Engine life across the board seems to be dropping? Or is it just me?

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that this new light weight 800cc (and even 4strokes) just don't seem to last. We have had a Quite afew 800rs in our little shop blown to bits. These are primarily 3500ish km machines which in my books is low km. I thought it was brp exclusive but after talking to engine builders it's everyone. Even the famed yammi 4-strokes giving grief. It used to be the old rotax engines would outlast the body but not anymore! Have we demanded so much from our sleds that we now basically have throw away sleds? I think the money paid out is not covering the short life span. Especially the mtn sleds? What you guys figure??

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hit the nail on the head, mountian sleds have become disposable for the most part. If someone built a heavy, low powered but reliable and durable sled, nobody would buy it. Just ask Yamaha from the last few years. Lol

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suppose down east the engines get decent life and that's where oems get most of their data not to mention sales! But c'mon 2500km on a engine before rebuild that's ridiculous ! I know they can build and have built better than this! We have some 583 sleds running around this area with way over 10000km. Chassis is done motor still going?i know EPA had a hand in this also!

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I so much agree. look at the 2003 polaris 700 engines. I had one and at 4500 miles I had a mid life done on the engine(really didn't need it). My dragon lasted 1700 miles and blew up with carnage everywhere. these sleds are costing more and more every year and I feel if the economy takes a dive less and less people will be buying them, especially if the cost for parts to repair them keep going up.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that this new light weight 800cc (and even 4strokes) just don't seem to last. We have had a Quite afew 800rs in our little shop blown to bits. These are primarily 3500ish km machines which in my books is low km. I thought it was brp exclusive but after talking to engine builders it's everyone. Even the famed yammi 4-strokes giving grief. It used to be the old rotax engines would outlast the body but not anymore! Have we demanded so much from our sleds that we now basically have throw away sleds? I think the money paid out is not covering the short life span. Especially the mtn sleds? What you guys figure??

My last 3 sleds have all lasted 4000miles with no issues. 08 xp, 2- 09 xp's. Sold 2 of them still have one that is running like the day I bought it. I think it comes down to how the owner warms it up and drives it. Most of these riders don't let there sleds warm up before going full blast up a trail all the way to the alpine...

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
team dirt said it ...

here in golden alota locals get good miles outa their sleds. and we aint easy on them in the mtns, but the trails are merely axcess to us not a race track.
my flat land rig pig buddies are always rebuilding motors ???

I was told that BPR went on a weight loss program from the rev onwards and the wieght loss came at a cost. my old rt1000 is pushing 10,000miles and the motor has about 8,000miles on it and is still cracking! however the tunnel is cracking up. it did alota snowboard tandum laps and got riden as hard as I could get her to go breaking open as much terrain as possible.
sure give me a freeride anyday, but bang for buck ...

shall we start talking about 670's ???

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put 4600 MILES on my 2011 Etec before selling it. Was still running great. They do need to be warmed up when started cold.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this 4600 miles or km? We usually see melt downs around 2500-3500km. I will say 4600 miles if that's all mtn ridin that's impressive.

rooster 54

Reaction score
I suppose down east the engines get decent life and that's where oems get most of their data not to mention sales! But c'mon 2500km on a engine before rebuild that's ridiculous ! I know they can build and have built better than this! We have some 583 sleds running around this area with way over 10000km. Chassis is done motor still going?i know EPA had a hand in this also!
Nope, they blow up just as fast.An e-tech can last anywhere from 1000 to 10,000 kms.Seems like those who go always fast last longer, is ti because they use more oil?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the etec engine is proving to be a reliable engine. They wouldn't be backing it with a 4 yr warranty if it was a time bomb. Not to many failures in my neck of the woods. Actually none that I know of but I'm sure there's a few it's just statistics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey the temp gauge says its warm so I'm gunna open the raves all the way to the cabin !!!

this isnt rock crawling in Moab eh?

how often do these blow up guys check over thier machine, like maybe chain case oil n stuff ...

if your belt only lasts 7 hour then maybe you should do some homework eh?

