Engine life across the board seems to be dropping? Or is it just me?

togo ripper

Reaction score
you want reliabilty get a yamaha 700 red top triple had two with 20000km each never rebuilt and run like new... i love me a mountain max

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ya yamaha triple. They rocked. Used to be able to get like a 760 big bore or something can't remember exact cc? Down right nasty!

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the SRX 800 big bore made 180 hp I think and were very reliable. At one of the yamaha training schools the yamaha rep said the SRX 700 crank was designed to take 200hp all day long, the crank was welded and trued from the factory, there were no ball bearings, all were rollers and every bearing was a different size so harmonics would only effect one bearing at a time....that was one sweet engine....

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
I miss my SRX big bore almost everytime I ride. Crazy smooth, totally bulletproof and made awesome power! If I could find a way to wedge one in an XM, I'd do it tomorrow! I'm pretty sure it would give my 860 a real good run for its money.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really get heated over this debate as all triples came in the heavy and low slung f chassis and heavier ck3! There was a few that adapted them to the s chassis that worked decent. I just seen a 925 triple wedged in ol poo chassis the other day that was a light weight 163 mod. He also has a 880 big bore xp 163 and says the old sled kicks his butt without turning on crack jug!But you gotta think the upright ridin position of xp has its merits over ol poo wedge?
Yep they worked great in rev chassis too.
A buddies sled.

Attachments

• ch!t and stuff 3 006 (478x640).jpg
    ch!t and stuff 3 006 (478x640).jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 154
  • ch!t and stuff 3 008 (478x640).jpg
    ch!t and stuff 3 008 (478x640).jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 156

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did your buddies sled work? I've heard mixed reviews on this. I think the biggest issue was running without airbox! I talked with Chris Bondi and he says airbox is a must. More consistent jetting and with all those pipes under hood temps are high.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many of the rev triple pipes were down 20+hp from the same engine in a sled where the pipe could have the correct dimensions to make them work. Some of the newer pipes might be better now

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the life expectancy of a sled motor now days. I read on the internet all over about new sleds needing rebuild or what have you around 1700 to 2300 miles. To me that's poor reliability. Maybe some peoples (not picking on any certain person or people) money comes easier than mine. If I'm gonna shell out 12, 13 to maybe 15k for a sled, that damn thing better run a minimum of 5k miles. I see a semi load of doos sitting in the lot with around 1800-2000 miles on them and dealer is still asking 8k to 9500 for them! Seems a little excessive for something that I'll potentially have to rebuild right away. Especially if you break down and need a chopper to haul the sled out. That would be a great way to give any beginner a bad taste in his mouth for the sport. Now I know even the new breaks down, but why oh why spend 8 to 9k on a sled that the odds are stacked against?!?!?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did your buddies sled work? I've heard mixed reviews on this. I think the biggest issue was running without airbox! I talked with Chris Bondi and he says airbox is a must. More consistent jetting and with all those pipes under hood temps are high.
It worked good nothing like it does in the S chassis on the asphalt ,the rev chassis does restrict a lot on air boxes and pipes .

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the life expectancy of a sled motor now days. I read on the internet all over about new sleds needing rebuild or what have you around 1700 to 2300 miles. To me that's poor reliability. Maybe some peoples (not picking on any certain person or people) money comes easier than mine. If I'm gonna shell out 12, 13 to maybe 15k for a sled, that damn thing better run a minimum of 5k miles. I see a semi load of doos sitting in the lot with around 1800-2000 miles on them and dealer is still asking 8k to 9500 for them! Seems a little excessive for something that I'll potentially have to rebuild right away. Especially if you break down and need a chopper to haul the sled out. That would be a great way to give any beginner a bad taste in his mouth for the sport. Now I know even the new breaks down, but why oh why spend 8 to 9k on a sled that the odds are stacked against?!?!?!

U can get a brand new summit sport for 9500$ with 3year warranty. Might be a good option

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U can get a brand new summit sport for 9500$ with 3year warranty. Might be a good option

Is the verdict on the PTEK out yet or are they just saying its a Doo so it's gotta be good? :confused:

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think a lot of people in this thread are getting mixed up between mountain miles and trail miles. Huge difference in abuse and rebuild schedules.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people in this thread are getting mixed up between mountain miles and trail miles. Huge difference in abuse and rebuild schedules.

I'm sure these sleds that are getting a motor rebuild I am talking about in my post are mountain sleds. I realize the mountain is harder on equipment than trails but I'd still expect them to run for a minimum of 5k miles. Why would you build a 154" or bigger track sled and put a trail motor in it? :confused:

Chances are good I should be working!

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree and that's why I love the Suzuki 600 triple 700 and 800 twin engine I have had several with zero issues, now I don't get to the mountains as much as I would like, but average 700 to 1000 a year, I also know Robin in Blue and believe on his 2010 M8 in 2 years of nothing but mountain riding put on over 6500 miles on, compression still exc and no issues. In saying all of this does anyone know how the knew 600 cat engine is?

Top Bottom