Farmer talk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may have seen it
but never heard of that name before
c'mon guys the suspense is killing me
It’s probably the biggest weed concern on the prairies right now because most of it is glyphosate resistant. The pic Johnny shows is kochia when they are dead and turn into tumbleweeds at that stage. The Western Producer says the average plant can produce up to 270,000 seeds at maturity. Plants can grow
As high as 4ft high.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s probably the biggest weed concern on the prairies right now because most of it is glyphosate resistant. The pic Johnny shows is kochia when they are dead and turn into tumbleweeds at that stage. The Western Producer says the average plant can produce up to 270,000 seeds at maturity. Plants can grow
As high as 4ft high.
K thx guys I have seen those around the orchards here too I always just called them tumbleweeds as thats what they turn into eventually

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say to spray it. If the weeds are going to prevent harvesting it’s definitely not a fun or easy decision
We have lots that I hope don’t have to spray as well. Canola and lentils sprayed already
On the plus side. Gly is down to $4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
As high as 4ft high.
Aren’t the real tumbleweeds from thistles?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aren’t the real tumbleweeds from thistles?
Yes Russian thistle but these do the same thing Doug. They dry out in the fall, break off in the wind and roll till they get to a shelter belt or fence. This is why I have kochia issues in my home quarter. I have an organic farmer next to me. These are from his field rolling onto mine.

Attachments

• IMG_2028.mov
    25.9 MB
  • IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    576.5 KB · Views: 111

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yes Russian thistle but these do the same thing Doug. They dry out in the fall, break off in the wind and roll till they get to a shelter belt or fence. This is why I have kochia issues in my home quarter. I have an organic farmer next to me. These are from his field rolling onto mine.
That video is quite descriptive. Thanks for sharing and enlightening us non-farmer types.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a piece of ch!t.
Oh the stories I could tell. Italian conglomerate buying up all the land and turning the county into a weed farm. Has 2 JD high clearance sprayers yet markets as organic. Neighbours sell him grain for export but I refuse to. Has cost me and others so much trying to keep our land clean. It’s at least a 3 beer story next time you are going by bud. Haha

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don’t most counties have a weed control policy
They can’t do anything unless it’s a noxcious weed. Lethbridge County has specified that it is now but Vulcan County is hesitant to do this. All you can do is complain to the county Ag guy which we did and he had a rather spirited talk with the Italian who threatened to punch him out. Long story short, that’s all I can do at this point. Even thought about an 8’ ft page wire fence between us. The retards he has running his equipment would have that wrapped around a 70’ drill on the first pass.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can’t do anything unless it’s a noxcious weed. Lethbridge County has specified that it is now but Vulcan County is hesitant to do this. All you can do is complain to the county Ag guy which we did and he had a rather spirited talk with the Italian who threatened to punch him out. Long story short, that’s all I can do at this point. Even thought about an 8’ ft page wire fence between us. The retards he has running his equipment would have that wrapped around a 70’ drill on the first pass.

I hate to say this word but… lawyer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom