Electrical short in my enclosed trailer

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've traced all the wires, grounds, batteries and everything looks ok. I wrapped more electrical tape around some, checked the lights and other connections, but the fuse on my battery still pops.

What should I do? At this point, I'm about to replace everything! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does your trailer have it owns battery? My neighbours holiday trailer had a dead short in it. He tried everything and checked everything. And it ended up being a bad ground wire. The wire looked good had no cracks or corrosion, but put a multi meter on it and it would show lots of resistance. He put a new ground wire and boom it's been all fixed.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Does your trailer have it owns battery? My neighbours holiday trailer had a dead short in it. He tried everything and checked everything. And it ended up being a bad ground wire. The wire looked good had no cracks or corrosion, but put a multi meter on it and it would show lots of resistance. He put a new ground wire and boom it's been all fixed.

been texting with J this afternoon, it's only popping off the truck, not off the invertor/charger, I'm thinking its a bad wire from the 7-pin to the battery, or as you said a chitty ground from the truck. I'll go drink some beers with him and try to help him out soon :)

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been texting with J this afternoon, it's only popping off the truck, not off the invertor/charger, I'm thinking its a bad wire from the 7-pin to the battery, or as you said a chitty ground from the truck. I'll go drink some beers with him and try to help him out soon :)

Beer fixes everything!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've traced all the wires, grounds, batteries and everything looks ok. I wrapped more electrical tape around some, checked the lights and other connections, but the fuse on my battery still pops.

What should I do? At this point, I'm about to replace everything! :(

What is shorting, or y do u think it has a short ??

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a fuse on the charging wire and another on the device wire (lights etc). The device wire fuse keeps popping.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to check your break away battery, The B+ feed from your truck is used to charge this circuit.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the trucks marker lights fuse keeps blowing??

Or the trucks trailer brake fuse keeps blowing??

Or the trucks fuse to charge is blowing ??

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue on my continental cargo trailer the wires for the interior light switch were pinched between the plywood on the wall and the metal frame. It took a while to find because it wasn't killing the break away battery as i thought it should but continental wires their trailers so the truck charge wire only works the interior lights and doesn't charge the battery.

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it looks like it was the roof rack the previous owner put on. Used self taping screws and where he installed is in the wiring tray area. Removed the screws and filled the holes with silicone. Hasn't popped a fuse since.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
So it looks like it was the roof rack the previous owner put on. Used self taping screws and where he installed is in the wiring tray area. Removed the screws and filled the holes with silicone. Hasn't popped a fuse since.

That makes sense actually.

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will see if I need to replace the batteries now.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wouldn't call that fixed, just diagnosis

I'd still fix it and check wires

One of the first things I do being a auto tech, u check for aftermarket -non factory installed stuff.. And disable it ect

Had a 99 corvette the other day with a evaporate leak... Dropped fuel tank where canister and vent valve is

Found self tapping screws just about through the top of the tank ( someone installed those fake head rest crash chrome hoops ) with self tappers...

Took drivers side tank out and found one screw through the tank psi sensor line tee... Would have still had issues with out looking into other tank

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting into the area where these wires are will require removing the walls inside. :( was really hoping not to have to do that.

Top Bottom