Enclosed Tralier - Lights flickering ??

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last two times I've pulled my enclosed aluminum trailer....the exterior lights flicker like a disco.(Like a bad ground). I've checked the connection and it seems good....took the plug out and "blew" into it and reconnected it and no better. NOW....I did notice my interior light is burnt out. Would that effect it ??? Where does an aluminum trailer "ground" ?? The plug??? the hitch ??? The other goofy thing is ...I plugged that trailer in the other day to my new truck (2014 GMC) and none of the lights would work and on the "display" said to check trailer wiring. Could a poor battery on the trailer be the problem ??? Let me know where I should start to fix this issue !! :mad:

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last two times I've pulled my enclosed aluminum trailer....the exterior lights flicker like a disco.(Like a bad ground). I've checked the connection and it seems good....took the plug out and "blew" into it and reconnected it and no better. NOW....I did notice my interior light is burnt out. Would that effect it ??? Where does an aluminum trailer "ground" ?? The plug??? the hitch ??? The other goofy thing is ...I plugged that trailer in the other day to my new truck (2014 GMC) and none of the lights would work and on the "display" said to check trailer wiring. Could a poor battery on the trailer be the problem ??? Let me know where I should start to fix this issue !! :mad:

Start easy, check if wires r tight in the trailer plug, then if u got a junction box check there for loose wires too, then find grounds for loose or corrision. The ext lights flicker when they r turned on? Or when switched off?

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found many corroded connections on my trailer. I would pull the lights and see what those connections are like. None of mine were waterproof.

• Recommends
Reactions: RXN

camarogreg

Reaction score
I've used wd40 and a wire brush to clean the contacts of the plug and the female plug on the truck. I'm not sure about the trailer battery wiring.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this morning ....I checked the burnt out interior light.....and it was good ?????????? I also WD-40ed the trailer plug and truck. AND still no interior light ????? Still trying to figure this stupid problem out ??

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On our trailer, the truck lights have to be turned on.
Also, if the trailer battery is dead, I get an error message on the dash of my truck.
For the flickering lights, I would make sure the ground wire in your truck and trailer are secure. It will ground through the trailer ball but it will be an intermittent connection at best.

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

Boobage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the trailer would most likely ground @ the hitch. It's definitely a bad wire/ground. I would check every connection from light to the hitch and if anything even somewhat look suspect take it apart and properly solder and heat-shrink the connections. I dont think a trailer manufacturer exists that do proper electrical connections they all use cheap crimp style that after two years are sure to be corroded.
...get the heavier style heat-shrink that has a "glue" inside that makes a great waterproof connection.
Good Luck!
:)

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On our trailer, the truck lights have to be turned on.
Also, if the trailer battery is dead, I get an error message on the dash of my truck.
For the flickering lights, I would make sure the ground wire in your truck and trailer are secure. It will ground through the trailer ball but it will be an intermittent connection at best.
I wonder if that's my issue ....... about a month ago ...I left my truck and trailer hooked up and didn't drive it for about 4 days ....went out and truck was DEAD !!! boosted it (the truck) and got it going but since then no interior light and the flickering.(the trailer) Hmmmmmmm ???
Taking it to my local trailer repair ....see what he thinks ?? Let everyone know when I find out !!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya unless its flickering stationary there is a wire/connection somewhere that is on the way out causing flickering with vibration and movement

butters

Reaction score
Connect a pair of booster cables from the trailer frame to the truck frame or hitch. This will ground the trailer to the truck to test things out.

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Bullseye, your trailer will have a ground on the bottom of the frame where the v-nose starts. There should be two white wires running into the connector. I have had a couple fail and that's always where I find the problem. Give me a call if you have any questions. I might have to run down to Calgary on Thursday to deliver a trailer for a customer. If I do I can swing by and look at it for you. :beer:

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Bullseye, your trailer will have a ground on the bottom of the frame where the v-nose starts. There should be two white wires running into the connector. I have had a couple fail and that's always where I find the problem. Give me a call if you have any questions. I might have to run down to Calgary on Thursday to deliver a trailer for a customer. If I do I can swing by and look at it for you. :beer:

Well....... after a bit of running around and talking to a few guys ........got it fixed !!!! Ron...you are right ...it was the ground at the front of the v-nose. I guess after all this salt and water it caused a bit of corrosion. AND I had some issues with the truck too.... my 5-wheel plug where it was graphed on to my truck's wiring haress had corrosion issues too. The fella's at "Hitch Depot" in Red Deer were a BIG help !!! If you ever need help..... call them up !!

Truck and Trailer all fixed !!!! Yee Haw !!!!!

Top Bottom