elkford/sparwood mining jobs for equipment operators?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I was wondering if there's any jobs that you guys know of for the coal mines or similar for heavy equipment operators? I'm looking to get out of crappy flatskatchewan.

I have training and papers for operator graders, wheel loaders, double steel rollers, multiple tire rollers, sheeps foot, street sweepers, trackless MTV's (Bombardier's), i have my class 1 license. No restrictions.

Also have h2s, CPR first aid, whmis, tdg, and some other oilfield driving safety.

If anyone could give me a number or a mailing address with someone i could talk to about this it would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Phone and talk to somebody (get pro-active and don't wait for ads). They are always in need of workers (all kinds) in either Elkford (Fording, Green Hills, or Line Creek) and/or Sparwood (Elk View or Coal Mountain, although CM is slowing down of late).

Central Recruiting office: 250-425-8800 or 1-866-425-8801

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not the area your looking for, but there are good opportunities around Chetwynd and Tumbler Ridge with Peace River Coal and Willow Creek Mines.
Food for thought....Powder King ski hill just up the road from Willow Creek Mines has an average annual snow fall of forty feet.
Good luck with the job hunt.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Phone and talk to somebody (get pro-active and don't wait for ads). They are always in need of workers (all kinds) in either Elkford (Fording, Green Hills, or Line Creek) and/or Sparwood (Elk View or Coal Mountain, although CM is slowing down of late).

Central Recruiting office: 250-425-8800 or 1-866-425-8801
I sent an email with my resume and everything, haven't heard back for a response yet. I will make a phone call soon.
Not the area your looking for, but there are good opportunities around Chetwynd and Tumbler Ridge with Peace River Coal and Willow Creek Mines.
Food for thought....Powder King ski hill just up the road from Willow Creek Mines has an average annual snow fall of forty feet.
Good luck with the job hunt.
I will check that out tomorrow. Maybe send in a resume, i will have to check out the housing situation first. Could have best job but if there's no housing then it's not worth it. Thank you for the kind words.

Right now everythings up in the air, i was at work and hurt myself in the payloader, hit an unmarked man hole. It stopped the loader dead, killed it. Sent the manhole 20 feet in the air 30 feet forward, broke the cast iron ring and the cement holding it in. Gave myself a moderate to severe case of whiplash according to the chiropractor, along with soft tissue damage. Damn waist belts... Should be all recovered by the 8th according to my physiotherapist though.

Last edited:

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you have your tickets to run equipment but no real actual hands on experience in the field? May be tough getting on as just an operator especially as a grader operator or even loader, grader especially takes years to run before I would classify you as an operator and judging buy your accident with the loader sending a manhole 20 feet in the air I think you need to slow down when operating, and have lots to learn other wise you're going to be doing a lot of job hopping. running a roller on a highway crew shouldn't be hard to get on with. Just don't be that guy that I keep interviewing that JUST because you have the tickets you can operate it because within 5 minutes of watching you we'll be able to tell.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So you have your tickets to run equipment but no real actual hands on experience in the field? May be tough getting on as just an operator especially as a grader operator or even loader, grader especially takes years to run before I would classify you as an operator and judging buy your accident with the loader sending a manhole 20 feet in the air I think you need to slow down when operating, and have lots to learn other wise you're going to be doing a lot of job hopping. running a roller on a highway crew shouldn't be hard to get on with. Just don't be that guy that I keep interviewing that JUST because you have the tickets you can operate it because within 5 minutes of watching you we'll be able to tell.

The reason why it popped was because it was cemented in. The ring/collar bust on the one half acting like a spring and went up, basically like a bar of soap when you squeeze it in your hand. I am young so I can't have years of experience operating every single piece, but i have 4 years experience on most pieces in road reconstruction. Growing up on a farm and still living on a farm means i'm not new to equipment maintenance, function, and operation. To the speed comment, I do not speed through everything. I work in close quarters and tight situations in back alleys loading windrows into trucks, 2nd gear maxes out around 10-12km/h which is what i load in so that the job doesn't take twice as long loading in 1st, and then just pushing the material down the lane and over the cuts. But IF i knew it was there, i would have taken extra precautions. I don't want to say anything on my ability with operating equipment, i don't want to spin my own tires. I appreciate the post, but i don't appreciate how the entire post was negative. Basically shooting me down and expecting me to be like everyone else.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just saying sometimes you have to get on as a labour doing the crap jobs before you get seat time in the equipment that's all and prove your self over time.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took me a day to learn how to run a buggy and a cat when I was 15. Not finishing work of course, that took a bit more time. Just saying though that tickets never used to mean CHIT back in the day, its all bout money now days and drives me insane.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
just saying sometimes you have to get on as a labour doing the crap jobs before you get seat time in the equipment that's all and prove your self over time.
Doesn't hurt to try to get into it as an operator. At least i have a little paperwork now instead of it all being just by my word that i operated the equipment.

Took me a day to learn how to run a buggy and a cat when I was 15. Not finishing work of course, that took a bit more time. Just saying though that tickets never used to mean CHIT back in the day, its all bout money now days and drives me insane.
Yes, finishing work takes years, but to operate the equipment and getting the job done takes you know how to operate the equipment well, and that i can do. I never had to pay for my tickets either, i got on the job training. In some ways the old style of running things were better, and now days style is good in others as well.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I sent an email with my resume and everything, haven't heard back for a response yet. I will make a phone call soon..........

Like I said earlier, phone them! It is too easy for them to bury your resume in the pile and not have to deal with you. Be pro-active and talk to someone with being too aggressive.....

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
come to calgary we need a loader operator for snow this winter quaranteed hours decent starting wage leaves lots of time for sleding as it dosnt snow much here anymore pm me if your interested

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
come to calgary we need a loader operator for snow this winter quaranteed hours decent starting wage leaves lots of time for sleding as it dosnt snow much here anymore pm me if your interested
I hate working in the city, i can't deal with the public anymore.

I am going to give that number a call tomorrow probably if i can remember to get around to it.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
missed the opening hours when i called i guess. And no, i do not know anyone from the area, or anyone who located to the area, never been there before in my life, don't know a single thing about the area to be honest.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
missed the opening hours when i called i guess. And no, i do not know anyone from the area, or anyone who located to the area, never been there before in my life, don't know a single thing about the area to be honest.

Dont get too excited for a call back right now. Things have slowed down right now and from the sounds of it no rebound till atleast the new year.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dont get too excited for a call back right now. Things have slowed down right now and from the sounds of it no rebound till atleast the new year.
Okay, thanks for heads up, just getting little stressed that I'm getting laid off this Thursday, and I really don't want to go on EI, not the kind of guy to take free hand outs. Would go insane not working... I'll give another call tomorrow hopefully during operational hours. Maybe I can get on phone with someone and hear some more information.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Like I said earlier, phone them! It is too easy for them to bury your resume in the pile and not have to deal with you. Be pro-active and talk to someone with being too aggressive.....

Busy with Physio and being back to work again at my current job, getting laid off November 3rd. Tried to call again tonight, but no one was there again.

I applied up at the Walter Energy Mine at Willow for a grader operator.

Going to call again to the Sparwood location to see what i can manage. I get tomorrow off.

bigneily

Reaction score
I work in Elkford at the mine for TECK, It is all union jobs, so this means seniority rules. You will not get hired as an equipment operator but as a truck driver then you'll progress through the ranks gaining seniority and then you will be asked if you want to train on equipment. Previous experience on equipment will get you in the door but that is about it. Truck drivers get about 32 buck an hr +or -. Coal price has dropped but qualified people are always in demand, Keep trying good luck.

Top Bottom