Engine/turbo troubleshooting 800 etec

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you get it to run?

sure did. Held together for a couple rides now! Having an overheating issue now seems like the thermostat is sticking. my turbo components arent coated so im thinking the extreme temps might have warped that crappy plastic housing causing it to stick.

but other than that the sled is absolutely terrifying. Clutching is spot on, great low end, not a single hesitation fart or burble at any point in the fuel map. Think ive got er dialed and its amazing!! been on alot of turbo sleds and this thing is one of the best if not the best ive been on. considering its a TSS i was a little worried but im honestly impressed after cleaning up some of their shortfalls.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes every sled is different right from the factory. But not exactly sure I follow your post correctly. So u had your oil pump adjusted to deliver more oil then turned it back down again? U started at #8 now @ # 2. Or is it the lower the # the more oil it delivers?

Only seeing this now. May or may not of had a drink or two prior to that post. The lower the number the more oil it delivers. Both mine and Oler1234 had our oil injection turned up minutes apart by the same tech at the same shop. From factory, mine had a setting of 8, his had a setting of 3. Mine is currently at 6 and his is at 2. Dry crankcase and having the skies pointing towards the sky is not a good thing if you ask me. Which is why I run the extra oil injection. Was advised by the techs not to run oil in the fuel as it has adverse affects on the injectors, or so I have been told.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read through this and am curious any idea what root cause was? Bad injector,Tuning, Reed or lack of oil? Did you put it back together with all the same aftermarket parts now that it's running?

DeNytroguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your cylinder definitely leaned out, but many have different idea's of what a lean out condition is. It is not an oil issue, nor is it a spark plug issue or an overheating issue.Simply the piston got too hot because the air/fuel ratio was wrong for that cylinder at that moment. The scuffing cover's the hot side of the piston Exhaust side. Pin to pin but without melting the exhaust port portion of the piston. I doubt it would be injector related as it is my experience that generally the port side of the piston would be damaged alot more as this generally happens at or near WOT.Your damage does not show that, i would check bottom end seals and intake seals. I bet you have a seal leak...most likely at the intake.BTW, the cleaned off piston crown is normal for a lean out as the carbon get completely burnt off.

X2 in that!

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can run premix in an etec with no issues. Did it at 40:1 for 8000k original crank and pistons on mine and used 50/50 91/100ll which will dry and destroy your fuel system also according to some. just myth. no effect except longevity.

Top Bottom