Fernie Winter 2016-2017

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi there not sure what one to get in search or spot, both are different but aguess depends what you want. One is more money then the other, but sounds like you can get an app to go with I search or something. I will research more into them. I defferently don't want Peale to be texting back and fourth as I'm riding there is enough of that already, lol

Garmin bought InReach last year. I had been waiting to see what they did and they have now combined one of their top end outdoor GPS units with the InReach. So if you don't already have a quality GPS it's an option.

For me InReach was preferred as it has two way communication. Apparently spot has one that does it now as well? I don't know. I would say I see more InReach users than Spot as well.

As far as phones interfering with a beacon, wasn't it Randy who was highlighting the concern a few winters back? Think he did a video. I don't wear my phone on me. The only electronic device I wear aside from my beacon is my BCA radio in my pack. Phone, camera, Rino whatever else is in my riser or dash bag. To go through all the effort of having all the proper safety gear and have there be a possibility a phone could interfere with the proper function of a transceiver just isn't worth it for me.

Next storm system is building. Won't be long to get some more fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Different beacons respond worse to interference. The peips and ortovox that flip open are hopeless when and phones or other devices. It had been well researched. Do you want to take the chance of flux lines aligning the right way when buried under snow and not being able to be found quickly?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You are absolutely correct. I also am one who has the other electronic gear in a bar bag but I'm guessing if one is upside down and the sled is on top of you with a Rino, an inReach or SPOT, and a phone turned on, it might be quite a stretch for a beacon to get through that mess under the snow.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an update on snow conditions?
It has not snowed in 7 days and cold as fawk! Have not been out since last Friday but it was deep and a lot of traffic. Hopefully another system coming next week for a reload.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Jemi Fibre has asked the FSA to let public know they will be conducting road building and logging activities in the Morrissey area effective immediately. Specifically, these activities will be located between the train tracks and the slide area (after you turn off highway 3 and cross the bridge over the Elk River enroute to the staging area). They request vehicles travelling in this area slow down and obey posted signage. In addition, Jemi Fibre has begun harvesting and hauling in the McClatchie area and would like us to forward a request for backcountry users to avoid that area. The Golden Snowmobile Club has released an excellent video about Safety/Communications while travelling on Forest Service Roads which can be viewed here: https://www.facebook.com/GoldenSnowmobileClub/videos/1203166643093067/

in addition, we would also like to take this opportunity to remind all sledders they are required to adhere to the BC Off-Road Vehicle Act while snowmobiling on crown land. As part of these regulations, sledders should understand they are required to have an ICBC plate or decal visible on your machine, posses a current copy of vehicle registration, liability insurance, and photo ID. Sledders should expect to encounter enforcement personnel (RCMP and Conservation Officers) on trails or at staging areas and be able to present the required documentation. More information can be found here:

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We left a day early this past weekend on account of the cold and snow getting so set up. We found good snow the two days we rode but didn't think we would find enough to make it worth facing the cold another day.

Let it snow!

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jemi Fibre has asked the FSA to let public know they will be conducting road building and logging activities in the Morrissey area effective immediately. Specifically, these activities will be located between the train tracks and the slide area (after you turn off highway 3 and cross the bridge over the Elk River enroute to the staging area). They request vehicles travelling in this area slow down and obey posted signage. In addition, Jemi Fibre has begun harvesting and hauling in the McClatchie area and would like us to forward a request for backcountry users to avoid that area. The Golden Snowmobile Club has released an excellent video about Safety/Communications while travelling on Forest Service Roads which can be viewed here: https://www.facebook.com/GoldenSnowmobileClub/videos/1203166643093067/

in addition, we would also like to take this opportunity to remind all sledders they are required to adhere to the BC Off-Road Vehicle Act while snowmobiling on crown land. As part of these regulations, sledders should understand they are required to have an ICBC plate or decal visible on your machine, posses a current copy of vehicle registration, liability insurance, and photo ID. Sledders should expect to encounter enforcement personnel (RCMP and Conservation Officers) on trails or at staging areas and be able to present the required documentation. More information can be found here:
Thanks for the info! Are there any close future plans on having a groom done on a Sunday night or Monday as a lot of times we do not ride weekends and instead ride Monday-Thursday and I believe grooming is Thursday and Saturday. Be nice to have smooth trials for the week riders also. Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So the lodgepole is plowed to the McLatchie turnoff? How far in is the McLatchie plowed? To the Flathead?

Is wigwam plowed?

Appreciate any info...trying to stay of the plowed roads as i don't have a vhf/uhf radio...might be time to get one.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the lodgepole is plowed to the McLatchie turnoff? How far in is the McLatchie plowed? To the Flathead?

Is wigwam plowed?

Appreciate any info...trying to stay of the plowed roads as i don't have a vhf/uhf radio...might be time to get one.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Yea if it's plowed that means trucks! Very big and heavy trucks flying at you... please buy a radio and be safe out there!

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If too many sledders are on these roads without radio's and if there are issues I feel that they could shut us down and not allow us out there. Maybe go rent on? Also make sure if you have radio that it has the RR channels on it.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going that way tomorrow, what has good snow left, and proper access.. ?

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for folks to ride with this week.
Anybody have room for one?
I could show you where this is....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still lots of spots that haven't seen a track right off Morrisey before you even get to Wranglers.

Lots of hazards too. Trail is in great shape considering the low snow. If I thought I was going to ride Fernie more than 4 days this winter I would get a season pass but the snow falls just haven't been there the last few winters.

2-3 feet would make it a little better. 4-5 is what is really needed. When you are standing beside topped trees from winters past and they are six feet tall it's an obvious sign.

Top Bottom