Elkford Conditions

curtisbirg

Reaction score
Anyone know how far up its plowed on either side of the river? Is it possbile to drive up a ways and turn a 4 place around?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Anyone know how far up its plowed on either side of the river? Is it possbile to drive up a ways and turn a 4 place around?

There is room on the west side at 32 km the last I heard. The east side I don't know about, but Tembec is usually pretty good at doing turnouts. You guys are living dangerously pulling big rigs up the active logging roads. Sure hope you have a VHF radio.

curtisbirg

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Its actually a few friends heading out this weekend and I will warn them as I don't know if they have a radio. Is there any snow up there worth riding?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
....... Is there any snow up there worth riding?

It is the same as everywhere else; rode out and packed. Lots of places to explore and find the untouched. There is some around. If you look at the video I posted in Snowmobile Chat (Kootenay Tree Riding Part II), that basin was all untouched powder last weekend. We were exploring and found a little gem that a lot of people rode right on past. It was sweet!

jdaniel

Reaction score
this morning a logging truck and truck pulling a snowmobile trailer collided up the valley on the elk valley road. lots of damage, fully loaded logging truck in ditch. no injuries.

Last edited:

xc_rider08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try 2 trucks, 2 trailers, 1 sled deck, 3 sleds all smashed to chit also 1 truck forced into ditch earlier from the same logging truck and one more almost ran of the road....

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
try 2 trucks, 2 trailers, 1 sled deck, 3 sleds all smashed to chit also 1 truck forced into ditch earlier from the same logging truck and one more almost ran of the road....

Wow!! Really happy no one got hurt.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What's the rest of this story? Is it a case of pick-up trucks with large trailers and no radios getting into a narrow spot on the road and logging truck couldn't stop? Or was it a pick-up truck trying to get to a safe pullout but didn't make it in time?

Active logging roads are a dangerous place to be if one doesn't have the experience of meeting those guys coming down some of the chit they have to drive.

I don't drive them without my radio on and open communication.

Lucky someone wasn't seriously hurt.

xc_rider08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the rest of this story? Is it a case of pick-up trucks with large trailers and no radios getting into a narrow spot on the road and logging truck couldn't stop? Or was it a pick-up truck trying to get to a safe pullout but didn't make it in time?

Active logging roads are a dangerous place to be if one doesn't have the experience of meeting those guys coming down some of the chit they have to drive.

I don't drive them without my radio on and open communication.

Lucky someone wasn't seriously hurt.

arrogant truck driver who wouldnt share the road. the loggers sent a email to the local sled club of elkford stateing that they were done logging this road. well as we were all heading up the lead group ran into a flat bed semi.. stopped him and told him that there was 7 more groups of sledders coming behind them. the flat bed radioed the 6 other logging trucks to inform them... everyone one of them stated they knew we were coming, including the driver that ran the others off the road and hit the 2 trucks. he clearly could see from a long distance that he could have gotten over but he made no effort to move over with resulting him hitting 2 truck b4 he finally blew his right front tire sending him into the snow bank.

there was clearly enough room to pass as the other logging trucks would pass an enclosed trailer with plenty of room for everyone spare.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
arrogant truck driver who wouldnt share the road. the loggers sent a email to the local sled club of elkford stateing that they were done logging this road. well as we were all heading up the lead group ran into a flat bed semi.. stopped him and told him that there was 7 more groups of sledders coming behind them. the flat bed radioed the 6 other logging trucks to inform them... everyone one of them stated they knew we were coming, including the driver that ran the others off the road and hit the 2 trucks. he clearly could see from a long distance that he could have gotten over but he made no effort to move over with resulting him hitting 2 truck b4 he finally blew his right front tire sending him into the snow bank.

there was clearly enough room to pass as the other logging trucks would pass an enclosed trailer with plenty of room for everyone spare.

That pretty much sucks and thanks for clarification. Not a good way to start a day of riding. Once again, glad someone wasn't hurt.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Would be nice to see a copy of this email as back up. A plowed road, fresh truck tracks, a low boy and 6 logging trucks does not sound like they were done in the area.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
When we were there Feb Long Weekend a group of us rode from the Motor Inn to the Golf Course for Dinner.

P2180182 (Large).JPG

xc_rider08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be nice to see a copy of this email as back up. A plowed road, fresh truck tracks, a low boy and 6 logging trucks does not sound like they were done in the area.

that i wouldnt have in my possession. you would have to ask the elkford snowmobile club for it. i do believe i few members on this site have the email.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
===== QUOTE TylerG ====

When we were there Feb Long Weekend a group of us rode from the Motor Inn to the Golf Course for Dinner.

===== /QUOTE ====

Nice. Cindy and Fong put on a nice meal.

Where are the Doos in that picture Tyler????? Something is missing......

There was one. The one that I'm riding for this season.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

jasoncaville

Reaction score
2 feet of fluff today behind Mear Lake. Several slides down. We rode in to the first big slide to the left once you start heading into the back of mear but it seemed like there was more to come down so we headed out. Awesome deep powder day. I'm working on a new YouTube vid for you to see.

MearDeep.jpg

Top Bottom