fellow sledders

powerclaw

Reaction score
i have to say ive never been so p.o.d and disappointed as i was last weekend.as me and a good buddy were riding with another small group, which i will not mention i got stuck and as some of you who were in vale. last weekend you know what the chances of that were. as im trying to dig myself out, the other non mentioned group sat and watched for about 10 minuts and then dicided to leave without any help what so ever. i was under the impression that we were all supposed to look out for one another but i guess some people dont have a shred of moral fiber in their body and this almost seems to be a growing trend. [oh, well you got stuck so dig yourself out] im not saying you should rely on people to get you out of a situation all the time but at least stop and ask some one if they need your help. i think someone should right a book on sled edicate.:twocents:

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This all depends on the situation, if someone might be injured or in distress I stop to help them. If your just stuck, too bad buddy. Thats part of the game!! If I stopped to help every stuck person I came across, I would have no time to ride myself and my back would be fawked. Keep digging and quit whining.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I here you! 2 weekends ago me and my girlfriend were sledding in vale and we broke down. A group of guys sat and watched up for about 15 min and then left. But then Monday when we went back to rescue the sled, there was a group of 5 from fort Mac, they helped us out huge! They went above what they had to do. So there is some good guys out there.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have to say ive never been so p.o.d and disappointed as i was last weekend.as me and a good buddy were riding with another small group, which i will not mention i got stuck and as some of you who were in vale. last weekend you know what the chances of that were. as im trying to dig myself out, the other non mentioned group sat and watched for about 10 minuts and then dicided to leave without any help what so ever. i was under the impression that we were all supposed to look out for one another but i guess some people dont have a shred of moral fiber in their body and this almost seems to be a growing trend. [oh, well you got stuck so dig yourself out] im not saying you should rely on people to get you out of a situation all the time but at least stop and ask some one if they need your help. i think someone should right a book on sled edicate.:twocents:

So where was your good buddy?

Every situation can be different. Were you stuck in an area that was possibly dangerous? If so, fine they should watch, but with the same respect, they shouldn't leave either incase something happens.

I have no idea who you are, or your level of experience and not trying to judge you, but ever ride with those people who are stuck every 5 minutes? Eventually they need to learn to get themselves unstuck. We ride with a guy like that, he is a good friend, and at times a good rider, but always manages to get himself stuck in one heck of a place. We usually watch for 10 minutes, have a sandwich, and discuss who is going to go over first to get him out.

I would have to say the sledding community is still one of the best for offering assistance. From time to time we meet new people riding, they want to learn an area and we show them around. We talk about our intentions and how we ride so there are no misconceptions.

Did you call them over to help? Not asking for help when you need it then bitching about people not helping doesn't make it any better.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where were YOUR buddies, crips if i helped dig out everyone I've came across that was stuck whose buddies were somewhere else, my back would have been toast years ago. but i always stop and help stuck ladies who fall behind or get separated from there helpfull group.

Brap

Reaction score
I cruise right past most people that are stuck. They give me the puppy dog look but sorry man your in a chitty unsafe spot in the first place. 90 percent of the time this is the case. Chances are if your stuck in a safe spot you probly don't need help. No sense in risking more livess. Allan creek this weekend a rider got stuck in a terrible avalanche prone spot. A lot of guys at the botttomm of the bowl wanted to go help. I said you park your ass on your seat, turn your sled the right direction, and watch. Sure enough 5 min later he was out and no other lives were risked

powerclaw

Reaction score
This all depends on the situation, if someone might be injured or in distress I stop to help them. If your just stuck, too bad buddy. Thats part of the game!! If I stopped to help every stuck person I came across, I would have no time to ride myself and my back would be fawked. Keep digging and quit whining.
know said you had to dig every one out but at least stop and ask. if the guy looks like he genuenly needs help he will ask. know one wants to wast some one elses time but its just common curtacy to stop and ask.

