Engine break in?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about the synthetic versus mineral oil issue. I've heard some engine builders recommend running the cheapest mineral oil you can find for the first tank, then go back to synthetic.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about the synthetic versus mineral oil issue. I've heard some engine builders recommend running the cheapest mineral oil you can find for the first tank, then go back to synthetic.

You're just trying to stir the pot...aren't you??

Some guys say synthetic is too slippery and doesn't allow the rings to seat correctly since it doesn't let them wear. Old synthetics used to be harder on seals and gaskets than the newer stuff - not so much of an issue any more though.

Here's two points to ponder though - one supporting both sides: The Viper comes from the factory with synthetic in the crank case, so go figure right? EngineMasters did a test on a 392, they put Lucas synthetic in it and picked up 9 HP alone, so it does reduce friction more than conventional oil.

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
drive it like you stole it... good warm up and cool down and don't hold WOT for too long... or you can do what I do and ignore that suggestion because your buddies told you that they took your sled out a couple of weekends prior and did the break in! I probably would have rode it differently if I knew the truth... this was a good lie!

It went across field many a time, made sure that it got really hot, did a couple of climbs onto the back of the truck, what do you mean it wasn't broke in. Break in periods are for them there lesser sleds like Polaris and Yamaha. Skidoos don't require it

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
It went across field many a time, made sure that it got really hot, did a couple of climbs onto the back of the truck, what do you mean it wasn't broke in. Break in periods are for them there lesser sleds like Polaris and Yamaha. Skidoos don't require it

LOL... true dat! You guys were even nice enough to remove the hay from the sled prior to me seeing it at the hills! Very sneaky! lol

Top Bottom