scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pea patch puppy

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342880341.498061.jpg

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have to ask, because I don't know? There is a farmer just up the road from me, and he is already bailing (something?) Is it not a little too early yet?

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to ask, because I don't know? There is a farmer just up the road from me, and he is already bailing (something?) Is it not a little too early yet?

Did he harvest it before he started bailing? Somebody is always bailing hay or ditches around here it seems. Sorry i cant answer your question totally trasher. Its a different country up there and i dont fully understand their farming practices and rotations. However im kinda like you about it, i just follow this thread as well as some other sites (combineforum.com) to teach myself about other farming practices.

So basically to answer your question.......if its hay or road ditches its not too early but anything beyond that..........hell if i know.

Sent while not working too hard

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did he harvest it before he started bailing? Somebody is always bailing hay or ditches around here it seems. Sorry i cant answer your question totally trasher. Its a different country up there and i dont fully understand their farming practices and rotations. However im kinda like you about it, i just follow this thread as well as some other sites (combineforum.com) to teach myself about other farming practices.

So basically to answer your question.......if its hay or road ditches its not too early but anything beyond that..........hell if i know.

I noticed that his field was swathed Friday on the way home, when I was out putting up my fence today in the front. I seen the bailer go by, his field is maybe 400' from my house.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's likely hay. Depending on the year, location, and the type of hay/grass you can get 2 or 3 cuttings per season around here.

Did you notice him "raking" the swaths at all before he bailed it? This would turn the hay over to help it dry, as well as combining 2 swaths into 1 usually.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned that it might be hay? haha

We've been haying for the last week or so. Beautiful hay this year. Can't wait to sell it all.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, ouch. How long did it do that for? Looks like some heck of a piles. Sorry about your luck. Mother nature always wins, sometimes we dont like the outcome though.

crp

Reaction score
It sucks but isn't really a surprise, we're headed out to check crops right now....kinda dreading it but it is what it is.

crp

Reaction score
That sure does suck! Pretty big hail stones, eh!

Any amount of those suckers would doo a lot of damage in a hurry.

At least there were no tornados! That was my big fear, Ryan and the boys were away so it was just me and the little one huddled under the stairs in the basement, right before it hit there was a big thunderhead that was slowly swirling over our shop and I'll be honest hail was my last concern! The wind picked up all my patio furniture off the veranda and when I heard it going I thought I was done for sure......it's heavy well made stuff. That's what hail insurance is for, I just can't believe how it sheared the canola off. Even the grass in the ditches looked mowed........CRAZY......40 bushel/acre-5 in 60 seconds............

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least there were no tornados! That was my big fear, Ryan and the boys were away so it was just me and the little one huddled under the stairs in the basement, right before it hit there was a big thunderhead that was slowly swirling over our shop and I'll be honest hail was my last concern! The wind picked up all my patio furniture off the veranda and when I heard it going I thought I was done for sure......it's heavy well made stuff. That's what hail insurance is for, I just can't believe how it sheared the canola off. Even the grass in the ditches looked mowed........CRAZY......40 bushel/acre-5 in 60 seconds............

Seems like alot of hail this year. The weather is getting more violent every year in my opinion.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Years back (2001?) We had a bad hail storm come through. We had a couple corn fields go from 180 bu/ac approx. down to a final yield of 73. You could walk out in the field at harvest and it was only bout waist tall. Anybody thats grown corn knows how tough of a crop it can be.

Not down playing your storm one bit crp. Just saying farming can sure be a humbling experience. Also had it where we have been harvesting soybeans in the fall. Storm move in..........were combining 50bu. beans and once the storm passes there you sit in the combine, ground is just yellow with beans, and now you finish harvesting the field at 10 bu/ac. Sad sad sad.

crp

Reaction score
It always can be worse that's for sure! I will take this year over 2002! I promised myself I'd never marry a farmer that year as we baled what should have been canola to feed our cows, feed was pretty scarce. Won't be the last hail storm we live through!

Top Bottom