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said before if I stopped to check on every stuck person i saw, there would be no time for me. I live in Revelstoke and there are literally hundreds of stucks every day. Like I also said before if someone is injured or in distress(broke down) I will stop to help every time. It sounds like the other group assessed the situation and decided you were just stuck and decided to let you deal with it. Riding with buddies is a pretty important part of mtn. riding. as you can see in my avatar its good to have someone to heckle and take photos while your digging. hahahahahahaa

Pwdrh0r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you really just got unlucky with that group that was watching you. Most people on the average day in a safe spot to get stuck help you out. It totally depends on the situation but i wouldnt worry about it. You will run into people that will give you a hand eventually.. I dig out around 10 sleds a weekend or maybe 15 but i get helped maybe once every two weeks. Getting yourself unstuck will also make you a heck a lot of a better rider

Al "ley Cat"

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
" i guess some people dont have a shred of moral fiber in their body and this almost seems to be a growing trend." powerclaw . the growing trend to day poweclaw is people not takeing responsibility for their actions ,hopeing some one else will take care of them when they get into the shiiit . A stuck is way diff. then a break down ! Just chalk your stuck up as a learning lesson on how to ride better in the snow conditions you where in ! When you start you Sled edicate book ,1st chapter should be on not Whining !

powerclaw

Reaction score
Well you really just got unlucky with that group that was watching you. Most people on the average day in a safe spot to get stuck help you out. It totally depends on the situation but i wouldnt worry about it. You will run into people that will give you a hand eventually.. I dig out around 10 sleds a weekend or maybe 15 but i get helped maybe once every two weeks. Getting yourself unstuck will also make you a heck a lot of a better rider
ithink i could use you as a new riding partner

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol ... there is a minimum of 15-20 min dig time before I go help out a buddy .. otherwise they will never learn the value of "not getting stuck in the first place" During that period I usually crack a beer and instruct them to dig better

Now here's a real jackass sled stuck story... my buddies and I were out riding 2 years ago .. came across another group .. a few long track turbo rides and one newbie on an old rev struggling on his first day. Sure enough buddy on the short track rev gets himself stuck in a "pain in the ass" situation while me and my group were resting. The other guys came up to us complaining how much their buddy "on his first day" is getting stuck .. sat there for 20 minutes then offered us $20 to go help him out, saying they are tired of digging him out. now that's a group of folks you shouldn't be riding with !

Should've taken the $20 !!

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell the hole story bruno..... You ditch bang most of the time and and this was your first ride of the year. So this early in the season it is hard going lots of powder (bottem less) snow and you come up with a 153???????
You went to climina and were stuck on the trail on the way to the cabin.....come on. How many times were you stuck before they said your on your own ???? The said other group was my buddy Cal (treedragon) and I have ridden with him for 5 years and he will stop and help anyone anytime, but at some piont if you keep getting stuck from lack of exp or a bad decision ALL DAY than ya your on your own. We all pay alot of money to ride the mountains and time is short. Cal is a vary good rider and a good guy You were just out of your league. Sorry but I wont have my buddys slammed for not digging your ass out all day.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
made a new friend just this past Saturday in Silversands - came across a guy that got seperated from his group and ended up in the tulips. helped get him out. got into the trees. and had a chance to BS. turns out there is good potential for some business dealings between his company & mine.

I guess the loss of a few minutes can pay off

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will always stop and help some one thats alone or i can tell needs help getting unstuck. But the worst is when you go and help them and they just sit their and watch you dig out their sled

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always help people. 2 or 3 people can get a sled out usually in a couple minutes versus one guy taking 45 getting a path stomped out and a good run at it. Seriously folks if you see a person by himself and he needs help how much skin off your back is it to go and pull a ski for a few minutes. Often you get to chatting and you find out you have a fair amount in common or know the same people.

Having said that when someone is stuck on a hill or in a dangerous spot he is on his own.

Man oh man I can't believe how callous the comments are on here. Either I am a really really nice guy you or some of the people on here are just aholes.

Crazy in my mind that a group pf guys would watch a person getting himslef out and not go help. Of course I am a small town guy and maybe I am just NAIVE.

Anyway if you see a guy on a yellow REV in the Kootenays offering to help you out of the goodness of his heart it is probably me. If you see a guy on a yellow REV stuck up to his handlebars in need of a pull maybe help me out cause I would do the same.

Just sayin..........

Last edited:
Top Bottom