Factory 2 stroke turbo vs stock what would u buy?

extrmsled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a matter of time before the industry comes out with a factory turbo
what would u buy?
turbo 800 with no engine coverage
stock with 3-4 yrs engine coverage
I would love the power but with 15-20 days of riding in the
mountains a year reliability is a big factor.who wants to be wrenching
on sleds when the sun is shining and there is deep pow

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would try the factory turbo! I always wanted one but my wife thinks I don't need one ( which she is probably right!). But with a factory turbo I would still have a stock sled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be all over a factory 2 stroke turbo. Warranty would obviously be minimal or non existent, but I believe the fun factor would make up for that. Throw some good shocks on and ride!

Russell P

Reaction score
That would depend on price, who's turbo set up and who's programming. I honestly could care less about a warranty, I don't mind doing my own work and I don't have to worry about a month of downtime because the dealer is booked up. Long wait times are the norm no matter the brand.

If I could snow check my brand of sled with a reputable and proven turbo setup already on it at 1/2 the price of a aftermarket turbo, yes I would buy it. If it is a setup that does not have the best of names or poor history, regardless of price, no I am not interested.

If you could buy it straight from the factory ready to go, it will force the aftermarket to lower their prices to a more realistic number. Either way it would be a win-win for us.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would depend on price, who's turbo set up and who's programming. I honestly could care less about a warranty, I don't mind doing my own work and I don't have to worry about a month of downtime because the dealer is booked up. Long wait times are the norm no matter the brand.

If I could snow check my brand of sled with a reputable and proven turbo setup already on it at 1/2 the price of a aftermarket turbo, yes I would buy it. If it is a setup that does not have the best of names or poor history, regardless of price, no I am not interested.

If you could buy it straight from the factory ready to go, it will force the aftermarket to lower their prices to a more realistic number. Either way it would be a win-win for us.

If you think aftermarket turbo prices are out of line. Try building your own kit. It won't be much cheaper.

Russell P

Reaction score
If you think aftermarket turbo prices are out of line. Try building your own kit. It won't be much cheaper.

Just seems odd that you can turbo a vechicle for less money than you can turbo a sled, or replace shocks on my diesel for half the price of what it would cost to replace the front shocks on my sled for that matter. LOL

Or is it just me thinking this?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just seems odd that you can turbo a vechicle for less money than you can turbo a sled, or replace shocks on my diesel for half the price of what it would cost to replace the front shocks on my sled for that matter. LOL

Or is it just me thinking this?
No, the prices on a lot of the turbo kits are very high. Fortunately the guys marketing the higher priced kits are continually doing R&D to keep improving their products and I feel that goes a long way in justifying the price as opposed to other manufacturers that aren't changing or innovating anything.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its been said that polaris may have a 600 turbo from factory coming out..... doubtful. But would be probably mild and cheaply done but probably would push out 180 ish hp everywhere? Still would be decent.

Russell P

Reaction score
No, the prices on a lot of the turbo kits are very high. Fortunately the guys marketing the higher priced kits are continually doing R&D to keep improving their products and I feel that goes a long way in justifying the price as opposed to other manufacturers that aren't changing or innovating anything.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I believe R&D is costly and is necessary to creating a good product. I am no expert but, once a certain amount or R&D is done it will carry on through the product line and not have to be repeated. Thus less R&D required to produce a good product. A prime example would be electronics. Yes when something totally new hits the market, price is high, but the following generations or variations of that product, the price starts to drop.

Again, I am not an expert but most turbo systems appear to be very similar in design, there are some exceptions, but more or less the same. Seems to me the real difference is in the programming and quality of production.

(SK)AndyM

Reaction score
I realize this is about 2 strokers, but I went to a dealership in saskatoon this past summer looking at vipers and I was told I wouldnt get warranty on the factory MPI Turbo setup riding below 5000'. Has anybody else been told this?? I would say theres a good chance a 2 stroke turbo from the factory would be pretty tame for a turbo sled. And leave you wasting $3000ish on a turbo set up your going to get tired of after seeing it compared to all the aftermarket beasts out there. And with the possibility of voiding warranty below 5000' you might as well spend the cash and get the real deal. Although with a lower boost turbo you wouldnt need a bunch of chassis upgrades to plant that power to the snow properly. Tough call, would love to see it happen and check out what they can do, but I would probably pass on the factory turbo as I did with the Viper. Stuck with the 2 strokers this year and getting a boost-it turbo kit done, super pumped.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I realize this is about 2 strokers, but I went to a dealership in saskatoon this past summer looking at vipers and I was told I wouldnt get warranty on the factory MPI Turbo setup riding below 5000'. Has anybody else been told this?? I would say theres a good chance a 2 stroke turbo from the factory would be pretty tame for a turbo sled. And leave you wasting $3000ish on a turbo set up your going to get tired of after seeing it compared to all the aftermarket beasts out there. And with the possibility of voiding warranty below 5000' you might as well spend the cash and get the real deal. Although with a lower boost turbo you wouldnt need a bunch of chassis upgrades to plant that power to the snow properly. Tough call, would love to see it happen and check out what they can do, but I would probably pass on the factory turbo as I did with the Viper. Stuck with the 2 strokers this year and getting a boost-it turbo kit done, super pumped.

I read that they got a 5000 and under kit now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(SK)AndyM

Reaction score
Here's my thought. I just want the power lost at altitude back. So a summit t3 174 with 170 actual HP at 8000ft would be badass. And would it really harm the reliability being that it's not pushing much more hp than at sealevel? Say 4psi pump gas I'm down

I hear ya, as long s the price is reasonable would be a good option

Top Bottom