Enclosed trailer advice.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying an enclosed trailer for the first time. Lots of options out there as far as manufactures go, width, thickness on interior and exterior walls, steel or aluminium, screwed or glued outside panels, #3500 or #5200 axles. V-nose or flat front. The list goes on and on.

So I'm here to get some advice as far as what to look for and what you would stay away from and also what you would recommend and why?

I will mostly be using this trailer in the summer for hauling quads. I want to fit 3 big bore quads in the trailer. So originally I was thinking an 8.5' by 16 so I can set them in sideways but one dealer has a 7' by 18' and says it will still fit 3 in at an angle. Haven't tried it yet but it doesn't seem I would have much room for gear if I went with the 7' wide but he says it pulls way easier than an 8 or 8.5. Also I might add NONE of the trailers I'm looking at are "deck over". Im not sure I fully understand why an 8.5 handles so much worse than a 7', so if somebody can help I would appreciate it. Also more interested in steel vs aluminium because I feel aluminum will flex and fatigue over time and become cracked. Also a salesman recommended I get the panels screwed on the side cause on those longer trailers they "twist" and will pop the glued seam. Not sure if this is real but he claims he has had to fix cases like this.

What are good reliable manufactures and what are some not so good manufactures?

Anything will help if you can give any advice I will certainly read it and I would appreciate it all. Hope this doesn't turn into a pissin match but can rather be an ongoing informational thread.

Thank you all in advance. :beer:

Sent while using Tapatalk 2

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't owned or pulled a 7' wide trailer but i did compare during my purchase in the spring.. Found the wheel wells sticking out of the floor to be a pain, nice that the trailer is lower for pulling but get's in the way when moving around inside, xtra foot of width X the length is alot of square footage difference..

I went with a trails west rpm last fall and really like the trailer.. Steel frame that's pitched over the axle and has a hump right across the floor over the axle, allows the trailer to sit lower like 7' wide and also keeps the tail end lower so approach angle on the ramp is minimal so i can easily get my rzr in as the doorway is 7' high, inside the walls are riveted and outside panels adhered with 3m strips so it's a real clean look.. I'm sure the narrower trailer may be easier to pull but to get the same square footage with a 7' wide you need to go longer to equal out..

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We purchased a 7 x16 raised roof. I had it sprayed on the floor and 1 foot up the walls with the box liner spray.
Also rear ramp door.
We haul our 900 Rzr inside. Tows easy.
Reason for a raised roof was more head room, rxr fits and we will use it hunting or even overnight trips and sleep in it sometimes.

our friends purchased a v nose 16 foot low style. 800 Rzr has to let air out of tires. Seems like it makes you bend down inside with low ceiling. Also they have barn door and require ramps all the time.

As for walls. We found some cheaper trailers had thin crappy flexible boards on the walls. I talked to a guy who had this and he hauled 2 wet quads inside and the walls all warped. So look at plywood walls that are thicker.

Side door. We preferred the side door with the optional trailer style on it. So it's like a rv has its own latch and lock so if you use it to sleep you can lock the door. It's also has the bar outside latch for traveling.

Vents. Have at least 1 roof vent.

I am installing a 2 inch receiver on the floor in the front. This way I can slide in a winch and run the wires to the truck.
For loading quads or other stuff.

Hope this info helps a bit

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I'll be much help but when we bought ours, we were pumped just to be getting an inclosed trailer which is a 28' x 8' royal with 3500lbs. axles. 4 years later we are wishing we went with 8.5 wide about 6" taller and 5000lb axles and insulated walls and a couple feet longer. I couldn't imagine getting a 7' wide trailer.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have 2 rance trailers in the family, 8.5w x 23'L (mine & dads) and 8.5w x 26'long (brothers). Aluminum, much lighter tows great, doesnt get the beaten up look (frame wise) like the steel trailers do (i had an 8.5x19 steel pace american prior to the rance), dont see the warping/durability issue you speak of but I am also not all experienced in trailers and the towing world lol. Vnose pulls much much better than a flat nose. Its a bit of give and take with usable space, but if your thinking of putting mudders in sideways, seems it will be a lot of work getting them in and out of a flat nose. The smaller rance nose also dips down, makes a difference in the tow, but if your a heavy quad user i really do not recommend doing that! Way too tight on loading. Need at least 6' clearance inside, get the taller doors too just all around more comfortable. Side man door is also nice w locks as mentioned, ours are mid trailer, mind how they place it in relation to your axles, makes your step options limited which can suck (pace american was only a bar, awkward to say the least, our rances have sliding steps like a motorhome). 7 i really would think is too small, especially if you have to start dealing with the wheel wells! May be less of a pain with atv's but I am certainly not a fan. My parents have 2 Arctic Cat 700 4x4's, stock, only mod is nicer rims/wheels. This actually makes the quad say 2" wider and we cannot put them side by side in the trailer (and its an 8.5). Its a squeeze to put my ktm race quad next to one in there. Usable space like others said is much greater in an 8.5.

