Fernie conditions

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was a concrete Day in the
Rolling hills Today. Need snow. Found a little soft stuff but not enough.

daves

Reaction score
Put your scratcher's on, as the trail is a skating rink for the first 5or 6 k

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going on days off soon and might not even go out sledding due to lack of snow. Get the honey to do list down abit so when the big storms to come then its time to play

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We found some pretty good snow today. I managed to find a creek or two. fernie-jan18-1.jpg There is a crust just under the new snow. 3 or more times when I was making a slow hard carve, my ski would break through the crust and stop me dead. One ski vertically up against the crust and the other sitting nice on top.

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you get a complimentary burger later today at the cabin?
Didn't get to the cabin yesterday. That would have been icing on the cake of a great day. Clear, sunny, untracked snow and no wind. Amazing.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a club Moon light ride last night. Burger cooking started about 4:00 in the afternoon. A good turn out there was!

i was heading home (Okotoks area) on Saturday morning after a couple days sledding and saw a TON of trucks with sleds heading towards Fernie. Must have been a lot of guys out. Also saw quite a few guys with dirt bikes in their trucks heading for Dorr Road area as there is no snow there at all.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
i was heading home (Okotoks area) on Saturday morning after a couple days sledding and saw a TON of trucks with sleds heading towards Fernie. Must have been a lot of guys out. Also saw quite a few guys with dirt bikes in their trucks heading for Dorr Road area as there is no snow there at all.

The parking lot was full and on the road nearly into town Sat. I sure wished the City would get on board and help us with the ridiculous parking.

SKDeuce

Reaction score
We were out there from Friday to Monday, parking lot and road were full on the weekend but still found lots of untracked snow and didn't see any other sleds once we left the trail. Could definitely have used some fresh stuff though, it was pretty hard on top. Hopefully be a bunch more before we come back in March!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must have been a lot of guys out. Also saw quite a few guys with dirt bikes in their trucks heading for Dorr Road area as there is no snow there at all.

Guess they don't know (or don't care!) that area is closed in the winter to motorized traffic to protect ungulate winter range. Sure wish BC had some enforcement capability to start fining these guys! They're gonna ruin it for everybody! :crapfan:

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess they don't know (or don't care!) that area is closed in the winter to motorized traffic to protect ungulate winter range. Sure wish BC had some enforcement capability to start fining these guys! They're gonna ruin it for everybody! :crapfan:

I have a place on the north side of where the Elk River meets the Kootenay River (Koocanusa in the summer) and my view to the south is of the Dorr Road area. We ride dirt bikes all around our place for 3 seasons of the year but I never knew the Dorr Road area was closed in the winter. Is there signage?

Edit: I saw the guys with dirt bikes in the trucks and assumed that's where they were headed. There are other places to go like the MX track at Elko.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a place on the north side of where the Elk River meets the Kootenay River (Koocanusa in the summer) and my view to the south is of the Dorr Road area. We ride dirt bikes all around our place for 3 seasons of the year but I never knew the Dorr Road area was closed in the winter. Is there signage?

Edit: I saw the guys with dirt bikes in the trucks and assumed that's where they were headed. There are other places to go like the MX track at Elko.

The signs last about a day when they put them up. I have no idea if there are any up right now. Haven't been there since summer.

chris_paquin

Reaction score
Hey guys I need a bit of help. My girlfriend and I ride a lot in Saskatchewan and I ride in the mountains a lot. So I want to bring her out for a weekend of riding in the mountains to see if she likes it. I have rode fernie a few times but mostly head to golden or revy. Can someone let me know if the snow is good enough to bring a newbie out and were would you recommend I take her. Thanks in advance for any good info

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need a bit of help. My girlfriend and I ride a lot in Saskatchewan and I ride in the mountains a lot. So I want to bring her out for a weekend of riding in the mountains to see if she likes it. I have rode fernie a few times but mostly head to golden or revy. Can someone let me know if the snow is good enough to bring a newbie out and were would you recommend I take her. Thanks in advance for any good info
im in the same boat. looking to take a couple newbies out to fernie. was talking to people on the forum and have been told not to expect epic but good enough for newbies to see the area. when are you heading out that way?

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Snow is good for not getting stuck a lot. Kinda of like 'hero' snow for the most part last weekend. I wouldn't expect to find deep powder unless you really look for it.
Coal Creek is the best place to stage for new riders as both cabins can be accessed from there. Good conditions for her to try some hill climbs. Check Avy bulletins before you go though.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The signs last about a day when they put them up. I have no idea if there are any up right now. Haven't been there since summer.

My backroads map books don't show the area as being closed in winter or any wildlife management info. My maps are a few years old though...

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fernie is great for newbie as well as pro's. The conditions are hard packed. no new snow to speak of for weeks and nothing in the fourcast.

Top Bottom