Fawcett Lake

morsky

Reaction score
Spent a weekend at Fawcett Lake quading, fishing and camping last year. The trip out of Edmonton (millwoods) was exactly 3 hours door to door. I expect two and half hours from St. Albert. HWY 44 through Westlock and North to the 2A turn-off to Hondo and further along Smith, Alberta and over the Athabasca River and onwards about 30 km's.

For camping there is a "resort" called The Anchor Inn Resort and they manage their site with 30 or so campsites. All the sites were basic with no electricity, fire pits and wood was dry and $4.00 a bundle of 12 peices. The did not permit outside wood to be brought into the campground. About 2 km's further along from the Anchor Inn is the Provoncial Campgroup, managed by the Anchor Inn, had another 58 sites with some group camping and 4 walking tent sites right beside the lake. Group camping also available. All sites were $17.00 per night and all sites were very well treed and private. Just along the gravel road past the Anchor Inn there were many spots for free camping. One of the best was right beside the bridge at Fawcett river.

All the trails were not maintained. We ran across many downed trees and some mud holes along the trails. I would say a weeks worth of exploring in the area North of Fawcett Lake to cover it all. Qauds were off-loaded in either the Anchor Inn sites or the Provincial campground. So that was a pleasant change to quad right from the campsite. Oddly enough we did not see any wildlife, no deer, moose, bears or otherwise. Somewhat dissapointing considering Lakeland Prov rec area was packed with wildlife.

Fishing was good to fair and we did not have any luck getting any Pike over 63cm or walleye over 43cm. Two boat launches, one at the Archor Inn was in better shape than the one over at the Provincial Campground. A small dock at the Anchor Inn. The shore was somewhat rocky and not very many places to tie down the boat for night. Two small Islands in the middle of Fawcett Lake made for a great spot to set up for the day for a base for fishing and day camping.

I would bring a chainsaw for any ventures out into North Fawcett Lake as we found many spot blocked by larger downed trees. We did not find much skeg but lotsa mud and mud holes along these trails.

Any questions let me know,

Morsky

Camping Season: May 15 - September 30
Camping Fees: $17.12 per night
Reservation Phone: 780-829-2211
Operated By: Anchor Inn Resort
Information Phone Number: 780-829-2211

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a trailer at the East end of Fawcett lake, unfortunately management at that resort couldn't organize a line up to a shithouse. So other than the annuals that are already there it's not open. But there is a free county site that can hold around 8-10 units with a good boat launch. Quadding is excellent but is mainly trail/woods riding and a fair bit of skag if you want it. But you can ride over to Athabasca, Orloff Lake, Martin Hills, Trans Canada trail, Calling Lake or ride completely around Fawcett if you know how. From the East end you can access hundreds and hundreds of square miles of cutlines. I've been there 12yrs now and there's a reason i've stayed thru all the bullch!t and thats because the area is a great little hidden gem. Higgins

Dadbro

Reaction score
I have been living in the Fawcett Lake area for the past 20 years and can vouch for the amount of trails around here. You can go for days with out hitting the same trail but I would not recomend it because you could end up in Fort Mac..So bring your quads, bikes, boats and campers and come enjoy a wilderness weekend. :beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom