Farmer talk

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not going to get any better either Ken :(( Should be certified organic. I have been paying $18/bu for HRSW. So far I have bought 110,000 bu which started at 14.50 now up to 18. Crazy as I can't find enough supply! Barley is depressed though at $8/bu Having issues with getting rail cars though grrrrrr and now spreading to trucks. CP/CN gotta get their crap together.

Yeah a real train wreck after getting $8-$9 wheat last year..

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a call today, buyer in the us is looking for a train run of number one 14 protein

as for price he was working on it, but did mention it could be close to a zero basis... With the stronger US dollar, this could be a nice time to let mine go...

Let you know If this works out

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good protein is getting hard to find in the US. Good luck! I know guys have been waiting for rail cars since mid Nov.

Got a call today, buyer in the us is looking for a train run of number one 14 protein

as for price he was working on it, but did mention it could be close to a zero basis... With the stronger US dollar, this could be a nice time to let mine go...

Let you know If this works out

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not going to get any better either Ken :(( Should be certified organic. I have been paying $18/bu for HRSW. So far I have bought 110,000 bu which started at 14.50 now up to 18. Crazy as I can't find enough supply! Barley is depressed though at $8/bu Having issues with getting rail cars though grrrrrr and now spreading to trucks. CP/CN gotta get their crap together.

Holy cow.....I need to get our organic certification. Only live on 20 acres but 18 bucks a bushel is insane! Have 3 mini bulk bags I grew last summer sitting in the shed that I plan on feeding the chickens next summer.

Last edited:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you had 300 totes I would be calling you :)

Holy cow.....I need to get our organic certification. Only live on 20 acres but 18 bucks a bushel is insane! Have 3 mini bulk bags I grew last summer sitting in the shed that I plan on feeding the chickens next summer.

Reaction score
I'm new on here but been lurking for awhile. I'm a farmer in the middle of Washington of mostly dryland wheat. Wish you guys up north would send some snow down here. Always have a couple of feet this time of year but are completely snowless. Had a windstorm last Monday and fields were blowing dust.

Steve

CatAttack900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well nothing sold this crop year, but I also felt that the prices till now are nothing to right home about as well....a few hail cheques to get me threw, but I have full intentions and bin space to store for better times

This big crop threw the parries seams to only make our logistics make money, seen today p&h handling charges of 1.80bu on spring wheat...

Funny thing I heard today, that urea went up 30/ ton to 480

Fred, Who are are you buying urea from for 480 a ton? Here in Taber right now it is just over 600 a ton!! Complete bull**** with the price of commodities.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow the federal government just mandated today that the rail companies must move 5500 grain cars a week to port or they will be hit with a $100,000/day fine. Way to go Harper! Lots of grain companies paying demarage? fines right now as freighters sit empty at the coast. My guy from Louis Dreyfus said 55 ships right now!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fairly sad to be hauling to Montana, going by ten local elevators that have been plugged since sept... They should be fined a million a day for all the money they lost ag already this year

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fairly sad to be hauling to Montana, going by ten local elevators that have been plugged since sept... They should be fined a million a day for all the money they lost ag already this year
Some interesting info I consumed at a recent marketing info meeting put on by the head marketing guy with the CWB a couple weeks ago. He said that because grain transportation is under a rate cap system the rail companies would rather haul un capped produce across Canda than haul for less for the grain companies. Makes sense if your running a business to make money? He also said that the grain companies are there own worst enemies as when the rail companies ask them how many cars they need they say something like.....I need 100 cars next week at this location. Rail asks ...what about next week? Grain company says....don't know, I 'll get back to you. When the rail company asks the coal guys or potash guys they say ...I need a 100 cars every week for the next 52 weeks. It makes it alot easier for the rail companies to plan there business operations. Maybe the grain companies need to keep shipping and refilling at a faster rate? They could have taken my March priced wheat in January if they wanted and paid me now if they want to keep rail cars coming? Just something to think about?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would farmers pay more to get there grain moved? I know I hate seeing all the deductions on my grain cheques. Tough call. What do you guys think?

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would farmers pay more to get there grain moved? I know I hate seeing all the deductions on my grain cheques. Tough call. What do you guys think?

I'd rather pay for the service, than be charged for the lack there of, which is essentially what's happining now. Producers are charged that demarage cost via the basis, I think we would be better off paying a higher freight rate and moving our commodity's to the customer.

farmerboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to have to change my name to "Formally known as Farmerboy" My pockets arnt deep enough. Booked an auction. Time to try something else rather than to keep borrowing against equity.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I learnt alot in my one season out in sask, enough to know I could never get into the game even if I wanted.
I guess having hedged for the past harvest may have been a good thing in hindsight ...
the grain companies seem to not care coz they win either way ...

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been following Machinery Pete on twitter for some time, prices incredible! Time to send the old Versatile 500 south.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been following Machinery Pete on twitter for some time, prices incredible! Time to send the old Versatile 500 south.

The manufacturers are pricing alot of this new equipment out of most farmers reach. I agree. Give us horsepower, reliability and something we can work on and not have to call the dealer everytime. Farmers dont need space shuttle technology in the field.

farmerboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the equipment at farm auctions is all 80's and early nineties with some exceptions of all new and big. I can work on that vintage equipment without a laptop plugged into it. If it has a computer you almost need to take it to a shop for $125/hour. I laughed the first time the hotshot hoped out of the service truck, hands covered in grease, with his lap top to tell me why my new balewagon wouldn't work. Good thing there is warranty. I think thats why so much equipment is leased or some guys keep it new because of the repair costs being covered by warranty

Top Bottom