Enclosed Trailer Project

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

just thought id post my progress and share ideas as this is my first go around with an enclosed sled trailer. picked up a 30 foot HH mid winter and im looking at modifying it.

to start i have MANY questions..

1. sway hitch - do you guys run them? never had an issue all winter but while pulling it home last week in the wind fully loaded it was pulling the rear end of the dodge 2500 around pretty good. im wondering if this is due to the big mud tires...they seem almost like marshmellows to me for handling.

2. electrical system - trailer came with just lights on the inside/basic brakeaway and exterior marker lights. im looking to upgrade it to a bulletproof brakeaway system. a stereo, heater, 120v plugins. 12v lights.

i want to be able to camp with it etc etc. i plan to run an inverter to power the 120v plugs. my question is for the independent 12v accessores. do you guys run a seperate car battery inside for powering the accessories incase it was not plugged into the truck? how do you charge it? solar or trickle charger?

or do most of you run a hotline from the truck and just switch it to accessory to run your stereos and interior lights?

3 - floor coatings - whats the best? thinking of a traction type roll on paint? home depot? going to install superglides overtop so not worried about durability for carbides just for walking.

4 -insulation - going to use 2" foamboard behind the panels. good?

5 - brake parts - where do you guys get your rebuild kits for the brakes? one of mine is squeeking id like to check it out and fix it up/inspect the others.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can give you some insight into question #1. Get used to the truck moving around pulling a big trailer in side winds. It can be a little like "the tail wagging the dog" if you know what I mean? :):beer:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We put the sway bars on our 27 foot enclosed. Much better pulling....found that the trailer was pushing our Chevy 1500 HD around a little too much. Since we installed them, it pulls like a dream.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the brakes I personally just buy all new backing plates,they come complete,just bolt them on and adjust,there around 80 bucks out here for a 10ooo lb trailer

Cameo

Reaction score
Beotheck trailers (SP???) on 74th Ave between 24 and 59 Street is good for pricing on brakes, the complete backing plate is the easiest and not too pricey. bring in the backing plate and all, just unbolt it from the axel and they can match it up. grab a complete extra set of bearings and seals at the same time and store them in the trailer...handy when on the side of the road.

For power, run 2-6volt set up just like the RV's...see the battery thread that is always on-going, then you can run all the stuff you need, and not worry about killing the truck battery. Use an isolation switch on the truck. you can use these trailer batteries to power a breakaway switch which is real easy to wire in. I also wire in a set of back-up lights on my trailers, as I never seem to be parking in day light, and a 28 foot trailer behind a long box crew cab makes it difficult to see the ars end. I will be adding some off the sides, at mid point diaganlly rear facing to both my car and RV trailers this year. thats what the yelow wire in the 7-pin connector is for, and if you have one of those Tees for the factory harness on the truck, the reverse light is already there....I just figured that out this year, like an idiot, I wired mine in seperately before...oops

The sway control should only be used in dry conditions, as per the label on mine. personally i never use it, but my brother-in-law swears by it after rolling his truck and trailer. we share a travel trailer, he uses it, I don't. we both always use the equalized bars though.

Dont forget a place to mount the BBQ bottle, and the weiner sticks!

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will add my 2cents worth, maybe its not worth that much. I pretty much rebuilt the used enclosed I got out of Wa. State. The wiring was the worse, pretty much all the wiring for the electric brakes were gone. I got a hoppy "engager single/dual axle trailer breakaway" kit from p/auto(part #8002177). I know p/auto, but anybody sells hoppy brake stuff. It has led lights on the cover to tell you the condition of the battery, very straight forward on how to install/wire it. Then took a tip from Longhorn, when not hooked to the truck, the little battery goes dead. Got a solar panel from p/auto, it keeps the battery charged up ready to go. Then wont have any valemount cop issues with dead battery. They have them on sale once & awhile, think it was under $10bucks.