I like stock sleds, lets see how many miles I can put on this rt1000 ???

almost 1000km in a month ...

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the other guys have said, a well-taken care of sled should last. I see lots of guys, mountains and prairies, who don't allow their machines a moment to warm up. These things cool off quick, so even if you've only been sitting for half an hour having a break you should give it that couple minutes to build a good temp. Regular maintenance goes a long way too.

That being said, 800's have always been a grenade since they dawn of the class (it seems to me). 800's (and larger) are slapped into sleds that people want to flog the piss out of. I think they're getting better but it's been a decade of people exploding the hell out of their machines haha. I know a lot of people who have been sledders for 20+ years who just can't remember sleds coming apart like they do now.

Now if only we could get 670 reliability out of these beasts. Those things were like the chev 283 of the sled world.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought my 97 Summit 583 new, in the fall of 96. Always warmed it up, did my preventive maintence every summer. Sold it to my brother with 5000 miles (not km's), he put another 2000 miles on it, asked me to inspect it. Because he was selling it to a friend, it was close to 10,000 miles when his buddy rebuilt it just because!!! My 2000 700 RMK, was another solid ride, even after Mountain Magic kicked it out to a 151 and it got abused harder..... My 04 Rev didn't last a season before the crank let go :( but I did buy the Rev used... My 10 Dragon 800 has been flawless, other than electrical issue's which I can't do phuck all about....
I think that the new sleds are getting better, but I also thing that the manufacturers are making too drastic of changes too fast and that is why there is so many little problems. (which are BIG when you break down).
Do I think that they are getting worse........ Yes and No.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the new DI technology has taken away from the oil in the crankcases, meaning less reliability, and HP wars have meant over-revving these motors to make the power we want, when in reality its simply beyond them. An 800 is not designed to last above 8000 rpm. Hell even the 670 stayed below 7800 rpm. The triples would have revved 8500 because the firing order meant they were smoother and the cranks could take it. Most of them were counterbalanced too. Most of the 600's built today will outlast an 800 any day. There's lots of discrepancy about rod angles and case flex on the 800's, but no one will really ever know.

Cat is getting good mileage out of motors, always been the best out of the 3 2 stroke builders. Even the new Poos and Doos are getting more before rebuilds, maxwell's point is good, a 4 yr warranty says lots. We lost a Doo 800 in our group this weekend, crank bearing on a 2010, but it happens. I haven't heard of this "4 stroke" dilemma you are talking about, unless it was self-inflicted with a turbo or losing the oil plug.....

APEX 1

Reaction score
I do not agree with comparing the yamaha 4-strokes to the disposable 2-strokes,I know two yamaha dealers in the Edmonton area who claim very few issues with stock machines ,even ones on boost very reliable.I have 07 Apex mtn with 8250 km zero issues with motor.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got to disagree. 07 1800km crank seize, 08 3000KM top end blown, 09 5000km top end blown, 2nd 09 5000miles top end blown, 2012 5000Km broken skirt. 2013 9900KM and still going strong after the top end done which the pistons still looked good.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is an RX1 in the garage with about 16,000km on it !!!
ok so the front end is sad ...
but it runs every day the crew goes out and its flawless ...
well it just needs some new arms n stuff up front, but you cant kill it !!!
chances are it will stil be running on the same motor in 10 years time ...
say that about any other machine ...

cookgio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup those 670 were a great motor but lol I just upgraded to a 2013 m1100 turbo love the power but not the weight wish it was a proclimb lol

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe your right my 2001 800r i rode it 8500 k.m did the top end at 5000k.m as recommend piston were i very good condition .But now my 2010 Renegade went 2800 k.m seize a piston rip up a cylinder and i was a lot easier on my 2010 then 2001 .And parts /mechanic told me 2800 k.m was getting close to a rebuild any ways what the hell with that scary

Top Bottom