Emergency Response Planning

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a thread to discuss the specifics of safety in the backcountry. Beacons, SOS devices, who you discuss your days plan with, contact info, radio channels, new technology and anything pertaining to having a safe and successful sled trip.

I "usually" tell my wife and at least one more person about where I am going for the day and with whom. I am guilty of having not checked out or back in with her a few times and usually get an azz chewin for it. I know I could be better and have treated it lightly in the past. I know I am not perfect but pledge to try and be better each time.

I dont have an InReach but that is going to change. This applies both in BC sledding and in my hunting, fishing and trapping activities at home. Most of these areas have zero cel reception and the peace of mind would be appreciated by both myself and my family. I am also going to be enrolling in my AST1 and start riding with an airbag. (I know, I know).

I doo encounter other riders out there that are waaaay less prepared than I, but realizing there is room for improvement is my first step. I dont want to be an example of what not to doo. Lets all get it right, every time, our lives depend on it.

Holio

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
i will be buying a in reach before my first ride this year.And going through what i carry with me

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Great start to an important thread Joel, particularly, after the events of the last week. Most of us are all too complacent. Mother Nature can be a mean beotch and we need to be able to help ourselves and the buddies we are riding with. My most important piece involving safety is my experience and what is in my brain (I'll admit, some days that doesn't seem like much). Throttle Decisions is about avalanche safety but IMHO, there is way more than an avalanche to be concerned about and dealing with some of the breakdowns can be a real challenge when all one has is duct tape and a few tools. Companion Rescue is all important out there because in many cases that is all there is. It is more than avalanche rescue! Broken limbs, bad sprains, separated shoulders, torn knees, and blown motors all require some form of "rescue". Who really thinks about these things?

Besides the problems of Mother Nature, helicopters are expensive and they can't land everywhere. I am very cognizant of the "what ifs" and steep mountain terrain and creek draws come to the forefront. Creeks run down hill and normally wear the soil away from the big rocks as they progress on their course. Real "Tiger Traps" as one of my buddies is saying quite a bit lately. There are times when we have had no alternative but to follow a creek out but we walked it first with snowshoes to make sure we could get the sleds out that way. More often than not, there is a waterfall and/or vertical drop off somewhere along the course. People tend to go down the terrain when in trouble but don't think about the fact that most of the times the only way out is up and the further down the slope one goes the harder it is to get out. It is very simple to stop and wait for help but it can be very humbling. Radio contact saves a lot of grief.

All too often people aren't thinking of handling consequences of a broken leg or worse. Even pulling broken down sleds out of the places they take us these days can be a real chore and sometimes there is no alternative but the chopper. City people are conditioned to cell service and even in most staging areas off the beaten path there is no cell service. Hell, there are staging areas where one can't reach a satellite due to trees and the mighty rocks. I have found the inReach invaluable for peace of mind and keeping those at home in the know. Buddies use the SPOT and some have SAT radios. To each their own. One needs to be able to communicate in times of emergency. It is important to practise with these devices and find their limitations.

Yes, we need to work on our short comings, but like Joel says, "it is to realize the short coming first"...................that is the first step.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had it beat into my head since I first started riding bikes to let someone know the general area I was going in case something were to happen they have a general area to start looking. And if plans change to advise accordingly.
And I got spot in the event of an emergency and have used it both for an emergency and to check in periodically with my wife / family as she worries when I'm in the mountains. Best investment I've ever made next to my helmet and avy bag / gear.

I encourage all to do the above as a min. Aim for the best time, plan for the worst.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a real eye opener for a lot of people. I have had my share of breakdowns, had to leave sleds for a month+ in the back. Tended many on hill injuries and even had some myself. I am usually fairly well equipped, but have honestly let my gear lack in quantity. I used to be the go to guy on the hill for breakdowns and ability to "MacGuyver" **** back together to get us off the hill.
Preparedness is everything! But you cant bring everything.

Also, some have not learned. Just seen this morning there is a Lost sledder in Yanks Peak. Atleast there SnR is calling for sledders help to locate. More people searching, the better IMHO

IMPORTANT NOTICE - PLEASE READ AND SHARE TO ALL SNOWMOBILERS RIDING YANK'S PEAK RIDING AREA TODAY,
Sunday, December 13, 2015, Search and Rescue (Williams Lake, 100 Mile & Prince George) along with members of the Williams Lake Powder Kings have a search on-going at Yank's Peak. We encourage you to come today to lend a hand with searching for a lone snowmobiler. Search and Rescue personnel will be at the parking lot at Yank's Peak to provide you with information. As well, the search headquarters will be at the Yank's Peak Safety Cabin. Please stop in at the cabin for further details and up-to-date information. NOTE - there will be a helicopter flying over the area mid-morning searching. Thank you for your help.
Sue Price, Safety Director
Williams Lake Powder Kings Snowmobile Club

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Planning is always the most important thing you can do in life, no matter what it is.
I always thought i was more than prepared to travel anywhere i go.

