Everything BaoFeng & VHF Radios

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok just for you skegpro, I used a uv5r with a short antenna in my house had to penetrate 2 walls to the direction of my test, so I could shorten the distance. I will not test any UV-82 period so do not ask. Tested radios GT-5tp the special version that will not program with chirp, Zastone A19 with a mic, TYT, DM-5R, GT-3TP version 3. First one to fail at distance 3k was the DM-5R, next neck and neck GT-3TP and the TYT at about 5k, the GT-5TP at about 6k. The Zastone A19 at 9k out was still sending a receiving clear I just came back, but the Zastone as a delay on the ptt switch so you have to hold it for a sec and then talk, software is not the best, Chirp will not work. Zastone without the mic reaches only 6k, something wrong with the ptt switch I think.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after this testing guess what I bought another Zastone, and for all you guys that do not know this.....the Zastone A19 is "waterproof". Zastone radio to Zastone radio.. is going to be unreal. After using google earth distance calculator it was 7.5 k straight line distance to where I came back home.

Last edited:

Wrench & Ride

Reaction score
Well .. Wrench & Ride??? Having troubles with RAR files? 7-Zip will help. Set pass repert noise to 1000
It was a no go. Took a lot of screwing around because Im working from a Mac so i had to run a virtual machine to get it to work. Played around with the settings you suggested but nothing seemed to work. There's a replacement coming in the mail soon. Hopefully have better luck with that one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wrench & Ride

Reaction score
Also if anyone else wants to play around with the VIP software and is using the original UV82, the ZIP. file version for the UV-82HP on the baofengtech website seemed to work fine for the original UV82. I was having some issues with a MSCOMM32.OCX file error when using the RAR. version of the download.... but in the end CHIRP is the cats azz for the regular guy that wants to put some channels in.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Everything BaoFeng & VHF Radios

Ok just for you skegpro, I used a uv5r with a short antenna in my house had to penetrate 2 walls to the direction of my test, so I could shorten the distance. I will not test any UV-82 period so do not ask. Tested radios GT-5tp the special version that will not program with chirp, Zastone A19 with a mic, TYT, DM-5R, GT-3TP version 3. First one to fail at distance 3k was the DM-5R, next neck and neck GT-3TP and the TYT at about 5k, the GT-5TP at about 6k. The Zastone A19 at 9k out was still sending a receiving clear I just came back, but the Zastone as a delay on the ptt switch so you have to hold it for a sec and then talk, software is not the best, Chirp will not work. Zastone without the mic reaches only 6k, something wrong with the ptt switch I think.

Wow you were busy today.

Hmm very interesting, what anttenna did you have on the GT-3TP.

GT-5TP makes sense, has the same chipset as the UV-82HP.

That's a little disappointing for the TYT.
I had higher hopes for it.

How many watt is that zaztone? In the link you posted above I am seeing 20W but that can't be right, can it?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after this testing guess what I bought another Zastone, and for all you guys that do not know this.....the Zastone A19 is "waterproof". Zastone radio to Zastone radio.. is going to be unreal. After using google earth distance calculator it was 7.5 k straight line distance to where I came back home.
Awesome. Where is the best place to buy these?

And what's the longest anttenna we can put on it without going to a telescopic.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any testing done on this radio to see if it's putting out the 10 watts they claim??

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine from ebay.com .. radio8688 about 83-84 dollars Canadian. Sorry for not putting what I think was the 771 on the gt-3tp, just the original antenna that comes with it. The TYT I could only use the original as well it was close to the 771 in size. When you are near the computer you can hear the noise on the computer when hit the ptt switch, so even though I do not have a tester for wattage I know the Zastone is putting out a lot more wattage than the other radios. My wife was monitoring at home with the uv-5r, rating 1 for clear and loud to 5 for being poor and can't hear. All radios received a 1 at 1/2k, All radios received a 1 at 1k except for the Zastone without the mic it was 2. 5k out GT-5tp 2 , TYT 4, Gt-3tp 5, Dm-5r 5, Zastone with mic 1, Zastone without mic 3. 6k out gt-5tp 5 Zastone with mic 2 without mic fail. 9k out Zastone with telescopic antenna 2. End of test. She said without a doubt the Zastone was clearly the winner, however without the mic it is not that great. I am hoping the next one I get will not have this problem.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Everything BaoFeng & VHF Radios

I ordered mine from ebay.com .. radio8688 about 83-84 dollars Canadian. Sorry for not putting what I think was the 771 on the gt-3tp, just the original antenna that comes with it. The TYT I could only use the original as well it was close to the 771 in size. When you are near the computer you can hear the noise on the computer when hit the ptt switch, so even though I do not have a tester for wattage I know the Zastone is putting out a lot more wattage than the other radios. My wife was monitoring at home with the uv-5r, rating 1 for clear and loud to 5 for being poor and can't hear. All radios received a 1 at 1/2k, All radios received a 1 at 1k except for the Zastone without the mic it was 2. 5k out GT-5tp 2 , TYT 4, Gt-3tp 5, Dm-5r 5, Zastone with mic 1, Zastone without mic 3. 6k out gt-5tp 5 Zastone with mic 2 without mic fail. 9k out Zastone with telescopic antenna 2. End of test. She said without a doubt the Zastone was clearly the winner, however without the mic it is not that great. I am hoping the next one I get will not have this problem.
See your video above, how many watts you reading off that?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was 2 hours programming that digital radio, I am not ordering another one of those pain in the aZZes. It would just fill in any dam frequency it wanted, I had to go over and over again rechecking to make sure it did not fill in some other crap into it, over and over again I had to refill it in right....finally got it.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20 watts, it sounds not true. But I would not bet money on that. Kill that battery in a hour...haha

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gee Whiz I have had this radio for almost a year now, because of the ptt switch being faulty, I had almost shelved it. I did program it with chirp once using wouxun kg UV-8D if my memory serves me right. However I am using Radio Commander version2.2.1 on my desktop to program it now. Just encase anyone else wants to order one. Seems the yanton maybe the same radio. Your antenna must be capable of 10 watts.
https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/4923

Last edited:

MOUNTAIN MICKEY

Reaction score
Picked the UVB2 PLUS up from the post office this morning. Nothing new including the 8w power output. My meter tests it at 2.4w on LOW and 5.2 on HIGH. My GT3 Mark2 tests 3.3w on low and 5.8--5.9 on high. Does have the 4800mah battery so will be curious to see how that works out. Battery has a charge port built right into it. Standby, rec., and transmit colors are or can be different just like the truck radios. Only benefit to having this might be the 4800mah battery. Programs nice and easy just like all the other Baofengs. User manual is 100% duplicate of B5. Comes in 4 different colors 48 bucks Canadian Saw it for 24 US Just a touch smaller than a GT3 so assume the same size as B5. Curiosity will make me try something else now. ----used a GY561 to test the wattage. Updating this post. I have now done MY test on battery performance. While the 4800mha battery does test "better" its not significantly better but just barley better. I tested it against my new (week old) 1800mah battery In my GT3 MK2. MY test method. Both batteries charged to max. Turn both radios on and set to FM radio Not the best testing methods, but its my way. 1800 was dead at 6am next morning. 4800 was flashing low voltage at 6am next morning. Started the test at noon the day before. Antenna on the Uvb2 Plus is not as good as the Gt3. Had to put a longer 771 antenna on to get FM reception and also had to put it on a window sill. updated battery test Jan 27/17

Last edited:
Top Bottom