excavator rental

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to rent an excavator to do some clean-up.... 320 cat or 200 Hitachi size with thumb.... need it west of Leduc about 70km for a few days to a week... anyone know a good place in the Edmonton area to rent one and what the going rate is for a machine that size? thanks

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Terrateam isn't bad, but a hoe that size isn't going to be cheap. Going to be looking at around $800-900 a day, or about $3200-$3500 for a week. Depending on location of place (terrateam is like spruce grove), at least $700-$1000 each way and that's a good rate. Generally looking at minimum $150-$180/hr for a lowboy and that's from the time they leave shop until they are back, so would be like 6 hours. If you're experienced running one and going to get a full week of use it might make sense to rent or find one really close by for a good deal, but a few days it's going to cost about the same to just get someone out there to do it. Two days rental and moving will be minimum $3000 plus say $400 in fuel. Two days hiring that size of a hoe would maybe be $3500-4000. And I can assure you unless you run one a lot, two days with someone experienced running one will do more then 3-5 days of someone who doesn't really know what they are doing will.

I have a 210, but I don't rent it out as you just have no idea who you're renting to.

DeNytroguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Terrateam isn't bad, but a hoe that size isn't going to be cheap. Going to be looking at around $800-900 a day, or about $3200-$3500 for a week. Depending on location of place (terrateam is like spruce grove), at least $700-$1000 each way and that's a good rate. Generally looking at minimum $150-$180/hr for a lowboy and that's from the time they leave shop until they are back, so would be like 6 hours. If you're experienced running one and going to get a full week of use it might make sense to rent or find one really close by for a good deal, but a few days it's going to cost about the same to just get someone out there to do it. Two days rental and moving will be minimum $3000 plus say $400 in fuel. Two days hiring that size of a hoe would maybe be $3500-4000. And I can assure you unless you run one a lot, two days with someone experienced running one will do more then 3-5 days of someone who doesn't really know what they are doing will.

I have a 210, but I don't rent it out as you just have no idea who you're renting to.

wow rentals are expensive in your area, around here we pay 2k/ week for a Deere 200 with thumb. And definitely agree. An experienced operator will get more done in 2 days than someone who doesn't have much experience.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow rentals are expensive in your area, around here we pay 2k/ week for a Deere 200 with thumb. And definitely agree. An experienced operator will get more done in 2 days than someone who doesn't have much experience.

Yea it's not cheap. I was so overwhelmed in the spring I had considered renting a 200 from terrateam but rates are so high there was no money to be made unless you have a solid 200 hour month working it, the daily and week rates are way too high. Then it's about $50/hr, then add $25/hr for fuel $30/hr for operator so there's a bit to be made hiring out at $150/hr.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to rent an excavator to do some clean-up.... 320 cat or 200 Hitachi size with thumb.... need it west of Leduc about 70km for a few days to a week... anyone know a good place in the Edmonton area to rent one and what the going rate is for a machine that size? thanks
That's a big ole hoe.
Whatcha doing?

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's getting pretty hard to get $150 an hour for a 200 size around the lower mainland. The new canadians are getting into equipment now and are slashing the rates like the trucking industry. We have lost some customers at work because some are putting out 200 size for $90 -$95 an hr and including moves if they get at least a weeks work.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's getting pretty hard to get $150 an hour for a 200 size around the lower mainland. The new canadians are getting into equipment now and are slashing the rates like the trucking industry. We have lost some customers at work because some are putting out 200 size for $90 -$95 an hr and including moves if they get at least a weeks work.

Ouch....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't even get out of bed for a rate like that. Personally i'm bidding many jobs above $150/hr now, plus $600 for in city jobs for moving. If someone doesn't like the price I tell them to get someone else, I have way more work then I can handle. Anyone doing work for those rates won't last long. There is some of them here, but never heard of rates quite that bad. I get the odd "we have someone at this rate", but I know my prices and stick to them, a lot of times it's BS and I get the job anyway. Every time i've budged it's ended up being a job not worth doing because not making any money, and my original price was what the job was worth so I don't even consider it anymore. Chances are if it's by the hour, they are gouging the hours like crazy to make up for it. I've dealt with a few like that hiring trucks, super low rate but screw around and try to pad the hours so it ends up being the same price.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a big ole hoe.
Whatcha doing?

Had a tornado go across my property last summer. Got a bunch of trees that need to be cleaned up and a bunch more that need to be pushed over and taken out as well. While I’ve got the machine there I’ll build a couple of pads for future buildings. I’ve got quite a bit of experience with excavators so I’m confident enough that I can do what needs to be done in a week at the most.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a tornado go across my property last summer. Got a bunch of trees that need to be cleaned up and a bunch more that need to be pushed over and taken out as well. While I’ve got the machine there I’ll build a couple of pads for future buildings. I’ve got quite a bit of experience with excavators so I’m confident enough that I can do what needs to be done in a week at the most.

Tractor ranch/envoy rentals in spruce grove is another option. They likely can haul their own equipment too.

Top Bottom