3m panels is def the way to go, once again on the steel i had bolted panels and you lose screws, the screws rust, looks like chit. diamond plate or box liner the side walls 6-14" for sure, really helps them from gettin beat up. Diamond plate the front of the trailer too, whether its just 3' or the whole thing. If you are going new there is a rubberized type flooring (no idea what its called) but to me it would be worth having, missed out on it in mine. You may need the heavier axles if your concerned about bein legal limits, as mud machines are heavy. My 23' aluminum comes in at 1900#, has 2x2500# axles. We put 3 sleds plus gear in it - no i have never taken it to the scales. Our trailer can be plugged into a wall outlet or run off the vehicle power, can be kind of nice out camping and such to have std household plug-in in the trailer (cant use on truck power). Long tongue trailer is also nice for manouvering (mines about 3'). Insulated walls help with camping, same as having roof vent. We have the flow through vents as well which are great, and can also close them when we want.

Wow sorry didn't mean to write so much chit haha long-short of it: 8.5w vnose aluminum 3500#axles full size doors, side door, vents, 3m outer, insulate inner, power outlets/options :) IMO

Hope this helps

blar

Reaction score
I have a 8.5x16 V-nose and there is no way I could get 3 big bore quads in it.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're interested in the 7', send a pm to Firefly. Great guy, knows his products. I had a 7 x 23. Fit two rhinos easily. Its an 18' box, 5' V. To fit the rhino, had to get 6" higher and a beavertail. Had this trailer "borrowed" without the intent of returning, but ordered another one from Firefly but now 7 x 25. I found the 7' pulls nicer since its more streamline with the truck and lower to the ground. Never had an issue with it, for the year of my possession anyways. You will find pros and cons with every trailer, size etc.

I would stay away from the riveted walls. With the dissimilar metals, the panel oxidizes to nothing, leaving big holes around the rivet. When you see a used trailer that is riveted, look at the bottom and you will see what I'm talking about.

Best thing to do once you narrowed down your search is to compare apples to apples. Really pay attention to the std features of the trailer. Some only offer 0.030" wall thickness with option to upgrade while some are 0.040" thick as standard equip...

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive had a couple, The aluminum look better and tow a lot better, Same with the v nose (flat nose looks dated)

I like glued panels instead of screws cause the last one I had the screws fell out and backed out and rusted.

The one I got now is a 27 ft Mission aluminum v nose. it was a good price and has lots of nice features, pulls real good compare to the Haulmark I had last.
Never owned one but the NEO's look nice.

Several brands are all owned by the same company (REITS) I am not sure if thats good or bad, prob bad since their bottom line is the main goal.

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im rocken a NEO 22' with 5' V-nose 8.5 wide and extra height, aluminium, with furnace, nudu flooring, insulated, 2 roof vents, bunks,110v package,3500lbs torsion axles, e-track system, and cabinets. things I would get different next time are .040 sides, 5200lbs axles, infloor heat ducts, under floor storage, and some type of guard for the front end. hopefully this will give you some ideas on what you want or need.

