Evans Waterless Coolant

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody try this coolant in the pro yet? From what I've read about it, everything makes sense except for the increase of 3 - 10 degree in temp.
in a sled that already runs quite warm with scratchers down, running down the hard packed trail from the steep and deep, kind of concerning.
What do you think?

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about trying this in my Pro. My 163 runs a touch hot. Where can you buy it?

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the $28 mod as they call it. It will drop your temps and no issues with fancy coolant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Evans doesn't work well in cold temps at all, it gells up.
Even spring riding on my dirt bike I found it gells and causes problems and MAJOR cleanup. Expensive coolants just aren't going to help with the pros tendency to run hot in low snow. Spend your money on extra scratchers.
In the middle of summer, Evans and engine ice coolants did not yield lower temps on my bike.... just higher boiling points which did not really solve a problem. Now my bike will hit temps that can cause engine damage without boiling. This is why I got a Std rmk this year.... The front cooler makes the difference!

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used water wetter in my old sled and hyper lube in my new one with no issues. Normal driving temps don't change much but when you're working it hard the temps stay lower.

nwoprormk

Reaction score
Evans doesn't work well in cold temps at all, it gells up.
Even spring riding on my dirt bike I found it gells and causes problems and MAJOR cleanup. Expensive coolants just aren't going to help with the pros tendency to run hot in low snow. Spend your money on extra scratchers.
In the middle of summer, Evans and engine ice coolants did not yield lower temps on my bike.... just higher boiling points which did not really solve a problem. Now my bike will hit temps that can cause engine damage without boiling. This is why I got a Std rmk this year.... The front cooler makes the difference!

Absolutely.......me also. Plus I feel it gives the bulkhead some xtra strength, IMO

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you guys flush the cooling system before adding the evans? Apparently gelling will happen if theres more than 3% water in the system. Evans has the flush that can be used more than once, as long as theres no more than a certain amount of water in the flush. Haven't found out what that percentage is yet.
The boss just bought a sh&t load of it and I'm doing my own research on the stuff before putting it in anything.

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup I flushed my bike system thoroughly with their prep fluid before trying it. At about -10c it gelled and stayed gelled until I got rid of it and tried again in warmer temps. It was fine in warmer temps... but let me repeat my findings:
With normal 50/50 coolant my bike would start boiling at about 185deg (on my trailtech guage)
With evans I never got it to boil but roached a piston and head gasket at about 215deg.
So, while it may raise the boiling point of the system, it will not prevent engine damage from over temp running, Which makes the point of it moot for me.
Also, if you ever have a leak or hose burst, you won't be able to add water to get out of the bush.

My testing with Cycle Logic Engine Ice got similar results, but it's friendlier to use and will allow water to be added when in a bind with a leak in the back country.

I feel the best and most cost effective things you can do to keep a pro from going thermal in low snow are
1- run multiple sets of scratchers.
2- get rid of the ported snow flap and put a solid rmk flap on.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes that's it. I use the terra alps racing bypass tstat which is made out of aluminum vs the doo plastic, more money though. They both accomplish the same thing.

Top Bottom