Farmer talk

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I jumped Over to neighbors crop, wanted to make sure i would not hurt it today as wind from west.. shocked me to see how many bugs in a plant, counted 8 and very thin.. most plants eaten completely

Kinda happy I stayed away from the oil seeds this year after loooking at that

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I jumped Over to neighbors crop, wanted to make sure i would not hurt it today as wind from west.. shocked me to see how many bugs in a plant, counted 8 and very thin.. most plants eaten completely

Kinda happy I stayed away from the oil seeds this year after loooking at that
Good plan. I think Canola was designed to make chem companies rich

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
You doing incrop Fred? I'm rolling lentils. Waited until they were up, watched people's blow pretty good who rolled right after the drill so figured let the ground set up a bit. If we don't get that rain this weekend I'm thinking we will end up letting cows on to what's fenced, cut and bale what isn't fenced and hit it with Roundup and a second mode of fall. I hope we get rain though.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird because on the outside looking towards the farmers ? It sure never looks that way ? Lol
I think you would be surprised if you looked at some of these guys liabilities with the lenders. Lots of guys our way farming with way newer and bigger equipment than the land base they have. Farmers with 1500 acres with new high clearance sprayers. 70 ft Bourgault drills and big HP tractors. And they live in a 50-60 yr old house. Lol A lot of keeping up with the Jones.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised if you looked at some of these guys liabilities with the lenders. Lots of guys our way farming with way newer and bigger equipment than the land base they have. Farmers with 1500 acres with new high clearance sprayers. 70 ft Bourgault drills and big HP tractors. And they live in a 50-60 yr old house. Lol A lot of keeping up with the Jones.

With big shops , motor homes , every expensive toy you can imagine , holidays in the winter someplace warm , sledding all over with the latest and greatest machines !?
It sure looks unreal !!
Hope it all works out

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With big shops , motor homes , every expensive toy you can imagine , holidays in the winter someplace warm , sledding all over with the latest and greatest machines !?
It sure looks unreal !!
Hope it all works out
Don't get me wrong. There are lots of multigenerational families that have accumulated a lot of family wealth over the years. A lot is not having to rebuy land over and over but rather have it handed down in wills succession. Land prices have gone up dramatically in the past 20 yrs as well. Dad bought our land at the time for $125/acre and some people in the community said we would never pay for it. I bought it from him20 yrs ago for $600/acre. Now land in our area is going for $4300/acre. Land is and always will be an excellent investment.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn’t want to mention what some are paying for land in rent or purchase?
My calculator just doesn’t make the numbers work ?
I guess it does and hope it continues as we sure need the farmers .

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn’t want to mention what some are paying for land in rent or purchase?
My calculator just doesn’t make the numbers work ?
I guess it does and hope it continues as we sure need the farmers .
Its the new math they are teaching them in schools now bud. Lol

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!

My old farmer friend told me that many moons ago. He said it’s easy to figure out how much land a guy has and what his equipment and vehicles cost. A lot of times the costs don’t jive. I’ve never forgot that and now u bring it up so I got to reminisce.

Nonetheless, I’d like to thank the farmers for the job y’all do and the risks you take with no guarantee of success. Crazy mofos!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope this happens, rather then a mistake
9ef1b179f5177f29d48b3f40b4e2db35.png

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah we were never forecasted for more than an inch so I'll take any puddles if I can even get that. Lol

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sprayed lentils all day.. there not to bad.. durum wheat ok, rye looks ****y.. chicks not the best.. little to dry before first rain

Top Bottom