Engine problem

vinson4ever

Reaction score
Got a buddy who has a 05 Outlander. Had it since new but not many miles on it. Took it in, because would not start. Found out the crank is cracked. My question is, how do you crack a crank. Heard of bearings going but not this. Anybody have this issue before. He was told 3 grand to fix. Doesn't seem practical when the bike is probably only worth 4 grand.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure how you can crack a crank (maybe he meant a connecting rod?) but you can certainly make the repair a lot cheaper if you do some of the work yourself. First buy a service manual which will give you a step by step guide on everything. Then remove the engine from the frame yourselves and if you are feeling up to it, pull the top end parts off as well so all you have to do is send the repair shop a bottom end to fix. The more you can do yourself the more you will save on labour costs which is where they nail you the hardest.

vinson4ever

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. But I agree, I think he needs to look into it himself. It was taken into Wetaskwin Motorsports, not saying it was analyzed wrong, but you never know. If it is pooched I've suggested just parting it out. Should be lots of broken down outlanders out there lol.

Top Bottom