Fernie Winter 2016-2017

Reaction score
Coal Creek now OPEN for snowmobile traffic. The snowcat will be out this evening to blade the road back in as well as completing our traditional Coal Creek / Morrissey Loop. We thank everyone for their patience and co-operation this winter as we navigate around some of the unique challenges we have faced! Looking forward to a fabulous rest of the season with some exciting events ahead of us (Snow Drags this Sat Feb 18th, Avalanche Awareness Days Sun Feb 26th, March Family Ride event, Spring Island Lake Ride and more!) in addition to some more of that legendary, deep, powder snow that is sure to still fall!

See everyone at the Snow Drags this weekend. 1800 Railway Ave (Derby Grounds). Admission $10. Races start at noon.

COAL CREEK.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The snow was great today. I'm guessing the rain was patchy as we only found fresh untracked powder albeit only 6" or 15 cm and in the wind blown areas it was closer to 40 cm. The fresh started around km 49 on the Coal Creek side.

It was a day to ride with some new Cats. A dealer and some of his customers from Saskatchewan came out and asked for a tour. They had a great day and they were pleased with the improvements.

IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4652.jpg

IMG_4656.jpg

Topgun

Reaction score
Thought those were new ones... we also had a good day and didn't even run into any other riders.

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doug did u get any seat time on the new cat? Curious about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thought those were new ones... we also had a good day and didn't even run into any other riders.

Nice to meet you. It is amazing how one can get away from it all when the parking lot is full and the hills are alive with Brrraaaaaappppp.

Doug did u get any seat time on the new cat? Curious about them.

I was offered one but I was too busy cruising the trees looking for the stuck ones. Couldn't leave my clients up to their waist in snow wondering how they got into the pickle they were in and what they were going to do about it! It is nice to see them narrowed up and different clutching but in the big picture, they weren't a "game changer".

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice to meet you. It is amazing how one can get away from it all when the parking lot is full and the hills are alive with Brrraaaaaappppp.

I was offered one but I was too busy cruising the trees looking for the stuck ones. Couldn't leave my clients up to their waist in snow wondering how they got into the pickle they were in and what they were going to do about it! It is nice to see them narrowed up and different clutching but in the big picture, they weren't a "game changer".

Hmmm. I'll keep watching for what 2018 sled releases do the 2017s prices then. Maybe find a spring deal.
Great to hear the snow is still good enough to get stuck in!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Are you guiding in a tenured area?

I don't guide! I "take a friend snowmobiling.' There is a big difference. I don't charge for my services. I give people tours in the Elk Valley and introduce them to the area so they can come back on their own and enjoy the riding that is available.

As far as I know there is no tenured area in the Elk Valley. There are riding instructors, photographers that take people out, and one "official" guiding outfit that I know of.

Been doing this for years and I will continue to do it until it is time for the rocking chair.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be in touch. Heading to sicamous this week, but we usually ride fernie/CNP area.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was wodering as i use to rent out sleds and was not permitted to guide. wa wondering if rules had changed

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found some gloves and a lunch box on Coal Creek Road trail, not far from the cabin this afternoon.
I left them on the table in the Rilling Hills Cabin.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
was wodering as i use to rent out sleds and was not permitted to guide. wa wondering if rules had changed

I don't "guide" and that is different from "taking a friend snowmobiling". The big difference is that I don't charge for my services. "Official" guides can and do charge and are registered with the government.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The snow was great again today. I'm amazed at how much untracked is out there. The sun shone, it snowed, the wind blew, and there was frozen rain. The day was mostly flat light and difficult riding out in the open. The trees were awesome. This is a "did not see creek"........and it was deep!

View attachment 202928
Haha that's a good one. That usually only happens at the end of the day too, when buddy says, "let's start heading back". And buddy ends up being the lawn dart.

Good times!

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I HATE riding the trail!
That's a great loop. Needs a few more exploration trips still.

Top Bottom