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed a 34000 btu suburban rv style furnance. Works great and safe. The bracket was made by a guy in red deer alberta but grassland trailer sales it were i got mine. I also did a ac/dc Panel . The heater, propane tank,ac/dc Panel came from Low Priced RV Parts, RV Accessories RV Supplies
With the AC/DC panel I can power the trailer from my house, off of my truck or batteries. I think two 6v batteries are the way to go. I got my cabinets from TrailerCabinets.com | Quality Aluminum Cabients :: Home. Here are some pics of my trailer

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Propane%20tank.jpg
    Propane%20tank.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 982
  • Heater.jpg
    Heater.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,042
  • trailer%20plug.jpg
    trailer%20plug.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,037

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
started working on it.

solar panel on roof to maintain rv battery.

262951_10150289342173112_515398111_7643466_6916107_n.jpg

starting insulation

263359_10150288984958112_515398111_7638943_7620927_n.jpg
294269_10150290401178112_515398111_7656895_5039493_n.jpg

cabinet for electronics installed

262517_10150289347233112_515398111_7643595_8026669_n.jpg

the wiring begins..
- solar panel
-rv battery
- 1000w inverter
-car stereo
-brakeaway system
-switch box
-solar battery maintainer
- junction

300373_10150290298408112_515398111_7656070_1758230_n.jpg

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They do make just a sway bar kit for trailers, but it sounds like most of you are taking about an weight Distribution hitch.

Go have a chat with the good folks at Pioneer Hitch.

Attachments

• Dual Cam Sway Control.JPG
    Dual Cam Sway Control.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 705
  • Friction Sway Control.JPG
    Friction Sway Control.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 704
  • Weight Dist & Sway Control.JPG
    Weight Dist & Sway Control.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 710
  • Weight Distrubtion Hitch.JPG
    Weight Distrubtion Hitch.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 751

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Standens brake supply in West Edmonton best prices for drums and brake assemblys..Redid my featherlite last year all drums and backing plates for under $400
I picked up a new Atwood furnace off ebay for under $200
2 6 volts the only way to go Rockys Batteries, 12 volt convertor to keep them topped up, and a 12 volt fuse panel check some rv dealers I went to Carefree rv they gave me one that had a crack on it
Underbelly propane tank found one at a RV store hard to come by
Cabinets and ducting lots of options i fabbed all my own, tons of work but savings were huge
Seat benches are nice i put a couple in last year
Insulated underbelly last year as well with spray foam, a guy on the southside $650 for 28' trailer made a huge difference for holding the heat.. With a small squirrel type fan from princess auto on the floor sleds and trailer floor are dry with in a couple hours..

Attachments

• featherlite.jpg
    featherlite.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 705
  • featherlite pics.jpg
    featherlite pics.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 706
  • DSC04331.jpg
    DSC04331.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed a 34000 btu suburban rv style furnance. Works great and safe. The bracket was made by a guy in red deer alberta but grassland trailer sales it were i got mine. I also did a ac/dc Panel . The heater, propane tank,ac/dc Panel came from Low Priced RV Parts, RV Accessories RV Supplies
With the AC/DC panel I can power the trailer from my house, off of my truck or batteries. I think two 6v batteries are the way to go. I got my cabinets from TrailerCabinets.com | Quality Aluminum Cabients :: Home. Here are some pics of my trailer

The guy in Red Deer is Dean at Allan Dale, but I was just in there he is going out on his own shorty, so maybe a little cheaper! He makes some nice stuff.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone know where i can buy diamond plate? need probly 4- 4x8 sheets or 8 2x8 sheets.

will be expensive if i have to buy 2x2 squares from canadian tire for 50 bucks a pop :eek:

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
If you wouldnt have been such a douche in the first place and bought your trailer from your best buddy like a REAL friend would do... NONE OF THIS WOULD BE A PROBLEM. In the mean time... I will sit here and bitch......And let you spend all the money and time fixing it up....Then load my sled in it and let you take me sledding in it... and PROBABLY bitch some more.

T-Team

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone know where i can buy diamond plate? need probly 4- 4x8 sheets or 8 2x8 sheets.

will be expensive if i have to buy 2x2 squares from canadian tire for 50 bucks a pop :eek:

Give Rennee @ Blindman Aluminum Welding here in Rimbey a call. (403) 391-1407 I buy all my sheet and stock aluminum through him. I'm sure 0.065" is all you'd need.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about spray in box liner for the flooring? Or the stuff that you can apply yourself like the HERCULINER? just an idea

Top Bottom