Fernie conditions

chris_paquin

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info and for anyone heading to Fernie this weekend you better get on booking rooms as they are filling up fast from a hockey tournament.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just finished grooming Coal Creek. There is 2" of fresh and I am surprised how much untracked tree riding one sees from the groomer. Enough said.....:d

Just keep the highway to the notch free and clear Doug, don't worry about the rest.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My backroads map books don't show the area as being closed in winter or any wildlife management info. My maps are a few years old though...

All kinds of closures are missing from Backroads Mapbook....even if you got the new one. This one is part of the general rules for ungulate winter range for the trench in the Cranbrook West Recreation Management Strategy, and to be quite honest...I'm not sure if it ever got legislated, or if their just trying to sign it and hope for compliance. The signs just get ripped down anyway. Most winters it's really not much of an issue, but with low snowpack this year it becomes a pretty big one.

Don't remember exactly where it is in there, but I know it's there somewhere. Pizzed away 4 years of my weekends on that damn plan! :(

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
.......... Pizzed away 4 years of my weekends on that damn plan! :(

You too eh? The one on the other side was similar, although I wasn't there at the beginning, so I didn't waste as much time. All this pie in the sky and little or no enforcement.

Everything is too mamby-pandy! All they have to doo is confiscate a machine or two and it would be pretty good for compliance but oh no, we will educate first and baby sit. WTF is that going to doo?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You too eh? The one on the other side was similar, although I wasn't there at the beginning, so I didn't waste as much time. All this pie in the sky and little or no enforcement.

Everything is too mamby-pandy! All they have to doo is confiscate a machine or two and it would be pretty good for compliance but oh no, we will educate first and baby sit. WTF is that going to doo?

Yup, they tried to force the Southern Rockies plan on us after you guys were done. Way too restrictive. We wouldn't have any of that. But it seems the restrictions we did agree to aren't being enforced, and the ones we said no to they try to push on us all the time. The only good news is, after dealing with us they didn't have the stomach to do it again somewhere else. Apparantly we were disruptive and difficult! :laugh:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yup, they tried to force the Southern Rockies plan on us after you guys were done. Way too restrictive. We wouldn't have any of that. But it seems the restrictions we did agree to aren't being enforced, and the ones we said no to they try to push on us all the time. The only good news is, after dealing with us they didn't have the stomach to do it again somewhere else. Apparantly we were disruptive and difficult! :laugh:

The whole big problem is with stakeholder's personal agendas. There was not a broad spectrum of "professional" people (by that I mean people being able to look at the big picture and professional as in doctors and lawyers) at the table and that tainted the process. Too many were in it for their personal endeavours.

I was glad you guys were disruptive and difficult because it put the kibosh on our plan/meetings and nothing much is happening anymore. I can live with what the plan did and most restrictions were for the snow free season.

Loadie

Reaction score
Was out there yesterday it was better than I expected . Could certainly use some new snow but a good day nonetheless . On a side note a big shout out to the grooming crew !!! I never seen the trail in from Coal Creek in such great shape !!

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The grooming this year is no side note... Awesome job guys. Keep doing what you are doing, tonight on the way out it was BABY BUTT SmoooooTH. considering how many sled went in and out thats awesome.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How's the snow in the hills boys? Looking at heading out this weekend OR next for sure.

CatAttack900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any updates on snow? I know fernie was calling for some the last few days, just wondering how much it snowed? And how are the trails, pure Ice or good enough to keep sled cooled?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I haven't been out since last Sunday. The so called "event" only dumped 5 cms on the SKi hill. From surfing around, it appears that the further south one went that 5 cms increased to 22 cms but not consistently.

As far as cooling goes, that is totally dependant on various things. The trail is hard packed to Matheson and after that it gets better as far as lose snow goes. On Sunday, I had no problem with heat going up or down. One scratcher, full tail flap, and one big long cooler in the tunnel. No gas on, no bag strapped on, just little ol' me and 163" of track to throw the snow up.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The snowfall wasn't all that big,15/20cm but it fell on top of a bunch frost. I never go out to the notch but was convinced and went way left of it.There was a honest knee deep including the accumulated frost(10/15)cm as well then the snow fall.

Its still not prime snow conditions but plenty good enough for me to go out... plus we have still been finding reasonable snow before this little dump.

and this snowfall really helped the lower trail with a small amount of loose snow.

Top Bottom