Even driving to work, I ensure there is gloves, toque, etc in my vehicle just in case.

I carry an avy pack and every nook and cranny of the bag, storage areas on the sled is crammed full.

The one thing I never carried was a cheap, small, plastic whistle. (I do now).
One of group was stuck with the sled holding him down, he could not reach his radio.
He could reach his whistle attached to his coat. It was freaking amazing how far that whistle carried!

Found him in no time.

Real cheap investment that is overlooked. Batteries dont go dead, dont need satellites, etc.

Sometimes in this day and age of the elctronic gadget world, we forhet some of the easiest and most basic things.....

Buy a whistle and attach it to your gear.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing we try is that all person in group dont go down until a couple can go down and back up. That way someone is still up to go for help. We also carry a couple 100 ft of small rope and a couple small pulleys so if sled breakes down we can use other sled and rigging to get it out. Park good sled up hill half lenght of rope . Put rope through pulley and tie to the bumper and on head down hill which pulls up dead sled. Works good.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent idea kimrick, there will be a whistle going in my coat pocket when I get home!! I have pretty much everything except for an avy pack but that's next on the list. I do have Spot to check in with the missus and all the guys in my group(inc me) have a small VHF radio with about 200 channels in it, that stays in my coat as well in case I can't get at my pack. Got it for about $80.

I'm an ex EMT and volunteer firefighter and I'm so thankful to have that experience and training that I can use anywhere. In times of crisis the most important thing you need to do is stay calm and come up with a plan, sometimes easier said than done. I would like to encourage anyone who hasn't taken a first aid course to do so, you never know when it will come in handy. I've taken it several times for work and it has paid for itself, I managed to save the life of a 2 year old that had stopped breathing after choking on a piece of candy. No different than with avy gear, if you don't know how to use it you're no help to your buddies!! And if you don't wear it they can't help you.

We are pushing the envelope in this sport to extreme levels compared to 30 yrs ago. My first sled was a Ski-doo Citation 377, you didn't even think about getting off a trail but the machines today, and every year, are getting us further into the back country yet people are still going out with no gear as if its a walk to the corner store. Yes everyone has the right to do as they please and no we don't need more legislation to control us but the one question that these individuals who don't have the proper gear cannot give you a sensible answer to is "Why"? That's because there is no sensible answer. I know this stuff isn't cheap, I couldn't afford to get it all at once either but I also didn't push the limits of the gear that I had on me at the time.

I guess it comes down to choice. We can do this better, safer and smarter....that's my choice, and I hope one day it's everyone else's too.

Last edited:

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've recently purchased an Inreach for Christmas. My wife always worries when I ride with new people. It was an item that I was going to purchase even before the recent events happened.
I will be going through my gear and updating. Me and my primary riding partner used to split the bigger items to keep the weight down.
We always carried the essentials on us. Always told the wives where we were riding.
I've been fortunate enough to have a friend who is part of the Revy SaR. I think that's the greatest gear that you can ride with.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be great if some of the pros would chime in. Like climbmax, norona, krazy canadian, turkey etc

bj_lucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have gotten turned around pretty quick in some socked in weather. Actually probably wouldn't haven gotten out of a situation last year below shadee lane with only 20 feet of visibility. If you don't have a gps like myself get your self "gps kit" on your iPhone. The best $9.99 I have ever spent on sledding. It tracks even with out cell service. It shows the terrain, cabin, and most of the cat track. Just pack a power pak and phone cord and charge halfway thru the day if nessisary. Just remember what cell phones can do to beacons and keep in a place accordingly. It has saved me from possibly having to call sar numerous times.

These are saved tracks from a rip last year.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a few things I will not go without, in addition to the regular avy equipment & beacon:
- A quality first aid kit
- Whistle and compass (I have a GPS and spare batteries, but they cannot always be relied upon).
- Survival gear. This includes a signal mirror, flares, magnesium firestarter, a GOOD saw, snare wire, bouillon cubes, a tin cup, bivy sack, and space blanket (among various other items)
- Dry socks / gloves / toque / additional layers
- Rope
- Various tools, most with more then one purpose
I am trained in first aid and winter survival, and always inform someone at home where I'm riding, and call them as soon as I'm in cell service once off the hill. And although I do not have an AST 1 course (blast away), I do evaluate snowpack and potential hazards throughout the day - these are skills that were passed onto me over the past 30 years. As mentioned above, plan for the worst possible conditions, and hope for the best. Ride with responsible people, and don't drink and ride or use other substances that can cause physical / mental impairment - your life may depend on it.

Top Bottom