Fernie Conditions

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody ridden Fernie recently? I know this should be in the Conditions section but no one has posted in there in over a week! Anybody still riding Fernie?

I'm planning on hitting rolling hills this weekend just wondering how far up the trail to take the pickup?

I've never ridden Fernie this late, I usually head to Silvermines in April but I'm staying away from Silvermines this year. Fernie ski hill is open for the weekend so should be rideable up top?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode fern (morissey) may 24 last year with lots of snow, we drove up almost to where the cat turns off, stopped 2-3 km before that, so there should be some snow to about the bridge still and there is that big open area you can park

what day? maybe I will come meet you guys??

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks Shawn, good to hear. It's just Mark and I so far, Colin is a maybe. I meant to get to Shanks last night to see who might be interested but work interfered.

we're leaving tomorrow after work to ride sat and sun. We'll be at the Stanford if they will still have us...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode fern (morissey) may 24 last year with lots of snow, we drove up almost to where the cat turns off, stopped 2-3 km before that, so there should be some snow to about the bridge still and there is that big open area you can park

what day? maybe I will come meet you guys??

not sure about last year? but this year there is about 10 ft less snow.
rode from morissey staging lot on april 10 and rode a mile of dirt and gravel before any snow on trail. best to leave 4 place trailers home and go with deck or 2 place trailer. no place to turn around till you get to cat skiing turn off. trail in was disappearing fast, as was the snow in the back country 6" / day.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update imdoo'n! I was planning on riding from the dump but maybe Morrisy would be better; the dump road stays down in elevation for quite a while.

I was hoping to drive in a ways but we'll see when we get out there.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Anybody ridden Fernie recently? I know this should be in the Conditions section but no one has posted in there in over a week! Anybody still riding Fernie?

I'm planning on hitting rolling hills this weekend just wondering how far up the trail to take the pickup?

I've never ridden Fernie this late, I usually head to Silvermines in April but I'm staying away from Silvermines this year. Fernie ski hill is open for the weekend so should be rideable up top?

At our wind-up meeting last night....the ski hill closes following the weekend and guys have been known to "poach". With regards to the avy situation...."they've been blasting all winter so it should be pretty safe!" Please take that with a grain of salt this year.

The trail into Rolling Hills is really rough from both sides and the snow is going fast. DECK TIME!!

Into Harvey/29 mile, you should be able to drive to the compressor station and past, maybe even to MacLachie. But definitely DECK TIME, no big trailers.

On the Ram side, the guess was about 50 km marker or maybe up to the slide. If you take a trailer, you will ride a lot of dirt.

Powder Cowboy/McDermid was definitely DECK TIME and the comment was "even that was scary".

Ride safe and have fun.....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes definitely decks or 2 place trailers for the next while. still lots of riding left

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We pulled a good weekend out of Fernie, riding rolling hills from the dump (drove in to the rig mats). Even managed to get stuck a few times once the snow warmed up (after 2pm). Rode till 8pm then got back to a stuck truck! The trail was still in fairly decent shape, we managed to hold 60-70kph coming out without beating ourselves up too bad.

We saw 4 sleds all day, I guess the golf courses are busy? Golfing sucks!

:d

Top Bottom