Farmer talk

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HaHa they say back in the day that they would pay local lads to breed the younger woman to stop this from happening. They say mom and pop would be on the other side of a curtain to make sure there was no monkey business. Just hop on and get it over with and collect the cash. Our neighbor was approached by the local colony but took a hard pass. The $200 wasn't a deal maker for the notoriety issues.

My buddy from Lethbridge claimed he did it back in the day.....knowing him I don’t think he deepened the gene pool much....

popeye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
0983c315c45a0b0b41af84223d7e67c8.jpg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from the Carbon Credit company I deal with. Provincial Government is getting out of the business after this year I guess? Last year is 2021. They said to call your MLA.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see the provincial govt through AFSC is reducing crop insurance premiums by 20% this year. They are saying this will happen for at least 5 yrs to help offset federal govt carbon levy's. I wonder if the money going to carbon credits is redirected here?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see the provincial govt through AFSC is reducing crop insurance premiums by 20% this year. They are saying this will happen for at least 5 yrs to help offset federal govt carbon levy's. I wonder if the money going to carbon credits is redirected here?

Some of us got out of that decades back, might need a fresh look at it

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of us got out of that decades back, might need a fresh look at it
I need to sleep at night. Got a Buddy doesn't buy any insurance. Took a $1.9 million hit when he got totally hailed out 2 years ago. Wasn't bragging about saving on a premium when I saw him.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya for sure, I still take out good line
Hail, just gave up on the crop insurance side, even as bad as the last five years has been, guys here have not got there premiums back after gov crop insurance paid out.. there is always that one year, but for me it was a losing battle

Some guys are taking global ag and the other out last few years and making some coin,
but big premiums..

I find when you have wreck, have a full heartily wreck and you could get some decent Agrastabity out of it, any other insurance on the side hinders it and used against you.. but you can’t have to many wrecks in a row, reference line will drop to nothing, and will need hail insurance on the side to build it back up

Other thing I hated with Afsc was the leaving hail strips the distance of the field three times a quarter ten feet wide.. just became a weed mess from Shelling out the next year and having to run around trying to clean up
Once they came back Out.. line company’s. Are a chuck the size of your pickup 9 times
In a entire quarter ter..

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. Nothing is perfect for sure. I had 2 bad years in a row before last year. 2 inches of rain each year. Never got a penny of Agristability. I'm out of that this year. Not worth doing the paperwork IMO.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to sleep at night. Got a Buddy doesn't buy any insurance. Took a $1.9 million hit when he got totally hailed out 2 years ago. Wasn't bragging about saving on a premium when I saw him.

Do you remember 2001...? So many guys didn’t take out insurance in ‘02... because those **** years “can’t” happen back to back....

I can’t believe the number of guys that are not willing to protect their investment....? Blows my mind...

Have a buddy farmer that doesn’t carry a ounce of insurance on anything.... crop/hail/home/farm/liability/fire/theft... nothing. Has PL/PD on highway vehicles only...

This past fall... the converter in his holiday trailer caught on fire, trailer was parked beside the shop... burnt the shop down... almost lost trucks, combines, all the equipment inside... didn’t even know it was happening until the neighbour drove in the yard...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you remember 2001...? So many guys didn’t take out insurance in ‘02... because those **** years “can’t” happen back to back....

I can’t believe the number of guys that are not willing to protect their investment....? Blows my mind...

Have a buddy farmer that doesn’t carry a ounce of insurance on anything.... crop/hail/home/farm/liability/fire/theft... nothing. Has PL/PD on highway vehicles only...

This past fall... the converter in his holiday trailer caught on fire, trailer was parked beside the shop... burnt the shop down... almost lost trucks, combines, all the equipment inside... didn’t even know it was happening until the neighbour drove in the yard...
Yeah I'm the same. I'm probably over insuranced but like I said I need to sleep at night. I look at it as just another input cost. Its a write off to.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of a older farmer that told
Me.. do you ever realize what you spend in insurance over your lifetime in all insurances..

His dad never believed in it so he followed his foot steps, does not insure anything.. other than what he has to for vehicles

Said Over his life he’s had some wrecks just like the next guy, but lives a conservative life, takes very good care and maintenance of his equipment, 4000ac farmer

He’s had a smoke house burn down, had a few thief’s , burnt a semi .. he’s 71 years old now and still farms, for the fun of it let’s say ..

I look at my premium column on my spread sheet and times that by 40 years.. it is alarming

Top Bottom