DragonCFI

Reaction score
I bought a 7 x 23 from Firefly last fall nice trailer, He also has 8.5 wide trailers too. I like the all aluminum trailer don't have to worry about it rusting out and it weight the same loaded as an steel one empty will. He knows his stuff.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what ever you do, be it full aluminum or steel, i would beef up the axles. i have owned and also operated several trailers ranging in size ect and it always seemed like the 3500# axles caused grief. i have 5200# axles under my MTI 16x 8.5 with 7.5 height and a ramp. interior dimensions are 8'1" wide x 16'6" long. how long is a average big bore quad 7.5'-8'? are they over 4' wide? should easy get 3 in there no?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont have any atv experience with enclosed trailers but LOVE my 8.5. 3m panels are the way to go. looks nicer and the rivets dont rust out and wear through the panels. they also dont look all twisted. mines a 2008 and still in mint shape no issues with the 3m panels. they arent going anywhere. mines a deck over and i wouldnt have it any other way for the sleds. but maybe for atvs thats not as big of a deal. i do wish i went with the extra roof height now that im getting more into sxs. ive hauled a bunch of diffferent trailers, low ones, 7 wide ones and i really never noticed a difference. maybe in extreme winds. mine is all steel and as long as you take care of it it will last a long time but aluminum is deffinetly prefered.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what ever you do, be it full aluminum or steel, i would beef up the axles. i have owned and also operated several trailers ranging in size ect and it always seemed like the 3500# axles caused grief. i have 5200# axles under my MTI 16x 8.5 with 7.5 height and a ramp. interior dimensions are 8'1" wide x 16'6" long. how long is a average big bore quad 7.5'-8'? are they over 4' wide? should easy get 3 in there no?

Rough measurements of mine are 86" long by 52" wide. And for rotating purposes once its in the trailer its 94" approximately diagonally

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also recommend contacting Ron (aka Firefly) at Paradis Motorsports (780-970-4940). He is a dealer for Legend all aluminum trailers, and can go through all the options available. You can look through what he has in stock or he can custom order form Legend. He has an awesome draftsman that can provide to scale drawings of the layout showing location of lights, cabinets, doors, and other options you choose. Provide rough dimensions on what you want to haul and that can be laid out too. A good guy to deal with.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too recommend dealing with Ron (Firefly) .... I custom ordered my first "Legend" trailer (7x21 front&rear ramp) thru him and he was VERY helpful and VERY reasonable with price. He was very helpful as well with getting a few "extras" (more interior lights, load lights,overhead storage, etc) and at very good pricing. He is a no pressure type guy and I didn't feel obligated to buy.

I liked "that" trailer so much I bought two more ...for my business from him. I have had no issues with any of the 3 trailers and they tow great. All my trailer are v-nosed and cut the wind pretty well. I like the aluminum frame .....as they stay looking nicer and are lighter to tow when empty.

Quality product sold by a quality guy !!!

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i second that on almost any trailer, we bent an axle on one of our triple 7000lb flat decks, wishing i went with 12000lb axles instead

so it can happen

Superclamp

Reaction score
I also recommend contacting Ron (aka Firefly) at Paradis Motorsports (780-970-4940). He is a dealer for Legend all aluminum trailers, and can go through all the options available. You can look through what he has in stock or he can custom order form Legend. He has an awesome draftsman that can provide to scale drawings of the layout showing location of lights, cabinets, doors, and other options you choose. Provide rough dimensions on what you want to haul and that can be laid out too. A good guy to deal with.

Yes, Ron is great to deal with , also make sure you get him to show you Superglides II Pros and Superclamps for Snowmobiles and ATV/UTVs for your inclosed trailer

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rough measurements of mine are 86" long by 52" wide. And for rotating purposes once its in the trailer its 94" approximately diagonally

so 3 should fit easily with room for gear in one like mine if you dont mind shifting the quads around.
of course there is the fenders inside to deal with. they are 72" long and stick out 7" and start 36" from the back.
its tight between the fenders but should work. maybe a 7 wide thats 21' long or so would be the answer. easier to see around for sure.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody heard of bravo trailers or have experience with one? What's your opinion?

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im rocken a NEO 22' with 5' V-nose 8.5 wide and extra height, aluminium, with furnace, nudu flooring, insulated, 2 roof vents, bunks,110v package,3500lbs torsion axles, e-track system, and cabinets. things I would get different next time are .040 sides, 5200lbs axles, infloor heat ducts, under floor storage, and some type of guard for the front end. hopefully this will give you some ideas on what you want or need.http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn153/mylesc46/20120712_134149.jpghttp://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn153/mylesc46/20121104_143711.jpg
Very nice trailer, what is the weight of your trailer & price? Also, is there any extra insurance charge for having furnace & propane bottles? I'm also looking for a trailer, thanks

Top Bottom