etec throttle body cleaning?? Do I need to clean them yearly??

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if a guy needs to do any cleaning on the etec throttle body to potentially remove any bad fuel sludge that could be built up?? There isn't a fuel bowl like a carbed engine but there still might be deposits somewhere in the throttle body waiting to cause grief.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh ??

Throttle body's just have air.

Etecs are direct injection ( injects on piston top )

Bout the only thing is like sea foam to keep the gas good.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could check but I bet there clean. No fuel or oil passing through means no debris really sticks inside. But can't hurt to check and clean if required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol etec reeds do get gummed up with ****, theres no fuel cleaning the reeds out anymore, and oil and sludge do get in there and youd be surprised how dirty they do get, low kms sleds i wouldn't worry about but after 1500 kms they get dirty. i would clean them once a year. if you disagree you should take reeds out of a old 1000 sdi or 600 sdi (same deal and most of these sleds never had their reeds cleaned, reminds me of my lint catcher in my dryer!!)

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol etec reeds do get gummed up with ****, theres no fuel cleaning the reeds out anymore, and oil and sludge do get in there and youd be surprised how dirty they do get, low kms sleds i wouldn't worry about but after 1500 kms they get dirty. i would clean them once a year. if you disagree you should take reeds out of a old 1000 sdi or 600 sdi (same deal and most of these sleds never had their reeds cleaned, reminds me of my lint catcher in my dryer!!)

Agreed, I would clean the throttle body once a year for sure. It will not hurt anything to do it and you would be surprised with how much carbon deposits get built up on the back of those throttle plates and reed petals. Should not be a huge concern if you don't clean them but in extreme cases you may see a sticky throttle as well as reed petals.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol etec reeds do get gummed up with ****, theres no fuel cleaning the reeds out anymore, and oil and sludge do get in there and youd be surprised how dirty they do get, low kms sleds i wouldn't worry about but after 1500 kms they get dirty. I would clean them once a year. If you disagree you should take reeds out of a old 1000 sdi or 600 sdi (same deal and most of these sleds never had their reeds cleaned, reminds me of my lint catcher in my dryer!!)

but that was on a rev-rt chassis and the air box sucked in belt dust ect ...

The xp-xm sucks outside air and is 95 % less chance of it ....

Top Bottom