Fernie Winter 2016-2017

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Untracked is a tough one! It was -27 in Corbin this morning and the same at the Wrangler's. Too damn cold.....................................

The sun was out and it did warm up later in the afternoon. The blue bird was singing and the sun was glorious. These flatlanders were tough and the cold wasn't an issue with them as it was with me.

IMG_4627.jpg

IMG_4629.jpg

Reaction score
Lots of great Fernie Snowmobile Events coming up in February (and big snow on the way for the weekend. WoopWoop!). More information available at Fernie Snowmobile Association on the events calendar.

Feb 11: Moonlight Family Ride (Lunar Eclipse). Departing staging area at 6pm and headed up to the Rolling Hills cabin for a little BBQ and a big bonfire.

Feb 18: Snow Drags at the Derby Grounds.

Feb 26: FSA Avalanche Awareness Days at the Rolling Hills cabin from 11-2pm. More information to come but...
-Elk Valley Snow Shepherds will bringing up a portable transceiver basin and will be doing fun companion rescue scenarios with prizing
-Fernie Search and Rescue will be onsite with lots of fun rescue toys and presentations on emergency communications devices
-Avalanche Canada South Rockies Field Team will be doing snowpit demonstrations and more
-Canadian Avalanche Rescue Dog Teams on site demonstrations and meet & greet
-Ascent Helicopters will be bringing up the helicopter to demonstrate sled slinging/evacuation and how to safely move around helicopters
-Ghostrider Motorsports on site with a snowbike and the new 2018 Arctic Cat demos, fastest belt changing competition
-FSA snowcat on site and fundraiser BBQ at cabin
-Lots of other participants and great prizing including outerwear from FXR, inReach, Avalanche Canada and more.

See everyone out there!

IMG_7357.JPG MoonlightRideFeb11.jpg

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In town tonight. What is recommended for staging , head to Morrisey or can we stage at the dump? Have a 22' enclosed trailer

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snowing like crazy now and there is a weather warning for the elk valley

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
snowing like crazy now and there is a weather warning for the elk valley

One weather channel has a "winter storm watch" and another weather channel has nothing...................go figure????

There was 30 cm today at elevation in the Rolling Hills. The heavy snowfall seems to have tapered off, but they are forecasting for more on Sunday night. FAR has had 14 cm in the last 24 hours.

It was a nice freshen up.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was in the rolling hills yesterday. About a foot of nice and fluffy, but pretty hard underneath that. Still enough to have a blast, but caught a few edges here and there.

Just trying to turn around and hit a hard pack bump. Slowest...Tip over...ever Lol. Timbits.

Would also like to give a big shout out to the big black dodge that parked right behind our trailer loading ramp at the lower Morrissey lot.

Thanks bud. Appreciate it.

Last edited:

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Made the journey this am to ride fernie only to get to Coleman and find the road closed. I checked AMA all night and up until the minute we left at 430. The update came at 500am! while we were plowing through ridiculous roads. Was so looking forward to an awesome day but ended So frustrating. Waited until 6 pm and finally had to head home as there was no hotels!
Made the best of a bad day and Road the trails at mcgillivray and it was deep.
Hopefully next time the road is open!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Made the journey this am to ride fernie only to get to Coleman and find the road closed. I checked AMA all night and up until the minute we left at 430. The update came at 500am! while we were plowing through ridiculous roads. Was so looking forward to an awesome day but ended So frustrating. Waited until 6 pm and finally had to head home as there was no hotels!
Made the best of a bad day and Road the trails at mcgillivray and it was deep.
Hopefully next time the road is open!

I'm hanging out in the tims parking lot in blairmore. Doing another report at 7am the guy told me.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it has snowed a foot since last night and no end in sight. BE CAREFULL out there

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Doug was this in Fernie or Elkford?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

This was in Fernie. Can't even get to Morrissey this morning as the highway is closed south of the ski hill (both directions) for avi control. i'll ride the main Elk for a little fun today!

With avi danger Extreme/Extreme/High and the slabs we noticed yesterday, it will be mellow riding for sure.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was in Fernie. Can't even get to Morrissey this morning as the highway is closed south of the ski hill (both directions) for avi control. i'll ride the main Elk for a little fun today!

With avi danger Extreme/Extreme/High and the slabs we noticed yesterday, it will be mellow riding for sure.
Yes, we have been waiting for the road to open. Grrrrr

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom