Dean trail and it was going so fast and at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Seemed really fast and again not sure why they cannot use a drag behind that machine, go a little slower to have trail set and likely doing it in the cool evenings with no traffic would benefit the trail a lot! Met three different riding groups from Alberta and Saskatchewan and they were questioning the horrible trail and if the club had no grooming schedule this year why they were being charged! They could not believe how bad the trail was and said they likely would not come back to the area! Been buying a membership for over 10 years but not sure I will continue to next year if this does not improve.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can handle a bumpy trail and have been used to it but when they say " Oh they groomed last night all the way to the Notch " i get a little pissed . Rolling Hills cabin to Wranglers was fubbard . I agree if I would have taken the family for a afternoon outing it would not have been enjoyable for any one . They have perfect conditions right now to make a nice trail but someone is dropping the ball .

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard it's a hired contractor doing the grooming and the club is not happy. Not sure what can be done if there is a contract in place and certain verbiage is or is not in the contract (ie: use a drag instead of a rototiller style, groom at nights for proper setup, etc etc). Snow mechanics are finicky but make all the difference. It was much better when the price was $10 and grooming was done correctly by the old regime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
For a groomed trail last night, it was toast very early in the day. Like before noon!

With regards to the important aspect of riding, we had a great day. Excellent snow and an excellent area. Very possibly where no machines have ever gone. It was epic! A couple young bucks from eastern Alberta in their glory with an old adventurer with the desire to explore.

My Movie 2.jpg

My Movie 3.jpg

IMG_4675 2.jpg

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were you up 3 sisters or what ever it is called. That was a bumped out trail like I have never seen. Yes just up to turn off, lol

Doo2015

Reaction score
Was thinking of heading to fernie this weekend for the first time in a long time. One of the reasons I haven't gone is that the trails are usually horrible. Doesn't sound like that's changed, not sure what to do now.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of heading to fernie this weekend for the first time in a long time. One of the reasons I haven't gone is that the trails are usually horrible. Doesn't sound like that's changed, not sure what to do now.

Drive another hour to Cranbrook. Grooming is awesome!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow good in Cranbrook?

Yup. :)

Good idea to carry chains if you're towing a big trailer though. Lots of room to park, and the road was very good last weekend, but you never know. It's 16km's up hill from the highway.

Last edited:

Skyhigh

Reaction score

All the hotels are booked in fernie anyways. Griz days apparantly

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So proud of my wife today, she finally had her break through ride and said I see why you love this so much! She also continued to tell me how much fun she had today on the drive home. Needless to say I'm stoked :)
Oh and sc800 and lucky7 also enjoyed themselves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need your wife to talk to mine about this situation you now have on your hands boss.
Looks like she was ripping

Top Bottom