Exhaust Brake???

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Jake Brake or Pac Brake??? I have a 05 Ram with Cummins, 6 speed. Looking for someones openings as to which is better. The on board air that is required with the Pac Brake would be nice for filling tires and stuff. :confused:

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, any particular reason for going with the Pac? Any one know what a Pac setup costs???

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the exhaust brakes are like a fraction of the price of a jake brake

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry I really dont know to much about them but I do know a couple guys with cummins with the pac brake and both are running issue free and have been for over 140,000 of towing i'm sure the bd one will be as good but i just reporting on the one i have seen run and work

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry I really dont know to much about them but I do know a couple guys with cummins with the pac brake and both are running issue free and have been for over 140,000 of towing i'm sure the bd one will be as good but i just reporting on the one i have seen run and work

Great, thanks for the info. Its always great to hear other peoples opinions.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Jake Brake makes the MOPAR exhaust brake, this would be a far better choice for the Dodge...

Pac would be my second, but the Jake has a higher retarding factor, and is warranty approved...

With the 05 you will want heavier valve springs which are part of the Jake package...

Oh ya, did I mention warranty approved??

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Jake Brake makes the MOPAR exhaust brake, this would be a far better choice for the Dodge...

Pac would be my second, but the Jake has a higher retarding factor, and is warranty approved...

With the 05 you will want heavier valve springs which are part of the Jake package...

Oh ya, did I mention warranty approved??

Jacobs been around for along time....proven product :d

Last edited:

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My original factory warranty ran out in July, so that’s not a factor (time to mod the truck) :d:beer:.
It is my understanding that the Jake system works on vacuum and relays on a pump to create this vacuum wile the Pac uses compressed air. If one installed Pac's 2.5 gallon tank then you have on board air for tires, air bags and other stuff, which would be nice if you ever get a flat. Of course you could not run power tools on it but in a pinch it would be helpful.

Any one running a complete Pac-Brake and on board air system on there truck??? :confused:

Attachments

• kit_2halfg_tank.jpg
    kit_2halfg_tank.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 78
  • HP625V%20copy.jpg
    HP625V%20copy.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 91
  • PRXB_1.jpg
    PRXB_1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 79

smokindiesel

Reaction score
okay, the jacobs brake doesn't retard as much as the pac brake will. The pac brake has the most retarding power out there, asides from BD,s air powered brake(they have a vaccume brake too). I would recomend the pac brake, It will cost more, but its the highest quality and most powerfull out there. Plus the onboard air will be really handy. BDs air powered exhaust brake is second to the pac brake. Now if you get into the vaccume powered exhuast brakes(BD, jacobs) they will a little less retarding power, but will still work good for a long time. I see your in stony plain, give NADP a call, i belive they are a pac brake dealer.

I almost forgot to mention, you don't need exhuast springs on a 98 1/2 and newer dodge cummins.

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks for the opinion. i am currently a customer of NADP (new South Bend 450HP / 1000 ft/lb clutch up grade :d:beer:) and have been thinking of adding a Pac Break for some time. You know how it is, you only want to shell out the cash once and get exactly what I want the first time. Now all I have to do is pay for it. .....LOL.......

Top Bottom