February snow conditions

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went down over the ladder and came back through the saddle. I think the ladder is much safer and easier.

Wicked snow behind the saddle, pow turns for days! Sun was out all day and the conditions were great. Not too many guys up but the majority of guys out of fuel and blowing belts on Polaris cats and doos.

Brrrrrrrr on the trail down, even colder than yesterday. Think I stopped 6x. Trail is in excellent shape and perfectly groomed.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the ladder.
No avy hazard there to get to back side.
not to be a nit picker, but your statement is false. Saying that there is No Avy hazard is a little naive. That being Said I still prefer the Ladder over the Saddle any day of the week. If the Snow conditions are good I like to go "Up and over" to the right. The less time you spend on the large slopes the better your odds of not getting caught in an avalanche.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not to be a nit picker, but your statement is false. Saying that there is No Avy hazard is a little naive. That being Said I still prefer the Ladder over the Saddle any day of the week. If the Snow conditions are good I like to go "Up and over" to the right. The less time you spend on the large slopes the better your odds of not getting caught in an avalanche.

Yes you are 110% correct as there is the cornice to the south however in the last 18 years of riding there I have only seen it slide onto the down trail once, typically follows the swale to the right of the trail down. Has slide a couple more times over the years but not onto the trail.

The right hand side on the way to the saddle slides almost every year and onto the trail about once every second year and some times twice a year.
By far the safer way is the ladder. Although the left hand side going into the saddle looks way worse for cornices it slides far less and usually not until spring riding.
These are just my observations by the way.
My bad for being inaccurate.

Used the ladder and dropped in on the other side of the cornice (From wolverine) from the ladder on the weekend.
Snow was awesome, everybody should go get some. Snow levels are normal for this time of year and will be even more epic once this next storm passes through.

I took no cabin deck pictures on purpose.
lol

Makes no sense why I personally use the saddle more or just drop in from Wolverine's two spots..

Last edited:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you are 110% correct as there is the cornice to the south however in the last 18 years of riding there I have only seen it slide onto the down trail once. Has slide a couple more times over the years but not onto the trail.

The right hand side on the way to the saddle slides almost every year and onto the trail about once every second year and some times twice a year.
By far the safer way is the ladder. Although the left hand side going into the saddle looks way worse for cornices it slides far less and usually not until spring riding.
These are just my observations by the way.
My bad for being inaccurate.

Used the ladder and dropped in on the other side of the cornice (From wolverine) from the ladder on the weekend.
Snow was awesome, everybody should go get some. Snow levels are normal for this time of year and will be even more epic once this next storm passes through.

I took no cabin deck pictures on purpose.
lol

Makes no sense why I personally use the saddle more or just drop in from Wolverine's two spots..

Didn't mean to call you out on your comment. I know that you've got the experience, it just came out wrong.
We always use the ladder as well. Not as intimidating as "up and over" , Quite the drop for the faint of heart. BTW what is the official name for the way to the right of the ladder?

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't mean to call you out on your comment. I know that you've got the experience, it just came out wrong.
We always use the ladder as well. Not as intimidating as "up and over" , Quite the drop for the faint of heart. BTW what is the official name for the way to the right of the ladder?

No problems - I was not accurate in what I said. The two drop areas to the right going down are both coming out of Wolverine.......I think that is what the map on the cabin wall says but I rarely go in the cabin.....once every two years???????
The one on the far side of Wolverine (Closer to Mt Pauline, further from the cornice) is a wicked drop.....some people have been said to poop a little on the way down.

If the snow prediction is accurate this week the snow should be almost or even at the roof line.
Bad roads = wicked riding= high avy risks.

Last edited:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problems - I was not accurate in what I said. The two drop areas to the right going down are both coming out of Wolverine.......I think that is what the map on the cabin wall says but I rarely go in the cabin.....once every two years???????
The one on the far side of Wolverine (Closer to Mt Pauline, further from the cornice) is a wicked drop.....some people have been said to poop a little on the way down.

If the snow prediction is accurate this week the snow should be almost or even at the roof line.
Bad roads = wicked riding= high avy risks.

Two drops. I Only know of one. Just to the right of the Cornice when going over. Where is the other one

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
two drops. I only know of one. Just to the right of the cornice when going over. Where is the other one

yup...there is two... The farthest one is the scary one... Feels vertical, and sometimes a whoop at the bottom and hurts the knees ;) ... actually the one year had so much snow, and the wind blew just right, the drops were just mellow rides down, kinda like dropping down into wolverine...

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup...there is two... The farthest one is the scary one... Feels vertical, and sometimes a whoop at the bottom and hurts the knees ;) ... actually the one year had so much snow, and the wind blew just right, the drops were just mellow rides down, kinda like dropping down into wolverine...

I have got to go riding with you guys some time. I don't recall having to drop into Wolverine.Nice gentle slopes to the bottom. unless you want to drop in just under Pullman peak.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I have got to go riding with you guys some time. I don't recall having to drop into Wolverine.Nice gentle slopes to the bottom. unless you want to drop in just under Pullman peak.
yup....I meant fairly gentle slopes... kinda drop in. under Pullman peak was pretty fun too

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have a couple spots in my trailer for the 24/25 and 3/4 but trailer full for the 10/11.
Just let me know.
Only two in trailer each weekend so far.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice pics! Lucky guys got in there first. We cleaned up what you left in the trees where those 4-5 creeks come down. What a great day. I have some pics but it won't let me upload :(

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice pics! Lucky guys got in there first. We cleaned up what you left in the trees where those 4-5 creeks come down. What a great day. I have some pics but it won't let me upload :(

Would have put down more tracks but just couldn’t get going any earlier than 10:30. It was FREAKING COLD on that trail Glad I could leave u something to play in. Lol

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, nice Scott!! The Ant Hills always has the goods after a snowfall! Heading back this weekend again hopefully to warmer temps!! And Barry is right, another reload happening HotRods already cleaned his deck twice with about 5-6" total.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, nice Scott!! The Ant Hills always has the goods after a snowfall! Heading back this weekend again hopefully to warmer temps!! And Barry is right, another reload happening HotRods already cleaned his deck twice with about 5-6" total.

Have fun - had to cancel this weekend.
Instead of about 12 of us at McBride for family day there will be about 30 at the farm instead.
9 year streak at McBride has come to an end.
Oh well....next weekend.

Post pics

Top Bottom