Fernie Winter 2016-2017

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I try to explain where, at the very bottom of hill just before you go up to the nutch there are markers showing a creek, so coming half way down before that creek you go left and it goes up to an area with sweet opening with tree riding on a slope, so at bottom of that area we ended up going down in the trees thinking when we get to bottom we can turn around. But buddy ended up in that creek and place to turn around, so now it is trenches dug out and just a mess of us trying to get out for ten hrs, we are prepared to spend the night out if we had to, and at one point started a fire to warm up our hands. If we had leave machines there and walk out to main trail and start fire untill someone came out next day, but we also didn't want search and rescue to come out. So my questions to anyone is, 1- is there a channel or frequency that you are able to contact anyone, and
2- what are procedure for search and rescue to get started, if our trucks were found in am not moved, I think this can be informative for others if ever in this position, we also started to rashin our snacks and drinks the minute we knew we were in trouble....thx

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I try to explain where, at the very bottom of hill just before you go up to the nutch there are markers showing a creek, so coming half way down before that creek you go left and it goes up to an area with sweet opening with tree riding on a slope, so at bottom of that area we ended up going down in the trees thinking when we get to bottom we can turn around. But buddy ended up in that creek and place to turn around, so now it is trenches dug out and just a mess of us trying to get out for ten hrs, we are prepared to spend the night out if we had to, and at one point started a fire to warm up our hands. If we had leave machines there and walk out to main trail and start fire untill someone came out next day, but we also didn't want search and rescue to come out. So my questions to anyone is, 1- is there a channel or frequency that you are able to contact anyone, and
2- what are procedure for search and rescue to get started, if our trucks were found in am not moved, I think this can be informative for others if ever in this position, we also started to rashin our snacks and drinks the minute we knew we were in trouble....thx

With a good enough radio, you may have been able to hale someone on the local RR channel.
I'm not sure if the local club would initiate a search based solely on finding some trucks in the staging area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok good and what is local rr radio channel, I seen at cabin a few phone numbers but no radio channel. Thx

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok good and what is local rr radio channel, I seen at cabin a few phone numbers but no radio channel. Thx

Local to that area would be RR2.
Someone on Lodgepole might have been about to receive you.
Inreach or Spot would be your best bet.
Glad you made it out ok.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your location I could have wrong, but think I might know it.. did you mark the location On Gps?? Sleds you run

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More clubs or area SAR would benefit from having standard GMRS/FRS SAR response frequencies like Revy 4-0 and such.

Knowing that channels 1-7 are capable of transmitting higher power than 8-14 is also valuable.

Mach- below the trees you were in was there a sweet open side hill on the right hand side of that first creek drop you went into then a little drop to the drainage before it disappears into never never land?

Sounds like you could make good use of a InReach. Two way capable texting so you can let people know you are alright just going to have a long trip out.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
IMHO, the only radio that would work from that location would be a SAT phone. Other hand helds (the SMRS./FRS) may have altered other riders during the early afternoon but after everyone leaves you are in for a long haul.

I use the inReach ( https://explore.delorme.com ) for my safety net and it uses satellite communication (this is not a phone but rather a texting device that sends a message and a geographical location which shows up on a computer or phone depending on how it is programmed). Used to use a SPOT but the two-way communication of the inReach is a much better way to go. I have contacts programmed into the unit and everyday I use the 3 pre-set messages to let my contacts know when I am starting my trip, when, I am back at my truck, and the 3rd message is an informational message that I am delayed (ran out of gas, pulling out a sled, etc..) but we are okay.

The neat concept with the inReach is that you can pair it with your phone and communicate back and forth with individual contacts. So with that feature, you can get a buddy(s) to come help. They get a map on their screen (computer or phone) showing the location of the sending unit. I had a buddy who got turned around out there last week in the high winds and he had to call S&R (only the RCMP can initiate a search with S&R so they have to be contacted to get things moving). He was surprised to find he was in a location with cell service. That is rare out in the back country.

On the SPOT or inReach, there is an SOS button that alerts a call centre in Texas which in turn alerts the local RCMP that you are in need of help.

As for your last question, it someone saw your trucks in the parking lot late at night, it would depend on their thinking process. Some people actually ride at night (not many but some do), so if they thought you were in trouble they may call the RCMP. If the truck was still there in the morning covered in frost/snow someone riding would probably start to inquire. The only hope would be the groomer operator if he were grooming. A trip plan letting someone know where you are going and an approximate time of getting back is always a good idea.

There are a lot of trouble spots out there and a lot of time has been spent getting sleds out of creeks and drops. It is a long pull coming back in the cold and dark and sometimes a person has to reach down real deep to get back to a cabin.

I hope this helps and if you have further questions, you can send a PM.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More clubs or area SAR would benefit from having standard GMRS/FRS SAR response frequencies like Revy 4-0 and such.

Knowing that channels 1-7 are capable of transmitting higher power than 8-14 is also valuable.

Mach- below the trees you were in was there a sweet open side hill on the right hand side of that first creek drop you went into then a little drop to the drainage before it disappears into never never land?

Sounds like you could make good use of a InReach. Two way capable texting so you can let people know you are alright just going to have a long trip out.

yes it sounds about right, I did let wife know an area we were going and knows we are always at our truck by time it gets dark. I text her say we are leaving truck then back in truck, I did find a spot on top of hill that night with cell service so I text our wives a asap as I know they would be worried by then.
Thx Doug as I will be looking into those things, as I said it definitely made us think and also thought we were prepared. Now more to carry, lol
what a way to start 2017 and hope others read this and think about what others are saying, thanks for all info.

Reaction score
I use to support the club, i have also helped with the new cabin, allways bought yearly passes but really dont like the way the new group has went about things. Now i love riding fernie and have made good friendships there and ride there lots i just go to other places where you dont need to pay fees with no groomed trails.

We are always interested in member (or non-member) feedback tstams. Please feel free to contact us with you concerns or ideas at info@ferniesnowmobile.com. We would also like to remind everyone that the association is member supported and directed...everyone is welcome to attend general member meetings (the third thursday of each month at the park place lodge in fernie 7:15pm). Anyone is welcome to voice their ideas, opinions, run or nominate others for elected positions, volunteer for committees etc. Come on out and help shape your riding community. Hope to see everyone there.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
I appreciate the response FSA, I am unavailable to attend meetings but from what I have seen and heard you guys are doing a good job. Im not out to complain about the club or cause any problems. As I said before the way individuals where treated and the way certain members went about things I disagree with that s not to say that you guys are not doing a good job with the grooming and rides now. My opinion $25 is steep for Fernie but that's is my opinion. Everyone has there own opinion. I was a member before the Elkvalley club merged with FSA since then I have not supported the new club and probably will not.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever gone over the top....intentionally and lived to tell about it? Lol.

over-the-top-52a66effa7b9a.png

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might have just been a fluke the last few rides, but cell service seems to be improving out there.

Some of the more epic riders might get to do live feed shredding, tell everyone in real time just how awesome they are :)

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember that cell phones may disrupt your beacons. I always turn mine back off after taking photos.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would assume putting it in airplane mode would suffice?

Mines in my heated dash bag so I'm not too worried about it anyways.

Yup. Buddy just kissed it with his right ski haha.

Other buddy found a previous hole. Haha

Last edited:
Top Bottom