Farmer talk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what he was saying was crushers are running pretty much full capacity and sitting on a good supply, they are estimating something like 11mmt still on farm in western Canada, line companies aren’t moving much to export and are dealing most of their purchases back to the crushers, possibly leaving a couple million ton carry out! Which is adequate to keep futures in check longer term. Short term, sooner than later these FCC loans need to be paid and all this canola that guys are sitting on with fingers crossed starts coming to town….. crushers sitting full…… basis widens!
Election years looming so expect the USDA bullch!t machine to keep the supply/demand numbers in the status quo to keep food inflation from accelerating anymore!
$14 canola doesn’t pay the bills anymore around here that’s for sure and with another drought looming for the spring it’s a bit to to be very enthusiastic unfortunatel!

A couple weeks ago peas were $13.50 and canola was $14.50. Never seen those 2 trade that close in price before.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sold wheat for 14.75 last year and i got one small canola basis contract next month looks like that will be sellin for 14.25-14.50

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen the were harvesting in Brazil on the twit machine but then marketing says the forecasted rain is going to ease drought concerns and help production. To much bull$hit in the markets trying to screw us steady

I was listening to Corbett Wall's Feeder Flash the other day! He's a Feeder Cattle market guy from Kansas, he was saying that as soon as you realize that the USDA's primary objective is to maintain cheap food prices everything else starts to make sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody else gettin stats ca n requests about the farm more frequently used
To be every couple years now it seems im selected yearly i have received about 10
Emails and 3 phone calls a day that i ignore
Whats the fine for not doing these?
There ridiculous anyways gov dont need to no what i do on my farm

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody else gettin stats ca n requests about the farm more frequently used
To be every couple years now it seems im selected yearly i have received about 10
Emails and 3 phone calls a day that i ignore
Whats the fine for not doing these?
There ridiculous anyways gov dont need to no what i do on my farm
Your information is very valuable…
Anybody asking should be compensating you for your time and expertise….
Anyone who calls, the first thing I ask is what they’re paying…. If not… hang up
They’re always going to be calling back.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t do surveys unless they pay. I make some decent pocket money doing Stratus Research surveys and Ag Data ones

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t do surveys unless they pay. I make some decent pocket money doing Stratus Research surveys and Ag Data ones
This is the go verment one were it takes about 2 hours to do stats can one where tbey say your legally required to do them, all other farm surveys i choose to do i either get a check or gift cards

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow...

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 8.44.48 AM.png

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a stats can guy here an hour ago.. talked him in circles for awhile and never actually answered the survey lol! I was having fun but the poor guy was getting pretty short with me, understandably! Lol Anyway we got BSing about the job and he was telling me that I wouldn't believe how often he got told off, yelled at, called racist names, absolutely hates the job! The guy had a really dismal view of producers in general! I know we all hate Stat Cans crap but the person on the other end is just trying to put food on the table like you and me and deserves the same respect as any other hard working folk... Agriculture has a shitty enough rep in the public eye,I always try to be present and respectful and give them the run around with humor!!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a bin audit 3 years in a row from AFSC after harvest was completed. These were years where there was no shortfall. Finally I called the local office and asked them if there was a problem? They said not at all it’s luck of the draw. I said I can’t even win $5 on a scratch card but have a bin audit 3 yrs in a row? I told her to find someone else’s time to waste. Haven’t had an audit since.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a bin audit 3 years in a row from AFSC after harvest was completed. These were years where there was no shortfall. Finally I called the local office and asked them if there was a problem? They said not at all it’s luck of the draw. I said I can’t even win $5 on a scratch card but have a bin audit 3 yrs in a row? I told her to find someone else’s time to waste. Haven’t had an audit since.
“Luck of the draw”… my ass

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a stats can guy here an hour ago.. talked him in circles for awhile and never actually answered the survey lol! I was having fun but the poor guy was getting pretty short with me, understandably! Lol Anyway we got BSing about the job and he was telling me that I wouldn't believe how often he got told off, yelled at, called racist names, absolutely hates the job! The guy had a really dismal view of producers in general! I know we all hate Stat Cans crap but the person on the other end is just trying to put food on the table like you and me and deserves the same respect as any other hard working folk... Agriculture has a shitty enough rep in the public eye,I always try to be present and respectful and give them the run around with humor!!
Never rude to the people just doin there job in any aspect they dont deserve to take ch!t management and supervisors take the farmer rage lol

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Had that exact same thing happen to me, we hadn't grown milling oats in like 20 years and the year we did everything clicked here and they were dam near 200 bu/ acre so they audited us that year and for the next two after that! Then I called and said WTF?? Haven't had one since!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had that exact same thing happen to me, we hadn't grown milling oats in like 20 years and the year we did everything clicked here and they were dam near 200 bu/ acre so they audited us that year and for the next two after that! Then I called and said WTF?? Haven't had one since!
We would always disagree on how
Much grain was in a bin. They would say it only will hold this much. I would say this is what the manufacturer says and this is what we haul out of it all the time. We could never agree. I took my slips for wheat in one year and the adjuster was to low on my production by almost 800 bushels just on the wheat. Most of these guys are failed farmers that needed employment after they sold their farm. Some of them you can see why.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We would always disagree on how
Much grain was in a bin. They would say it only will hold this much. I would say this is what the manufacturer says and this is what we haul out of it all the time. We could never agree. I took my slips for wheat in one year and the adjuster was to low on my production by almost 800 bushels just on the wheat. Most of these guys are failed farmers that needed employment after they sold their farm. Some of them you can see why.

The local guys up here are really good guys actually, super fair! But one is my next door neighbour so he can't do our stuff so we end up getting some kid from who knows where! Had one out this summer to do a yield assessment for a change of intention to make some silage! Estimated our Oats at 215 bu/ ac in a drought year where it ended up going 100 on a similar quarter right beside the piece we silaged! I kinda shook my head and laughed cause I knew we wouldn't be in a claim and just thanked him in my head for the index bump!

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out here they dont measure bins anymore u put your numbers in and where u haul they pull random farmers out of a hat and check all grain slips

Top Bottom