Fernie Winter 2016-2017

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great conditions today. Where it was deep it was DEEP. But lots of wind scour too. Hit a bunch of secret staches with SC800 and another buddy. Burnt a tank of fuel and going home happy... well almost happy. I'm happy to note cat A arms are bendy, and you can ride them bent all day.

But on a more serious note, what is going on with the grooming and parking lots? As someone who had contacted the club about corporate sponsorship, this is not what I expect to to see. The doug Dean trail has not been put in, the parking lots have not been plowed and the trail is rough! As a paying member of the club I would like to know whats up this year ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great conditions today. Where it was deep it was DEEP. But lots of wind scour too. Hit a bunch of secret staches with SC800 and another buddy. Burnt a tank of fuel and going home happy... well almost happy. I'm happy to note cat A arms are bendy, and you can ride them bent all day.

But on a more serious note, what is going on with the grooming and parking lots? As someone who had contacted the club about corporate sponsorship, this is not what I expect to to see. The doug Dean trail has not been put in, the parking lots have not been plowed and the trail is rough! As a paying member of the club I would like to know whats up this year ??

Wondering the same thing it seems it's impossible to get consistent grooming in fernie likely need more volunteers if they collect daily fees they can groom more there likely doing the best they can with the resources they have I'm gonna try and get involved this summer and donate some time and $ if evry other town can do it fernie can too just need people and funds

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it was a great day with crazy deep snow, I had to put the clickers on 4 to pull rpm! Some spots were a little wind blown but majority was just deep where we rode! Tomorrow should be good. And yes the trail? Not sure what's going on? Hope they are out tonight to get things set up for the busy Christmas season.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I asked the same questions when I got down today.
Please see below for FSA's answer.

Thanks for getting in touch with us. After finally receiving enough snow at valley bottom, and after the private land owners granted access following completion of logging activites up Morrissey, our first groom of the season was last Sunday. We will continue our regular grooming schedule but concentrated around the Morrissey area until Coal Creek reopens for snowmobile traffic (approx feb). Regular schedule is Thurs + Sat PM with special grooms added over holidays etc. We only collect funds when we groom. We do monitor the staging areas...most of those out of town plates you are seeing are, in fact, annual membership holders. The plan tomorrow evening is to groom from the staging area up to the Wranglers cabin and then do our best to push into the Rolling Hills cabin. Next goal after that is to groom up to the Notch. We are also expecting to do quite a bit of work on the connector trail between the new lower and upper staging areas so that the snowcat can groom there as well to improve the parking situation/access challenges this season.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, but you may have to leave the trail to find it!

Reaction score
Website
www.elkvalleysnowshepherds.com
Natural (?) Sz 2 back of the Burn this AM. Thick wind skin everywhere ontop of sugary facets. Can view our MIN post here: https://www.avalanche.ca/map?panel=...missions/d7dd9c14-96a3-4296-97ef-a69354c4b1b5

thumbnail_FullSizeRender (1).jpg thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second groom of the season in today. Morrissey Staging to Wranglers. Wranglers to Rolling Hills Cabin. Tried to get to the Notch...
If you have any questions or concerns about grooming or similar please feel free to contact info@ferniesnowmobile.com. Next General Members meeting is January 19th, 2017: open invitation to all members to attend and help shape your riding community.

IMG_0176.JPG IMG_0190.JPG

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The snow is just about rock and roll time. Still hazards out there; tops of rocks, stumps, and the shorter broken trees left behind with epic stories no doubt.

Lots of untracked fresh in the trees and the grooming was sweet. I have to learn to ride all over again. That G4 is amazing at how manoeuvrable it is; darn right scary at times as it almost seems that if you move your head sideways the sled wants to go with it!

IMG_4518.jpg IMG_4520.jpg

Just snuggled up to some trees..................to make the day interesting!

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5 of us had a great day with lots of stucks in the trees and found lots of fresh and some spots sure settled from Wednesday. Didn't make it anywhere near the notch so cannot comment on the pipeline, but the groomed trail was awesome and greatly appreciated.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great conditions yesterday. Had my cat working a little to hard and blew the chain. Going back in this morning to tow it out. Its 200' from the trail in some real tight trees. Anybody sees us in there we wouod sure appreciate some extra help!

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode the trees on the way to the notch yesterday. Snow a little crusty....Skis stayed on top and the track dug to china!

Lots of fun and lots of snow to find. Hope to find more today!

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AWESOME day riding with you. Sure felt great to be back in the high country!
The snow is just about rock and roll time. Still hazards out there; tops of rocks, stumps, and the shorter broken trees left behind with epic stories no doubt.

Lots of untracked fresh in the trees and the grooming was sweet. I have to learn to ride all over again. That G4 is amazing at how manoeuvrable it is; darn right scary at times as it almost seems that if you move your head sideways the sled wants to go with it!

View attachment 201279 View attachment 201280

Just snuggled up to some trees..................to make the day interesting!

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hats off to the Fernie snowmobile association for doing a awesome job keeping the trails groomed. With amount of sledders enjoying the deep powder its great that the club is on the grooming. Thanks so much!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Great conditions yesterday. Had my cat working a little to hard and blew the chain. Going back in this morning to tow it out. Its 200' from the trail in some real tight trees. Anybody sees us in there we wouod sure appreciate some extra help!

Phoned you. Will be out there this morning. Can lend a hand if we can connect.

Top Bottom