Fernie Winter 2016-2017

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, highway is a sh!tshow and wouldnt recommend travel at the moment. Buddies riding the east side since they couldnt get through this morning, lots of others heading home. Not worth hitting the ditch or worse, make it home safe to those families, think about what you are gambling. Avy conditions still very high and high confidence in the avy forecast. pits showing that new snow is not bonding well to the stuff below, but very likely we will hear of the standard goons pounding the hills near the notch etc.

Wouldnt surprise me if we hear the worst by the time the weekends over. Hope it doesnt happen but just know that the SAR crew won't put themselves at risk for you, so think twice before you poke the white dragon. If that stuff cuts loose, it wont take much of a hill to be a big pile at the bottom, there is a lot of storm snow hiding out there. Don't think just because you are in the trees that you are safe. Cant access my pics right now but have a couple pics of avys from over the years, just behind Leech Ridge and just above the cabin, in the trees, on moderate slopes. Avys can and do happen in the trees, make no mistake.

Seeing size 1-2 avys, some stuff creeping to size 3, pretty big stuff. Will see what the rain does to the snowpack now, but all that extra moisture and weight won't help it in the short term. Sitting here typing and not riding at 1130 for a reason. Use your heads and Ride safe folks.

Reaction score
Special Avalanche Warning in effect for all Elk Valley riding areas (South Rockies, Flathead, Lizard Range). More info here: Avalanche Canada

Just a reminder that the FSA is always happy to discuss any concerns or feedback you may have. You can reach us at your convenience at info@ferniesnowmobile.com. We would also like to remind all members they are encouraged to attend our monthly meetings (third thursday of each month). We are a member/volunteer driven association and rely on YOUR participation and feedback to keep the wheels spinning. If you are unable to attend the meeting but would like to contribute or participate in committees (events, cabin, grooming, work parties...) or other association operations please let us know and we can find a way to get you involved. The next meeting is Thursday February 17th at the Park Place Lodge 7:15pm. See you there!

Feb 11th: Moonlight Ride, departing Morrissey Staging area at 6pm. BBQ and Bonfire at the Rolling Hills Cabin
Feb 18: Snow Drags, 1800 Railway Ave (Derby Grounds). Races start at noon. Admission $10
Feb 26: Avalanche Awareness Days, Rolling Hills cabin 11-2pm. FREE. Over $2000 in prizing from our sponsors.

Last edited:

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any updates on road/snow conditions?
Worth a day trip tomorrow?

We were supposed to come today but highway 3 was closed and I heard the snow wasn't the greatest with the rain and whatnot.

Cheers

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rained at ski hill last night to 7000ft- all that sweet pow is toast. Recommend going someplace north of Fernie for the time being

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any updates on road/snow conditions?
Worth a day trip tomorrow?

We were supposed to come today but highway 3 was closed and I heard the snow wasn't the greatest with the rain and whatnot.

Cheers

Keep watching Alberta 511 and DriveBC for road reports. They are open now but blowing like a bastard here in the Pass...could close anytime. The powder is pretty much gone with the warm temps and rain yesterday and last night, at least on this side of the border.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep watching Alberta 511 and DriveBC for road reports. They are open now but blowing like a bastard here in the Pass...could close anytime. The powder is pretty much gone with the warm temps and rain yesterday and last night, at least on this side of the border.
Just got home from Fernie and the roads are good just a bit wet. Not sure what up top will be like though. We decided not to ride anymore.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Doom and gloom..................give me a break!

Yes the highway was closed for small periods of time. A MVI south of Fernie before the ski hill that closed that portion until 9:30 am. The salt brine worked like a charm and the roads were good. The road was closed at Sparwood (for east bound traffic) tonight for a downed power line. My wife drove to the Pass today for work and her words, "the roads were good."

The snow was better than yesterday afternoon as the cold night time temps dried it out a bit. We had a great ride today and runs and runs of untracked. The trees were awesome and the open areas above 6000' were a lot of fun. There were slab releases on the west side of the power line on the steeper, treeless slopes. So definitely a time to be aware of the consequences. Another track inspection today and all is well.

BTW, 6 G4's with 3 days of that glorious powder and some of the sticky snow with lots of climbs and a tremendous amount of WOT. Not a belt issue on any of the sleds. One of the sleds burned 35 liters on the second day. It was a great test and the results were awesome.

IMG_1351.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well thanks for the memories. Yes, baby

Doug, we've been using the tiller on Boulder in Revy and it works awesome. I can give Nathan's number for more info if you want

What do you mean works awesome? Sure it lays a smooth ribbon but what I am seeing is that the ribbon doesn't hold up to as many sleds as a heavy drag. In other words, the trail is whopped faster with fewer sleds.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A couple of freeze frames from today. Even with the settled snow, it is finally pretty much game on. Still some stumps in the burnt and in the wind scoured areas. It has gotten to the stage where the long tracks are shining. Got bucked off in the first one!

cool pic.jpg

cool pic 2.jpg

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
Highways is fine if you can drive and have proper winter tires. Way over exagerated on how bad the roads where at least when we came through a few hours ago they where fine.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Highways is fine if you can drive and have proper winter tires. Way over exagerated on how bad the roads where at least when we came through a few hours ago they where fine.
Yes it was last night and early this morning that was bad. We can through at noon and they were good.

This was Fernie last night.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Anyone know if they groomed last night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would surely hope so. The Moon Light ride is scheduled for tonight. But the way things have been going don't count on it.

It is a sad state of affairs with grooming this year. I haven't seen the trails this rough since before the club bought it's own groomer. It is a friggin' joke to say there is a "grooming program"!

Thank heaven for the SnowCats at Fernie Wilderness Adventures and the partial grooming that gets done by them.

Feeze

Reaction score
Trail to both cabins are brutal. Good if you need to work on push ups and squats! Snow is deep. Looking forward to today less the push ups and squats!

Heavybrewster

Reaction score
If the club bought it's own groomer than why isn't the grooming happening per club policy? I understand they are a very expensive item and to fuel them per groom must be $1000+ for each trip, but when you collect $20 x 100 sleds that is $2000 a day in collected fees.

In lieu of the lack of grooming, is Fernie offering cheaper day trail fees like other areas offer?

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the subject of grooming, how about a weekday groom?
Some of us ride during the week you know.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any update on the "gun range" area on the north side of the #3?

Opposite side from Corbin Rd.

Wondering if we should drive all the way to Morrissey or try another area.

Thanks

Top Bottom