Fernie, Coal Creek conditions???

speedy740

Reaction score
Hi guys, thinking of coming to the CNP/Fernie areas is it worth driving 8 hours, what are the conditions like in the area? Any info is appreciated.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hi guys, thinking of coming to the CNP/Fernie areas is it worth driving 8 hours, what are the conditions like in the area? Any info is appreciated.

We are grooming twice/week at least. Being honest, we need a dump of fresh but there is lots of riding left. Everything in the open is sun baked and ridden hard; in the trees not so much. Just gotta explore and find the spots.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey fernie
I am bring the whole family and friends up for the family day weekend wondering what the groom sch is.
also wondering if you would know, if we are able to ride from elk valley lodge? we rented the whole place
for the weekend.
from what i have herd is it is not far from coal creek staging area.

Thanks

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey fernie
I am bring the whole family and friends up for the family day weekend wondering what the groom sch is.
also wondering if you would know, if we are able to ride from elk valley lodge? we rented the whole place
for the weekend.
from what i have herd is it is not far from coal creek staging area.

Thanks

The FSA is having a Family Day ride on the Saturday, leaving Coal Creek to the Wrangler's Cabin. Free riding for everyone (ie no trail passes) on the Saturday.

We will groom Friday night and take the groomer out to the cabin on Sat. and groom on the way back Sat evening. Another groom on Monday.

PS This is Saturday Feb. 18, 2012

Yes, you can sled from the Lodge. Nice place! Enjoy

Last edited:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The FSA is having a Family Day ride on the Saturday, leaving Coal Creek to the Wrangler's Cabin. Free riding for everyone (ie no trail passes) on the Saturday.

We will groom Friday night and take the groomer out to the cabin on Sat. and groom on the way back Sat evening. Another groom on Monday.

Yes, you can sled from the Lodge. Nice place! Enjoy

u be at the cabin sat? I think we be there

toyz

Reaction score
how would you rate the trail as from Coal Creek to the Wrangler's Cabin as my family is just beginners. Is it a fairly easy ride and do you pass any avy chutes you need to worry about.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how would you rate the trail as from Coal Creek to the Wrangler's Cabin as my family is just beginners. Is it a fairly easy ride and do you pass any avy chutes you need to worry about.

all good I would say its very safe and easy to ride on,, wide not too steep anywhere... you be all good for sure!!!!! its a good spot for family ride

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice, i cant wait hope to meet u guys there. couple of us want to branch from our group
to go find some more advanced riding.
maybe tag along, or point us the right way would be awesome the three of
us are avid mountain riders, we can handle our own.

anyway see you on the hill
cheers

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice, i cant wait hope to meet u guys there. couple of us want to branch from our group
to go find some more advanced riding.
maybe tag along, or point us the right way would be awesome the three of
us are avid mountain riders, we can handle our own.

anyway see you on the hill
cheers

ya man say hi if ya see us too,, white xp no decals black lights... prob stop at cabin for snack bout 12.30

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm out there tomorrow with the Crow Snow Riders. Will be at the cabin sometime.

Trail is very family friendly. No avalanche danger if you stay on the trail. Some places can be different on the steeper hills.

Just got home from grooming. Trail is baby-butt smooth........

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boy its feast or famine this year. Either in waist deep powder or go 2-3 weeks with nothing. Lots of trucks and trailers fueled up pointing west right now if it snows. Gonna be a chit show. Lol.

toyz

Reaction score
Sounds good, hopefully see some of you there on the weekend.

JustBen

Reaction score
Bump - coming to Fernie for the weekend - any updates?

We're likely going to stage at Corbin and head down the Flathead road. I'm decently familiar with the area down until Flathead from the time I spent working at Coal Mountain.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Bump - coming to Fernie for the weekend - any updates?

We're likely going to stage at Corbin and head down the Flathead road. I'm decently familiar with the area down until Flathead from the time I spent working at Coal Mountain.

It is a "free day" or no trail pass collection for Coal Creek on Sat. Feb 18th. Dogs, burgers, smokies, and drinks available at the Wrangler's Cabin for everyone as it is a Club Family Day. Come out and meet some new peeps. Trail will be groomed Friday night and a day groom on the Saturday. Come out and support the FSA and get the numbers up!

There is lots of untracked tree riding in the Rolling Hills.....really there is!!

toyz

Reaction score
This was a great place to come with the family. We found lots of untracked snow without getting into difficult terrain. Me and the kid were pushing bumper deep snow on Monday, lots of fun.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, we found some 1 to 1.5 feet in places in the notch. I wanted to go back in on Monday as i woke up
to all that fresh snow down low, had to head for home tho.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any up to date conditions on coal creek? Heading down this weekend and cant wait !!!
What about grooming schedule for this weekend?

Thanks in advance.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Anybody have any up to date conditions on coal creek? Heading down this weekend and cant wait !!!
What about grooming schedule for this weekend?

Thanks in advance.

Snow is awesome. Lots of fresh all week.

Grooming on Friday night. Should be pretty sweet for Saturday morning providing we get some freezing temps for set-up time.

Top Bottom