Farmer talk

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any experience with a grainhandler grain dryer? I'm fixing an older one up for a guy but have no documentation for it.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any experience with a grainhandler grain dryer? I'm fixing an older one up for a guy but have no documentation for it.

Negative. Hear there are quite a few people with them but we opted for a meyer 2400s tower dryer about 8 years? ago.

Sent while not working too hard

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of schlerotina in our area this year and will be for a long time until guys quit pushing the 4 year rotation on canola.

I think that sclerotinia has more to do with the environment (hot/humid during flower) than the rotation. Saw some pics posted on agriville of a field that had 60% infection on a 4 year rotation.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that sclerotinia has more to do with the environment (hot/humid during flower) than the rotation. Saw some pics posted on agriville of a field that had 60% infection on a 4 year rotation.
This year was an odd one as I had some in mustard that was on land that had never had canola or mustard before. Daniel , the agronomist for Viterra in our region said that this disease is caused not only by conditions but also from guys pushing there 4 year canola rotations. He did say this was one of the stranger years for schlerotina though.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How did your canola do on your irrigation this year Johnny? I saw your earlier post with all the aborted pods.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our best canola is getting blown in to 7 foot high piles. Only a quarter,oh well. At least it's not on fire.
The rest averaged 45bu/ac. We are 70% done.
How far along are you guys?

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This year was an odd one as I had some in mustard that was on land that had never had canola or mustard before. Daniel , the agronomist for Viterra in our region said that this disease is caused not only by conditions but also from guys pushing there 4 year canola rotations. He did say this was one of the stranger years for schlerotina though.

We had some land that we always seemed to have problems with when it came to schlerotina - regardless of 3,4,5 years rotations. We got some soil testing done in those specific areas and it was recommended to add some different fertilizer/nutrients especially to those areas. Now every year we hit those spots with a spreader truck before seeding and have no to very little issues with schlerotina. If its wet and humid during flowering still like this year you can't help that - but that's where the chemicals come in!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had some land that we always seemed to have problems with when it came to schlerotina - regardless of 3,4,5 years rotations. We got some soil testing done in those specific areas and it was recommended to add some different fertilizer/nutrients especially to those areas. Now every year we hit those spots with a spreader truck before seeding and have no to very little issues with schlerotina. If its wet and humid during flowering still like this year you can't help that - but that's where the chemicals come in!
What are the soil samples requesting for fertilizer? More urea, phos?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our best canola is getting blown in to 7 foot high piles. Only a quarter,oh well. At least it's not on fire.
The rest averaged 45bu/ac. We are 70% done.
How far along are you guys?

I have 80 acres of Mustard left that isn't ready and some low spots of wheat that weren't ready. You don't have land in the path of the fire do you? Sorry to hear about the piles.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are the soil samples requesting for fertilizer? More urea, phos?
It's mostly copper, boron, and other micro-nutrients (magnesium and some other stuff I think). We put a bit with the blend on the entire field, but a little extra in certain areas prone to some diseases definitely seems to make a big difference for us.

Top Bottom